Stopping distance comparison with new rotors - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Stopping distance comparison with new rotors

So this toolbox I know on IRC is raving about his new carbon rotors, and posts this comparison that someone else did on a "similar" bike Brake Tech Axis / CMC Rotors w/ Sinter Tech Ferodo Brake Pads | Inline Performance Magazine as well as this one on different bikes (which makes the comparison invalid to me) YouTube - IPM Staff Bikes Daytona 675 Brake Tech Carbon Ceramic Rotor Test

The later I waved off as invalid, because they used 2 different bikes. I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I'm fairly certain when you change things like, weight placement you are going to alter the end result.

The 2nd, I'm waving off yet again, because I don't think the rider truly knows how to test his brakes. Impressive indo? Yeah, sure, I'd go for that. Best way to stop? PPFFFFFFT! Get real! Get your nuts off the tank and to the back of the seat so that the damn thing will stop as it normally would. There is a rare occasion (if any) where an endo is a proper stop in my novice opinion. If I am wrong here, someone please correct me before I make an even bigger ass out of myself (I'm already an ass, but I'm trying to keep things in check here)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Gets censored

IDK about the carbon rotors but I can tell you i was underimpressed with the braking on the 9er coming off of my cbr600 f3. when I put some SS lines on I feel it stops better but in reality its just a better feel im assuming.

Ive read reviews that say the stock rotor is the way to go after market ones warp easier due to heat, this is what i read not personal experience.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

if I can lock up the wheel under heavy braking, I think the rotor is doing it's job... and I can do that on the 9er though I don't like to.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

The key to braking (emergency-stop style)is practicing "Maximum Braking" ...using a mix of front & rear brakes just almost, but not quite to the point of locking up...different bikes will handle differently. I'm happy with my stock rotors, they bind up just fine.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
The key to braking (emergency-stop style)is practicing "Maximum Braking" ...using a mix of front & rear brakes just almost, but not quite to the point of locking up...different bikes will handle differently. I'm happy with my stock rotors, they bind up just fine.
same here... the completely stock braking setup is more than plenty IMO... i can pull a stoppie at 40mph no prob.... and lock the font up at any time if i really wanted to.... i could imagine some SS lines on the front would make the lever feel much more linear and firm... but even through i ride my 919 hard in the twisties ive never felt as though im lackin braking power. My buddies drz400 however was pretty scary... 2 hard runs and the front had almost no stoppin power.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Lol, I can't say I really like locking up the front...I don't like leaving skidmarks (either kind) plus, its ineffecient. This is a good thing to know about, because you can't know where 100% is if you've never been to 101+ but it's best done in a controlled situation when your practicing.

I'd like to get some SS lines, it certainly can't hurt and will likely help, and I'd DEFINITELY like to stiffen my stock 02 front suspension because that will do great things for improving weight transfer under braking and make my braking more linear and efficient & better all-around.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

This guy was actually talking about his Duc 675 I believe. I haven't ridden one so I can't comment on it's braking performance but I would imagine with a price tag that a Ducati carries I would hope it brakes as well as it takes off.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Tirone

Carbon rotors are strictly racing items because they have to be hot to work. Once up to to temp. though, fade is not an issue and feel is excellent. When it rains in moto gp, the carbon rotors are removed because of the cooling from the rain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode