Transporting a 919 via pick-up truck? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By edgecrusher4444
  • 1 Post By thesickest

post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Transporting a 919 via pick-up truck?

Looks as though weather is closing in on a drive up and ride back plan to pick up the 919 this weekend. Plan B is to rent an Enterprise F150/Silverado with 6' bed. Will the bike transport this way? If so straight in or at an angle? Gate up or down? Wheel chock required? Will ratchet down the front off the triple tree. Any advice for the rear?

The seller might have access to loading dock/shop to do the loading. I've got 7' ramps if needed. I've got the unloading figured out and it might not require ramps at all, plus some very helpful neighbors to assist. So WT neighbors what do you think/advise? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womp2623 View Post
Looks as though weather is closing in on a drive up and ride back plan to pick up the 919 this weekend. Plan B is to rent an Enterprise F150/Silverado with 6' bed. Will the bike transport this way? If so straight in or at an angle? Gate up or down? Wheel chock required? Will ratchet down the front off the triple tree. Any advice for the rear?

The seller might have access to loading dock/shop to do the loading. I've got 7' ramps if needed. I've got the unloading figured out and it might not require ramps at all, plus some very helpful neighbors to assist. So WT neighbors what do you think/advise? Thanks!
I would use 4 points of straps: two up front and two in the rear in opposite directions. I'm not good with ramps into the bed of a pickup. If you choose to do so, use the clutch in first gear to control the descent as you back it down off the truck. I would also make sure the ramps are secure to the truck and cannot dislodge going up or down.

Too many You Tube videos of people who don't know what they are doing.

Just my $0.02.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
I would use 4 points of straps: two up front and two in the rear in opposite directions.

I have never understood that concept. By putting 2 straps pulling backwards you are insuring the bike moves excessively rearward if you have a failure of one of the front straps... All 4 straps should be securing the bike by pulling forward then you have redundancy to keep it secure even if 50% of your straps fail.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 PM
Tesserarius

Yeah, all your straps have to be working together, not fighting one another. They should all pull forward and down.

All pick up truck beds have grooves, those do a pretty good job of keeping the front tire in place. Sometimes, I'll let a little air out of the front tire for a bigger contact patch. If you use a ramp onto a truck, watch the "break over" point. Sometimes, an exhaust pipe will drag.

I've never likes ratchet straps. But evidentially I'm in the minority on that issue. Use good motorcycle specific straps, from a bike shop. The crap you buy from wal mart are junk.

If you're renting a vehicle, I'd at least look at one of the light duty vans. The floor is lower than a pick-up, and it's inside. If you have a trailer hitch, U Haul has a nifty single motorcycle trailer.

Wet straps grow, even the nylon ones. You may have to snug it back down if you get caught in the rain.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 01:54 AM
Tirone

https://youtu.be/3wEPbSwQGqQ

I use a three person method to lift my bikes into my compact pickup with no ramp. Front straps forward compressing the forks a little bit and rear straps to the side with only light pressure.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 AM
Sixty-9er

this worked for me in my 5' bed. whatever you do, the most important thing is to give a good shake at the end and say "that aint going anywhere" then head out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0516.jpg (293.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0517.jpg (223.7 KB, 13 views)
badmoon692008 and grgmini like this.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #7 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 AM
Greg

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I rented a cargo van from Enterprise when I picked up my 919. Strapped to the side of the van, used an old mattress to keep from hitting. Followed instructions on this vid. https://youtu.be/BptIiBQmrrA Ride home was really secure. I was able to ride the bike into the van by myself and unload easily, cargo vans have really low height. Much easier than a pick up truck.
grgmini likes this.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Tirone

I just rented a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul for about $20. Worked like a charm and it was raining cats and dogs.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks all. Some good ideas shared. My local Uhaul does not have the correct trailer. Enterprise can't guarantee me a truck with tow package. Looking into the cargo van. Worst case is I have to ride in the rain. Although riding 250 plus miles from the jump after 35 years is daunting enough!

post #10 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Pilus Posterior

My local Uhaul didn't have the correct trailer either, but I made it work. It was a standard trailer with side rails.

I also solo loaded a bike into a pickup using ramps and the $50 winch from Harbor Freight. The winch has a remote control, so I just worked the control with one hand and balanced the bike with the other. Make sure the ramps are bolted together, if you pull up the center, they might split apart, a few small bolts should keep them together.

If you use a winch, make sure you get the angles right, I was very close to hitting the front tire, attaching high helps.

IDK what the costs are to have someone transport this for you, but it might be worth it.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Closing out the thread. The wife and I made the trip and I rode the bike back 240 miles dodging thunderstorms. Riding that distance from the jump after 30 years was challenging. First order of business is getting new skins. They were originals. Yikes. Thinking about Pirelli Angel GT's.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womp2623 View Post
Closing out the thread. The wife and I made the trip and I rode the bike back 240 miles dodging thunderstorms. Riding that distance from the jump after 30 years was challenging. First order of business is getting new skins. They were originals. Yikes. Thinking about Pirelli Angel GT's.
You might have broken my record for oldest tires. Mine were 12 and 10 years old, made a HUGE difference when I got new ones.

I can't speak about which ones are best, I got the S21 under a $60 rebate and they feel awesome compared to everything I've ridden before, but that's only 2 different sets. The front is cupping, but that doesn't seem to hinder performance, but they are only a few months old.

Having read many reviews, most like the Mich Road series, but I don't ride in the rain, so that's not an issue for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode