The Unwritten Rule: Don't Invade my "Space" - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

The Unwritten Rule: Don't Invade my "Space"

Here's the Scenario:

So today I went out riding, since it was such a beautiful day to take some time off work (it's good to be the Boss!). I was stopped at a red light, and some guy in a bling custom chopper pulls up to the right of me, IN MY LANE! I can see him looking at me in the corner of my eye. I turn my head right a little bit because it's bothering me. He nods at me (to be friendly, I guess). I just kinda look at him for a few seconds, but I ackowledge the fact that he just nodded at me... and nod back. I look forward, waiting for the green, but it's a loooong light. I could see him again in the corner of my eye that he's checking out my bike. The guy tells me "Nice bike." I contemplate the fact that he just spoke to me. "Did he just say something?" I turned my head back to him and say "Thanks..... ..... ... U2." I turn my head forward again waiting for the green. Light turns green. I wait for him to take off first. He's expecting me to take off first (since I was there first). I turn to him and say "Go ahead." "Nah, that's cool. You go." I say again, looking him straight into his shades "Go ahead" as I motion my head to the left. He takes off, then I follow.

This is one of many recent times this has played out. There's this "unwritten rule" in motorcycling, that you just do not invade a stranger Rider's "space", especially at a light. It's ok if you're friends, but if you've never seen him before, then you leave him alone. Same goes for groups.

Has this 'rule" gone with the wind?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Nope, that's how I've always understood it should work. If I pull up behind someone on a bike at a light, I always stay a respectful distance behind.

post #3 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

People around here are more friendly I guess.

They almost always pull up and say hi. As do I.

We always warn for cops by tapping helmet, and create gaps in traffic so our fellow riders can get over also.

2 > 4

post #4 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Never heard of this un-written rule.

I can understand plenty of space while moving, but I've got no problem pulling up next to someone to say Hello at a redlight, and I've had many folks pull up next to me .

post #5 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
Never heard of this un-written rule.
Maybe it's old school. I know times change.

post #6 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

If I'm up front first, I take off first.
If I split lanes up to front & center & another rider is already there. I let him go first.
But...if he is slow on the draw, I leave first but move to the next lane immediately.
I don't want to have to deal with passing a wobbly weaver if I don't have to.

Either way, I have no problem with one, or multiple bikes lining up with me.
I am completely comfortable riding elbow to elbow with these knuckle heads if that's what it takes.
We usually have a nice talk & go about our way.

post #7 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

It's a pretty good unwritten rule. If I come up behind I bike I don't know I stagger at the stop insead boxing myself in with someone who I have no measure of their skill level.

The next thing that happens is these folks are winging past you in your bubble on the Hwy as they rush to their accident.

post #8 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I pull up next to bikes at a light all the time.... in my truck...and I reach out and flip off their kill switch, then open the door and bash it into their leg, then peel out really fast.
JohnnyB

post #9 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The real unwritten rule(s)

I commonly ride within inches of cars on a daily basis -- and rarely do they feel as if I have violated their "space" because I try to do it as smoothly and unobtrusively as possible. Motorcycles are the same when pulling up to a red light: usually, if there is someone splitting behind me to the front of a long line of cars at a light I try to move over to give them room next to me when we get to the front, sometimes leaning over enough to give them room to get by. Oftentimes others will do the same for me, and I always look their bikes over and make some sort of appropriate coment even when it's a well used chopper ridden by a 2%er. You may be astounded by the reception I invariably get: a smile and a genuine thank you, usually followed by further conversation, even when they are wearing a Hell's Angels vest. The point is when you treat others with respect they will treat you the same way, and everyone benefits. In the final analysis that is the unwritten rule, at least for me. Other rules are leave the light in the order you arrived; always wave to anyone who gives you more room; when a bike pulls up behind you on the freeway move to the right to give them room to pass in your lane (unless you are in the fast lane, then move to the left); when approaching a bike from the rear make sure they can see you in one of their mirrors; if somebody says hello, even if you feel like , instead; and most importantly always wave to kids in school buses and the back seat of cars -- they get all happy!
Forty five years of riding, and never have these rules failed me.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #10 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

I have to say that it's weird to me when someone doesn't pull up next to me at a light, so i just fart.

post #11 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

If I am intrigued by what someone is riding, I will pull up next to them and check them out. Maybe say "Hi".

No harm, no foul

post #12 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I dont realy see any thing wrong with pulling up beside someone aslong as you gave um lots of space.. but I allways seem to stop behind them alittle.. But if a guy pulls a stoppy next to me Im gona go off

post #13 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Maybe it's old school. I know times change.
I'm no young whiper-snaper there Rob. Been street riding since 88.

HEY, I'm coming up on 20 years, need to do something to celebrate.

post #14 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

I never pull up alonside a stranger's bike at a light. I always stagger stop behind him.

Since lane splitting was brought up. I live in Washington and often see California riders up here splitting lanes even though it isn't legal. Do you California riders just assume it's legal everywhere? I'm not sure of any other states where lane splitting is legal, at least not in the four I've lived in.

post #15 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
I never pull up alonside a stranger's bike at a light. I always stagger stop behind him.

Since lane splitting was brought up. I live in Washington and often see California riders up here splitting lanes even though it isn't legal. Do you California riders just assume it's legal everywhere? I'm not sure of any other states where lane splitting is legal, at least not in the four I've lived in.
I don't think it's illegal in any of those states. It is just an accepted practice in CA and a few others. It isn't illegal here in N.C. either, but no way in heck am I splitting lanes on the highway here. I'll split on the side at a stoplight or stop sign if there's enough room. I will not go between vehicles though.

As for the "unwritten rule" I don't really care whether someone pulls next to me at a stop or not. If they do, and they aren't acting stupid, I'll comment on the bike or give 'em a thumbs up. They almost always return the gesture and quite honestly, the ones that are the biggest pricks on two wheels are the squids on sportbikes with the invincible attitude. You know, the ones looking at you stupid because you're in full gear and they are sporting a tank-top, sneakers w/ no socks and board shorts. Yeah, those guys.

post #16 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Enormous member

I think the only "unwritten rule" is in Rob919's head on this one. I've been riding since 1985, and I've pulled up next to other riders since forever, and other riders pull up next to me. Sometimes conversation ensues, sometimes not. A couple times I've discovered it was guys I knew.

No harm, no foul.

post #17 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Don't stop on the side of the lane but in the middle, this way you won't give room to anybody else.

I would have the same reaction as rob919 but it could be more because it is illigal to split lanes here in florida and I often see stupid squids trying to split the lane and get to the front of the lane while I am on the truck and almost hitting my mirrors so when I ride the bike, I don't want to have to deal with this idiots so I just make it a habit to stop in the middle trying to make the bike as wide as possible by positioning the bike diagonally.

post #18 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The only thing that bugs me about it ,is I have bad hearing and I really hate having to repeat" what" a 100 times when the guy wants to get in a deep life conversation.

post #19 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Imaginifer

I have been riding on the street since the early 90's and in several states and have pulled up beside other riders and have had them pull up beside me.
Like others have said I have had some pretty good conversations at a long light.
I think it just shows the brother hood of the biker thing a couple people enjoying riding their bikes.
I am also comfortable enough with my riding that I do not feel threatened by another riders presence.

Paul

Live to ride, but ride to ride another day!
post #20 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I don't think it's illegal in any of those states. It is just an accepted practice in CA and a few others. It isn't illegal here in N.C. either, but no way in heck am I splitting lanes on the highway here. I'll split on the side at a stoplight or stop sign if there's enough room. I will not go between vehicles though.

As for the "unwritten rule" I don't really care whether someone pulls next to me at a stop or not. If they do, and they aren't acting stupid, I'll comment on the bike or give 'em a thumbs up. They almost always return the gesture and quite honestly, the ones that are the biggest pricks on two wheels are the squids on sportbikes with the invincible attitude. You know, the ones looking at you stupid because you're in full gear and they are sporting a tank-top, sneakers w/ no socks and board shorts. Yeah, those guys.

+1

post #21 of 27 Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

Anybody else ever pull up real close and gently bump your front tire into someone's back tire, and when they turn around you wave?

Ok, then maybe I'm the only one that does that.

JohnnyB

post #22 of 27 Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Anybody else ever pull up real close and gently bump your front tire into someone's back tire, and when they turn around you wave?
You're killin' me, JohnnyB! I really like your kill-switch routine! Just gotta laugh at that one.

I kinda see how invading the space gets on the nerves. But at the same time, sharing the space can be a biker-respect thing. I always let them leave first if they pull up beside me. You can see immediately if their skills are up to par and where you need to stop at the next light...

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #23 of 27 Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I think the only "unwritten rule" is in Rob919's head on this one. I've been riding since 1985, and I've pulled up next to other riders since forever, and other riders pull up next to me. Sometimes conversation ensues, sometimes not. A couple times I've discovered it was guys I knew.

No harm, no foul.
Well then, I guess it was a voice in my head that told me this long ago

I do need to mention that this guy just pulled up fast, right next to me. He almost caught me by surprise, and his SS V-twin was super loud, and shook the ground. I noticed he was more into being seen, blipping the throttle and looking around with all smiles, Designer shades, and loafers. I was annoyed because it was a nice, quite road by Memorial Park, where alot of joggers and cyclists ride. He was indeed getting alot of attention, which I became a part of since he was right next to me.

I think if it had been another situation, I would have been more receptive. And i do still believe that it's respectful to stop behind first, then proceed forward if you feel welcome. You don't just come right up and say "Howdy!", especially under those circumstances.

post #24 of 27 Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Mc 9er

Quote:
I pull up next to bikes at a light all the time.... in my truck...and I reach out and flip off their kill switch, then open the door and bash it into their leg, then peel out really fast.
JohnnyB
Quote:

JohnnyB
dammit johnny,that was youmy leg still hurts

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #25 of 27 Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Quote:

JohnnyB
I thought this would be funny till I did it to a friend's car and he thru it in reverse and bumped back!!!

He says after the fact I didn't think it would fall down so easy!!!

post #26 of 27 Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM

I have never heard of this rule either.

post #27 of 27 Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
I think if it had been another situation, I would have been more receptive.
That's it.

Bubba Harley whizzed up blippin the throttle, being enough of a prick to get under your skin.

I dont think any of us would've have appreciated that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode