tick noise on acceleration - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

tick noise on acceleration

has anyone out there actually had the piston slap problem taken care of on there 919's ? i know there are alot of 919's out there with the problem. is there anyone with alot of miles on there bike that have just put up with the noise? i dont want to hear some crap about it is just injector noise B.S. .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Welcome?

Anyways, is it only when its warming up or does it always sound loud?
post #3 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

tick noise

louder when cold stops around 4k. rpm. not so loud when warm

post #4 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:15 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I've got 7800 or so miles on my 919 and I find it very loud when cold to somewhat warm, then after the temp gauge settles into a normal range it tends to stop.
post #5 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

i have 13kmi. on mine now. i bought used with 10kmi. iam really disappointed that honda is noted for making a quality motorcycle and this piston slap problem seems to be quit common.

post #6 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I think piston slap/wrist pin knock is a great way of describing the sound that I hear.

Honda D Series motors used in most of the 1990-2000 civics had the same issue. It was very common.

Or, it could be that we're both looking to deep into things and its just a cold NAKED motor warming up.

Honestly, I have no idea what it is, all I know is it goes away when warm and the motor sounds like a sewing machine once up to temp.

Now if only the crappy ass transmission would shift smoothly.....
post #7 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Le So Cal Troll

its not a problem guys.... the 919 motor is one of the most reliable motors out there, you WONT see any failure of a motor from piston slap in this motor.... hell i dont think i have seen any failures period of the 919 motor that wasnt on NOs or had some type of forced induction.

just ride the thing, change the oil at 3.5-4k and u will be good.

like i have stated before. the very VERY minute amount of piston slap of the 919 is NOTHING ... you want to hear piston slap get in a 01-03 chevy silverado with the 6.0L v8... it sounds like someone put metal ball bearings free in the top end... yet after having crazy piston slap on my chevy since about 38k miles its still going strong at 130k and still pulls just as hard... it sees its 6k rpm revlimiter at least twice a week.

post #8 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
its not a problem guys.... the 919 motor is one of the most reliable motors out there, you WONT see any failure of a motor from piston slap in this motor.... hell i dont think i have seen any failures period of the 919 motor that wasnt on NOs or had some type of forced induction.

just ride the thing, change the oil at 3.5-4k and u will be good.

like i have stated before. the very VERY minute amount of piston slap of the 919 is NOTHING ... you want to hear piston slap get in a 01-03 chevy silverado with the 6.0L v8... it sounds like someone put metal ball bearings free in the top end... yet after having crazy piston slap on my chevy since about 38k miles its still going strong at 130k and still pulls just as hard... it sees its 6k rpm revlimiter at least twice a week.
I'm not worried about it, I just notice it =)
post #9 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

i dont really have a problem with the shifting. the buzzing in the handlebars is pretty bad . my exhaust does stink a little . the f'n piston slap ! i think honda i think quality. my bike is o.k. but would i sell it with peace of mind? no! honda should be hanging there heads low on this bike ! i will be riding this bike for a while at least i hope.

post #10 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:52 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclesalwayslate View Post
i dont really have a problem with the shifting. the buzzing in the handlebars is pretty bad . my exhaust does stink a little . the f'n piston slap ! i think honda i think quality. my bike is o.k. but would i sell it with peace of mind? no! honda should be hanging there heads low on this bike ! i will be riding this bike for a while at least i hope.
I highly doubt you'll have any problems with it.

run 87 octane gas doing that made my stink 10 times better, its almost not there anymore... almost.

The buzz, can be found in darn near any bike although I havent really noticed it all that much in the 919 At least doesnt seem like it has any more then normal.
post #11 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
you also must note that you will hear the motor on the 919 MUCH more than a full fairing bike simply because there are no fairings to stop the sound gettin to the rider.

like stated the 919 motor is bullet proof... only "common" failure is the Fuel pressure regulator which is a 60 dollar part and easy as hell to replace.

post #12 of 48 Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Uh.. there's a lot of engines that have low RPM piston slap, just due to how the pistons expand. That's not a fault unless you get excessive wear as a result - and people who have taken these engines apart have discovered almost no wear.

The parent bike for the 919, the CBR900RR, was known to commonly have audible cold/low-RPM piston slap from day one. This never seems to have caused a problem; nobody ever seems to have had the original engine fail due to piston slap. In fact, one is documented as having covered more than 325,000 miles without engine failure, rattling all the way. Air cooled bikes often have the same deal, even the lower performance ones.

See these threads for more discussion and a look at the real-world longevity of the bikes:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/f322/91...ncy-27224.html
https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/30-...lub-27168.html

Also, have you checked to make sure it's not the rather noisy fuel injectors?

The handlebar buzzing is due to the solid mount bar and the solid mount engine. Four cylinders that aren't rubber mounted are buzzy.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #13 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
.... i dont want to hear some crap about it is just injector noise B.S. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Also, have you checked to make sure it's not the rather noisy fuel injectors?

Ohhhhhh you gone and done it now

post #14 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

mcws, How many engines have you built?

How many millions of engines did Honda build?

Just because you don't know what they are doing, doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

If you don't like your stinky, buzy, clunky bike, sell it. Get something that's going to make you happy, if that's possible.

post #15 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

Just because you don't know what they are doing, doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

If you don't like your stinky, buzy, clunky bike, sell it. Get something that's going to make you happy, if that's possible.
+1

We all love our 919's. Sell it and buy something that you will love. You are bashing one of the most reliable motors ever built

post #16 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Ohhhhhh you gone and done it now

Yup.

Bet you he hasn't even checked that first with a mechanic's stethoscope, though.

2002 Honda 919
post #17 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

In the owners manual of my Super Duke, it will tell you to let the engine warm up to 4 bars before riding because the engine and cylinder warm and expand at different rates.

All "noise" bets are off until the engine is at operating temperature.

post #18 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Garage
A final comment, since the original poster appears to have run away.

Which would you rather have, a nice quiet no-knock engine that tends to grenade at random intervals and has been observed to fail (as in, 'throws a rod' fail) as early as 30,000 miles? (AKA first-generation Suzuki Bandits.) Or an engine that may tap just a bit but will run hundreds of thousands of miles without any evidence of wear? (919.) Which is better evidence of design and quality?

I know what my answer is.

2002 Honda 919
post #19 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

so they purposly built piston slap into the 919?

post #20 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
A final comment, since the original poster appears to have run away.

Which would you rather have, a nice quiet no-knock engine that tends to grenade at random intervals and has been observed to fail (as in, 'throws a rod' fail) as early as 30,000 miles? (AKA first-generation Suzuki Bandits.) Or an engine that may tap just a bit but will run hundreds of thousands of miles without any evidence of wear? (919.) Which is better evidence of design and quality?

I know what my answer is.

i had a 1200 bandit with 75000 mi. i shouldn't have sold it. bought the 919 thinking honda quality.

post #21 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
so they purposly built piston slap into the 919?
If needed so the pistons have proper clearance when they hit 9000 rpm and have grown due to the heat, yes.

Quote:
i had a 1200 bandit with 75000 mi. i shouldn't have sold it. bought the 919 thinking honda quality.
Yet I've seen B6's with thrown rods by 30K and B12s limping along with low compression by 60K. If yours was still doing fine at 75,000 you got one of the better ones, but Bandit forums have lots of reports of needing engine swaps and rebuilds due to the failure of the original engine. There are almost none here for the 919.

Honda quality means that everything will work for a long, long, long time. Look around - knock or not, 919 engines pretty much do not fail.

Also, seriously, you had a B12 and you're complaining about the 919 buzzing? B12s were and are far worse offenders at "The Buzz" than the 919 ever was. Tons and tons of posts about "how do I kill the Bandit Buzz?" on their forums. It's even in the various Bandit FAQs.

You're just not happy with the bike, we get that. We have a classifieds section for a reason, feel free to unload your bike and go buy something else. The rest of us on planet consensus reality will accept that Honda had a reason for making the engine this way, that it doesn't damage anything and that it will still go hundreds of thousands of miles.

Edit: You might also want to look at the Yamaha R1 forums for an example of what happens when you build them a bit too tight so they 'sound' like quality while idling in the showroom... Yup, very early R1s like to have piston seizure. Guess how they solved it. The fixed ones? They tick like a 919.

2002 Honda 919
post #22 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
And thats what you got, I'm not seeing what the issue is here. Once the engine is up to operating temp and the tolerances have tightened up shes quiet. The 9'er is well documented to be VERY reliable. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #23 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

dang get back from a ride and you guys have already torn into a lurker/new member! I was with 3 919s today and no noise from any of them cold or hot.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #24 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM
MSF blacksheep

This douche needs to crawl back on his pos suzuki and ride his Lard ass back to the set of the deliverance movie for another shot of man grease.

post #25 of 48 Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Many Suzuki Bandit 1200s had oil use issues from brand new. Suzuki wasn't the happiest to replace the motors but with enough fight they did.

The Bandit 600 was hands down the worst vibs bike I've had.

Over all a great bike but it shook the hell out of my hands.
post #26 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Cornicen

RICOR Vibrantors with Bar End Weights decrease the handlebar vibration so much, that NOW I feel the vibration in the foot pegs instead! I have had three single-cylinder motorcycles that I put Vibranators in, also. It's the first modification I do to all my bikes now...my ulnar nerves are a bit tender from all my bicycling activities over the years, and these help a great deal.

post #27 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
it may just be that the cam chain needs replacing...

post #28 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Immune

One thing is for sure, not all 919's exhibit this noise. Could the type of oil run have any effect? What else could could contribute? Effe has suggested a bad cam chain, any other suggestions? The only noise I notice with my bike is usually vibration related, and seems to come from the gas tank area, and the headlight bucket. My bike is reasonable hot or cold, but does seem quieter when it's HOT.

post #29 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

My bike is really smooth sounding, cold, warm, or hot.

Never heard anything out of the ordinary, and yes, I have good hearing and know what to listen for.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #30 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
i have 13kmi. on mine now. i bought used with 10kmi. iam really disappointed that honda is noted for making a quality motorcycle and this piston slap problem seems to be quit common.
Run some better gas and see if there isn't a noticeable diff with that tankfull.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #31 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
One thing is for sure, not all 919's exhibit this noise. Could the type of oil run have any effect?
I think it has more to do with who's hearing it. Some people don't pick up on noises while others do. I also doubt I'd hear mine if I wasnt wearing ear plugs.

Ear plugs make you hear EVERYTHING, If I grip the tank hard enough with my legs I can even hear the fuel pump.
post #32 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
Many Suzuki Bandit 1200s had oil use issues from brand new.
That was true of the 2nd gen Bandit 1200's ( 2002 and beyond.)

The 97-2000's were oil tight.

I sold my '97 with 48,000 miles --- never ate any oil, never had any issues.

post #33 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Looks like you're having trouble keep ing the front end on the ground. What about that issue? hmmmmm?

My KTM 200 sounds like it's going to gernade at any moment. My old KLX made more racket than an industrial rock crushing machine. You ought to hear the commotion that my Super Duke makes. There may be a few quiet ones, but most motorcycle engines are noisey. They vibrate. They produce carbon monoxide. Run that thing until it blows (which it won't). That'll be a good excuse to buy a new one.

post #34 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM
McTavish

Quote:
has anyone out there actually had the piston slap problem taken care of on there 919's ? i know there are alot of 919's out there with the problem. is there anyone with alot of miles on there bike that have just put up with the noise? i dont want to hear some crap about it is just injector noise B.S. .
There are not lots of 919s with the so called piston slap problem.

Further, I'll bet that 99 + % of water cooled inline 4 4 stroke motorcycle engined riders do not know what piston slap alone even sounds like, let alone hear it or be able to determine if the cold engine noise is a problem, a developing problem, or a potential problem.

post #35 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Awesomeness Dispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
There are not lots of 919s with the so called piston slap problem.

Further, I'll bet that 99 + % of water cooled inline 4 4 stroke motorcycle engined riders do not know what piston slap alone even sounds like, let alone hear it or be able to determine if the cold engine noise is a problem, a developing problem, or a potential problem.
+1.

I would be in that category. My 599 makes a "ticking" noise on hard acceleration and it's carbed. It's always done that and continues to run great. I don't worry about it... I assume that's "what it does" and that's part of the engine's character.

Street/Track Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6 White
Retired: 2004 Honda 599 Asphalt
Wheels: '98 CBR900RR Rear, '97 CBR600F3 Front
Rizoma® Mods: Frame sliders | 22mm bar | Sportline grips | Bar ends + sliders | Radial Naked mirrors | Rearsets | Crankcase Slider
Other Mods: Pazzo Shorties | Michelin Power Pure | CustomLED Integrated Taillight | Fasst Co. Bar Weights | Ducati Turn Signals
post #36 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Cornicen

I believe I may be a suffering from piston slap. I usually let mine warm up a few minutes before i take off and keep the RPMs below 4K until the engine warms up. While accelerating when it is cold it makes a ticking/knocking sound as described by almost every 919 rider on other noise issue posts. But when my 9er idles after it is properly warmed up i hear a knocking sound?

My friends 9er makes the same noises when cold but there is not "knocking" sound from his at idle. His is an 06 with 8K and mine is an 03 with just shy of 16K. I am not too concerned by this as my friend said he can barely hear it and never noticed it until i pointed it out. I believe it is just me being super observant that makes it seem so loud. I am not slacking in the performance category as my 9er (with 2 bros SS) is slightly quicker thank his stocker. From any of the knowledgeable member here do you think it would be something to worry about? ill try to get a video of it (that is if the camera picks it up)

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #37 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 PM
MSF blacksheep

Let's not forget that ducati's sound like shaking a tin can full of bolts when idling. The 919 is a smooth and bulletproof motorcycle designed to provide a smile around town. If you dont like the slight tick of the motor, get an aftermarket exhaust and call it fixed.

post #38 of 48 Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
Let's not forget that ducati's sound like shaking a tin can full of bolts when idling. The 919 is a smooth and bulletproof motorcycle designed to provide a smile around town. If you dont like the slight tick of the motor, get an aftermarket exhaust and call it fixed.
Agreed I'm sure if i didn't have an exhaust the sound would be alot more noticeable... kinda like this but I'm ok with it.. it runs strong handles good and the mileage is good.. it does everything i need

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #39 of 48 Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Señor Calamares

bad cct/cctl?

post #40 of 48 Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Le So Cal Troll

honestly in REALLY listening to the 919... even stone cold... the ONLY ticking i hear out of mine is the injectors.... just put a finger on one of them you can literally feel them tick on and off. other than that, if you took away the tick of the injectors opening and closing the motor is so mechanically quite its not even funny!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode