Those that use a GoPro, where do you mount it? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moto77

post #1 of 21 Old 09-03-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Those that use a GoPro, where do you mount it?

I have a few mounts, handlebar, clip, helmet side, helmet top and straps.

I got it rigged up so that I can put it eye level on the right side of the helmet. That allows access to all the buttons, but I can't see the screen.

If I put it on the handlebar, it'll be there when I'm not, unless I undo it EVERY time and will have more vibration, but I'll be able to see the screen.

On top of the helmet would be in the way as I tote the helmet around with me.

I like the idea of on the chest with straps, but I tuck down and that wouldn't work.

So there's handle bars or right side of helmet. On the helmet, I can change it's view without changing direction, it comes with me as I go into a store, no big vibration.

The only down side is that I'll have to trust that it's on or off, or I'll have to use a mirror to check (no WiFi/BT remote).

One other question, how do you secure this thing. It has the 3M tape, but it doesn't contour to the shape of the helmet. So it has nylon straps and a securing wire with loops on each end. I'm thinking it would strap around the chin area of the full face helmet back to the case so that if the mount fails, I'll still have the camera.

Any pics of your setup would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Milites Gregarius

I really like the view from the chin mount, but Iím disappointed by the usb c audio adapter for my session5. The cable is too short and the box is too big, so it kind of just flaps there, and over 40mph, the onboard mics get overwhelmed.

Anyway, for my chin mount, I used some sugru to make a better surface for the GoPro mount to stick to because the chinbar is a bit too beak shaped, it works really well and comes off with a razor blade if I need to take it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 21 Old 09-03-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev View Post
I really like the view from the chin mount, but Iím disappointed by the usb c audio adapter for my session5. The cable is too short and the box is too big, so it kind of just flaps there, and over 40mph, the onboard mics get overwhelmed.

Anyway, for my chin mount, I used some sugru to make a better surface for the GoPro mount to stick to because the chinbar is a bit too beak shaped, it works really well and comes off with a razor blade if I need to take it off.

That sounds interesting, but I think on the chin would get in the way when I carry the helmet around. I would like to have that curved mount, sadly the mounts are flat and I'd have to make some "go between" to make it work. I guess the extra 3M pads would work for making a sandwich that fits the curve of the helmet.

post #4 of 21 Old 09-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Milites Gregarius

Yeah, I unclip the GoPro and its bracket from the mount when Iím not wearing my helmet or not filming anything.

The view from the camera

This is the mount when the camera isnít mounted

post #5 of 21 Old 09-03-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

That's a perfect view, but your helmet is very different. I guess I could just as easily make an adapter for the chin vs the right side.

Can you see the back of it from the chin mount?

It would be cool to have some kind of "quick mount" where you could just grab it, look at it and then remount it without removing the gloves.

post #6 of 21 Old 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have the session, so it has no back screen, the first time I set it up, I used the app to make sure it was aligned right.

post #7 of 21 Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev View Post
I have the session, so it has no back screen, the first time I set it up, I used the app to make sure it was aligned right.

I noticed you wear glasses, what do you do if you need protection from the sun?

The reason I ask is that I use contact and very close fitting sunglasses. If I were to use glasses, they couldn't be close fitting and I wouldn't have the option for sunglasses. I guess you could carry those clip on sunglasses.

post #8 of 21 Old 09-04-2018, 04:39 AM
Milites Gregarius

The helmet has an internal sun visor that flips down and has enough clearance for my glasses to stay in place.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Im not sure which go pro you have, but the newer ones have an app that allows you to see what it's seeing from your phone, and can adjust settings from there as well. As for sound, if you ever want anything half decent, you probably want an external mic.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Tirone

Garage
I use a chin mount too. Didn't have room beneath the vent on my helmet for the adhesive mount but i ended up finding this TOZ arm on amazon so i could mount it off to the side a bit and it works really well. I had a smaller thumb screw for the arms pivot, The one on the bottom but i forgot to tighten it one day so i need to replace the longer one you see in the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180906_100047077.jpg (112.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180906_100058278.jpg (129.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180906_100207107.jpg (118.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180906_100224318.jpg (105.0 KB, 9 views)

post #11 of 21 Old 09-06-2018, 08:10 AM
just send it.

Garage
Seems like a really bad idea to attach a GoPro to your helmet.

[This space for rent]
post #12 of 21 Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 AM
Centurion

Garage
i have the bullet shaped drift ghost HD 2x taped to the right side of my helmet.

post #13 of 21 Old 09-06-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Seems like a really bad idea to attach a GoPro to your helmet.
Why's that?

I have a handle bar attachment but that gets WAY too much vibration. On the chest or tank bag solves the vibration, but then it's always in the direction you are going. On the helmet you control what it records. In addition, it's with you so you don't have to worry about theft.

If someone runs a red light, is on their phone or whatever, you get that on camera.

If you're concerned about the cost if it gets damaged, they are probably along the same price as a cheap helmet and they come with a protective case.

The Cube is < $60, many of the GoPro clones are < $100 and even the brand name ones from yesteryear are cheap now because tech moves so fast and cameras have improved so much.

Just for the security of having a recording of that texter that ran you off the road is worth it.

post #14 of 21 Old 09-07-2018, 06:13 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Why's that?
If you crash, and you land on your GoPro (because bread never lands on the floor jelly side up), you are concentrating all that force of your head hitting the pavement to a very small surface area. Helmets are designed to spread out this force out... You wouldn't ride around with a billiard ball taped to the side of your helmet, why would a GoPro be any different.

However, that location gives you the best vantage point on a bike.

[This space for rent]
post #15 of 21 Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 AM
Milites Gregarius

Yeah, itís a concern. I remember seeing some blame for Michael Schumacherís brain injuries in that skiing accident being due to his GoPro being smack bang on the top front of his helmet.

Even looking at the charts of where youíre most likely to have contact, the chin bar is pretty high. The side by the visor is very low, but not many companies make bullet shaped cameras that can do 1080/60, let alone 4K/30, so youíd end up with that nagging sideway drag with a GoPro.

It does make me consider putting some weakening points into the arm for the GoPro mount, in the hope that itíll snap on impact and get out of the way, but knowing my luck, itíll snap, then pierce my carotid artery...

post #16 of 21 Old 09-07-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I didn't think about that, I figured that the mounts would just break off. If you look at how hard the helmet shell is vs a plastic arm and some sticky tape.

In addition to that, look at the design of the helmet, it's basically like a ball (give or take). So ANY impact with the ground is going to be a nearly flat surface to a round surface. Meaning that if you put on your helmet and run head first into a brick wall (or fall on the ground) you are going to have a "contact patch" just like with your tire.

Look at the contact patch of your front tire, it's about the size of a kids shoe. Same with the contact patch of your helmet against the road, it's going to be some small contact patch.

A camera on there, as long as it's weaker than the shell, shouldn't ever make any real difference.

post #17 of 21 Old 09-13-2018, 02:39 AM
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
i have the bullet shaped drift ghost HD 2x taped to the right side of my helmet.
What do you think of the drift ghost? I'm watching one on eBay. Thinking of bidding on it.

post #18 of 21 Old 09-13-2018, 05:37 AM
Centurion

Garage
Well worth the money IMO.
Quite aerodynamic and video quality is quite good if you dial in the setting and save them to different profiles (I have a sunny day/direct sunlight profile, cloudy day profile and night time profile).
It's quite sturdy too, as It's been dropped (with helmet) right on it's head; it received just a couple of scratches.

I've had it for a couple of years now and i'm glad i didn't fork out the money for the drift+accessories and got it instead.

I'd give it a recommend as a good bang for your buck camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
What do you think of the drift ghost? I'm watching one on eBay. Thinking of bidding on it.

post #19 of 21 Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Milites Gregarius

I just saw this thing pop up in my instagram feed...

https://store.camboxmeca.com/en/camboxmkv3?p=136

Might not work with me because of the internal sun visor, but it might work for other helmets, and seems safer than us sticking anything to the outside of our helmets too...

post #20 of 21 Old 09-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Tirone

Garage
Im not worried in the slightest about sticking the GoPro to the outside of my helmet. The chance of anything happening is far to small. Probably have a higher chance of being struck by lightening then being hurt from my GoPro.
Diablo likes this.

post #21 of 21 Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto77 View Post
Im not worried in the slightest about sticking the GoPro to the outside of my helmet. The chance of anything happening is far to small. Probably have a higher chance of being struck by lightening then being hurt from my GoPro.
Exactly. I've had 3 accidents so far and only one involved the helmet and not be much.

The camera would just fly off and get beat up and that's the least of my worries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode