Tomorrow is the day... - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By bartsitarski
  • 2 Post By TheScientist

post #1 of 21 Old 07-27-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Tomorrow is the day...

Not sure which section this should be in because it didn't seem to fit anywhere. But anyway, tomorrow is the day that I take my motorcycle road test in Wisconsin. Not too worried. In WI we have an actual road test and not cones in a parking lot. Best part is I have to ride an hour to get there through open country roads with the weather calling for beautiful sunshine with a high of 74.

If anyone does has some advice I'll take it. It's at 10:10am so I know short notice but figured why not share. I know the basic things they look for like minimal wheelies, provide birds rather than the horn, stop on a dime, and record the whole thing. For real though, I'm hoping my exhaust isn't too loud. It's not stock and plays beautiful music when engine braking. I suppose keeping it under 4K and clutch more than engine brake. It's gonna be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 PM
919 Rider

Good luck. Wouldn't it suck getting a knock back ; )

post #3 of 21 Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 PM
Optio

Garage
Good luck!

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan

post #4 of 21 Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 AM
just send it.

Garage
I took my test in a parking lot with cones on someone else's Tawainese 125/250 'sport bike'. Don't think I even got it out of 2nd gear... But if you are looking for advice... drop the tire pressure in the rear to about 10# for MAXIMUM traction. If you feel like you aren't getting the attention you deserve, pull in the clutch and bounce it off the rev limiter a few times. That way everyone knows that YOU know exactly what you are doing...

In all seriousness. Just don't forget the gear requirements (ergo, don't show up without shoes that at least cover your ankle) and have fun.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 21 Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Alright update time. No license. I hate the DMV and this was the worst experience I've had.

The closest DMV that did moto road testing was 1 hour and 20 min away. Right before I left this morning I realized my phone never charged last night and had 12% battery left. My route was taking me into an area that I had never been so the comfort level wasn't there to begin with (having an appointment an hour away). No time to charge the phone and no time to find my external charger pack. I had exactly 1hr 55 minutes set to get there at this point. Started the bike and instantly remembered I'm on empty. Stop at the gas station. Lost a little time but I should still be good. From this point I bring up the map app and my phone goes to low power mode and is at 1%. I'm 5 min from my house with 1% battery left going somewhere I had never been! I memorize a good stretch of roads and take off. Chooching along and come to a road detour because of flooding. Go a different way that I'm fairly certain will get me where I want. It works but used a couple extra minutes. Road name numbers were not what I memorized compared to the map app so I had to stop 2 more times. Got to the DMV with 3 min to spare but alas, the line was long. It took 13 minutes to go through the line. The man called me up and said you're late. He asked the instructor if I could still go and she said NOPE. I asked if there was a wait list I could be put on. He said oh yeah for sure and said if someone doesn't show up you'll have a spot. He then said where to sit so I did. 45 minutes go by and I continually see people taking driving road tests. 1.5 hours of sitting and I realize I haven't seen any for a good 30 minutes. I go to the counter and ask the guy if I'm still on the wait list because I haven't seen anyone in a while. He said oh I looked for you but didn't see you and the instructor is done for the day. I said done for the day? It's 12:30! And I was sitting right there! I was literally 7 feet away from that front desk facing him. He never looked or called my name. I was watching. So he then says well here is a number you can call to reschedule. I said I just drove over an hour and a half to get here for nothing. Isn't the guy right over there at the other counter? He looked and said yeah. Then called up the next person in line.

No joke I'm one of the most payed back relaxed not much can get me down but this really pissed me off. Yes I was late and that was in the end my fault. But the rest of how it was handled was so horrible. DMV!!! <-- that's now a cuss word to me so I used it as such.
I called the number to reschedule and the lady said there is NOTHING available. I said what do you mean? How far out are you looking? She said as far as the website lets her. I said how is that possible? You're telling me there are no slots available till next year? She said yes, sorry. I got wide eyed and said ok and hung up. I didn't fully understand how this was possible so I called back to get some clarity. After speaking with a different woman for about 10 minutes she finally says well there are actually 2 appointments available this Wednesday. I got excited for a second and said wow really?! That's great! She said yes but it's in Madison. (Madison is 2.25 hours away from my house) I said book it.

So that's where I'm at. No license, about 5.5 hours wasted today and another 5 hours of commuting on Wednesday plus road test time. DMV!!!!!!! On a positive note the ride up there was beautiful country roads and perfect temperatures. DMV!

post #6 of 21 Old 07-28-2017, 01:37 PM
919 Rider

Those rotten buggers. That's sux, honest I was only joking about a knock back. Wish I'd keeped my mouth shut. Next time hey!

post #7 of 21 Old 07-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Can you sign up and take the MSF Motorcycle Safety Course closer to home? The way they do it in MD is you take that class and if you pass, you just go to the nearest DMV and get a motorcycle endorsement added to your license (no written or road test).

Probably more expensive than going to the DMV and taking the test, but hell you might pick up some good tips.

Either way, best of luck on the next one!

post #8 of 21 Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM
919 Rider

Just a little story.
I got my bike licence when I was 16 (long time ago) in a small country town in Australia. The local police did the testing then. Our local cop had been chewing my mates and I out for years about hooning on bikes about the bush tracks and beaches. On the day he didn't test me just said he knew I could ride, ticked all the box's and told me to piss off.
It's a lot different now.
TheScientist likes this.

post #9 of 21 Old 07-29-2017, 06:07 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Can you sign up and take the MSF Motorcycle Safety Course closer to home? The way they do it in MD is you take that class and if you pass, you just go to the nearest DMV and get a motorcycle endorsement added to your license (no written or road test).

Probably more expensive than going to the DMV and taking the test, but hell you might pick up some good tips.

Either way, best of luck on the next one!

Good thought, as that is the way it works in here in New Jersey.

It is always unfortunate to see your tax dollars wasted in such a way.

Carry on.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #10 of 21 Old 07-29-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yes, you're both right about the safety course. We can opt for that option in Wisconsin as well. I'd love to take it but it's $265 which I don't have lying around. That price is I think more through the state so the price isn't horrible for 2 days of info (6 hours classroom and 10 hours bike). There is a Harley Davidson dealer near here that charges $465 for the same thing. I'd do it if I could.

In the end yes, I'm pissed about how the employees conducted themselves but more so that I had to take a vacation day for nothing but a frustrating day. And now I'll need to take another one for Wednesday to do it again. Just a waste.

No offense taken at all islandboy about the knock back

post #11 of 21 Old 07-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Optio

Garage
The course is money well spent. Even for an experienced rider. It reminds of the fundamentals that a rider tends to forget over time. Plus you get a decent insurance discount so the company itself pays for itself over time. BTW, Dairyland had the best rates that I have found.

badmoon692008 likes this.

-Michael Jordan
post #12 of 21 Old 07-29-2017, 01:11 PM
The Cripple

Plus 1, plan on taking the course if you haven't already even if you get your endorsement.

post #13 of 21 Old 07-29-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I have no problem with taking it and agree it would be very beneficial. It just won't happen this year.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-30-2017, 05:56 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist View Post
I have no problem with taking it and agree it would be very beneficial. It just won't happen this year.

Look into community colleges in your area. Harper college by me offers one that is funded by the DOT for $20. That's where I took mine.

-Michael Jordan
post #15 of 21 Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Whoa! I could do that! Strange though because this class that is $265 is at gateway community college. Maybe it's still a privet class but using their facilities.

post #16 of 21 Old 07-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Whoa! I could do that! Strange though because this class that is $265 is at gateway community college. Maybe it's still a privet class but using their facilities.

That could very well be the case. I would look into it. Hell, even if you have to go to MATC. I think the have a campus somewhere around Oak Creek. Not too close, but an option. I would look at the DOT and DMV website for motorcycle class links. That's how I found the Harper one.

-Michael Jordan
post #17 of 21 Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

2 hr ride to the DMV but the results are...passed! Now a good 2.5 hours to get to work 0.o

badmoon692008 and Islandboy like this.

post #18 of 21 Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
2 hr ride to the DMV but the results are...passed! Now a good 2.5 hours to get to work 0.o

Way to go!

-Michael Jordan
post #19 of 21 Old 08-02-2017, 08:07 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Good job, congrats

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #20 of 21 Old 08-02-2017, 08:18 AM
919 Rider

Well done mate!

post #21 of 21 Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 AM
Milites Gregarius

well done! glad it worked out, love the dedication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode