Touch up paint recommendation - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Touch up paint recommendation

Hi,
I recently picked up an '07 919 and am looking to have the rear seat cowl and front fender resprayed. Also have a few small chips on the tank that just needs a pen, not spray. Has anyone done both pen and respray? Is it a dual color process? Where did you find paint, how did it go? Pictures or link? Did search, couldn't find anything
Thx in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190527_154530_1559230452484.jpg (106.8 KB, 9 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Left of Centre

Yep, had an auto shop mix up the right colour from their database. No experience of pens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4942.jpg (188.9 KB, 7 views)

post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ner View Post
Hi,
I recently picked up an '07 919 and am looking to have the rear seat cowl and front fender resprayed. Also have a few small chips on the tank that just needs a pen, not spray. Has anyone done both pen and respray? Is it a dual color process? Where did you find paint, how did it go? Pictures or link? Did search, couldn't find anything
Thx in advance
Depending on how close of a match you want, and how much you want to spend, here is a cheap solution I did.

Previous owner dropped it in both sides in a parking lot. Used filler and kind of a reddish pink paint, appeared to be brushed on.

I got a spray can of the closest Honda Red Duplicolor I could find at an auto parts store and a can of clear coat. Taped around the blemishes and sprayed it and clear coated it.

Isn’t perfect, but was fine from a distance, and I wasn’t looking to buy a new tank and get a real paint job. I am not a professional, as you can tell.

I believe the actual color is Honda Candy Glory Red, but I am not 100% sure, so you would need to verify.
https://www.colorrite.com/product/ho...y-red-1315.cfm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3048711A-B2A9-4290-A577-C87356D54388_1559235880277.jpg (90.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 9517E366-9184-4209-BA73-6B0E62AE2BEA_1559235916725.jpg (98.2 KB, 8 views)

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Tirone

Garage
Touch up direct has the touch up paint in all forms (Pen, brush, aerosol, pints). https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-p...pf-color=89764
There are probably other vendors that have it too.

My first suggestion would be to have the tank painted along with your cowl and fender. I know that Tri-Coat is expensive, but at least it'll match (Candy colors are difficult to match).

My second suggestion is going to get the touch up paint in brush form and get a pen like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Loew-Cornell-F...-1-spons&psc=1

It's pretty effective for rock chips:

post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 PM
Pilus Posterior

My local paint shop will match any color based on the code and it will be in the form of a 1oz bottle. I have a 66 mustang, with their version of white/cream. It costs about $15 and requires no mixing after you buy it.

It's in a plastic 1oz bottle with brush. I cleaned the mustangs holes with wax and grease cleaner and touched up about 100 chips all over the car. Took a good while, but the car looked MUCH better.

This method accounts for the hole the chip makes, you fill the hole with paint using the small brush. You can then polish it out or wet sand the small area if needed.

After compounding, polishing and waxing a few time, you couldn't tell.

I've never had the cans mixed like that and have been painting for some 30 years. I'd go for those cans if the price was fair. Just watch a few videos, take your time, let it flow out without running, use a professional cleaner NOT ACETONE, but a professional bug and tar cleaner from a real shop and let the cleaner dry fully.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Left of Centre

In my neck of the woods, rattlecans are about $15, and the matched colours [in the case of the engine case silver I had done] or database colours [Honda R101C] were $35. By the time I had tried a few different rattlecans, trying for a match on the engine cases, the $35 seemed a good deal...

R101C was two $35 cans, plus a $20 clear coat, so not cheap, but right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode