Staying hydrated while riding - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Staying hydrated while riding

Hi All,

Heading on a long distance ride from Chicago to Hilton Head SC shortly.

Being summer, I realize i'm going to need to keep myself hydrated as I ride. This will be the longest ride i've been on and have never had the need to carry water.

Is it advisable to ride with a camelbak kind of a thing? Something that I wear like a backpack over my jacket? Or, am I better off stopping and pounding a bottle of water whenever possible?

What do you guys prefer to do? Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Moto-Doc

Garage
I use one of these the Eberlestock H7 Dagger hydration pack. IT'S AMAZING and comes in a few colors. Its light, has room for a lunch, has a 2 litre hydration pack in it, and has a 90 degree mouth piece. I can hydrate at 60 mph safely.

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Camelback filled with Captain Morgan oh wait that was for snowboarding nevermind...

post #4 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Replenishing your body with water is only part of the answer. You will also need electrolytes. Dehydration is best remedied by a sports drink and please watch your alcohol consumption at night when you are off the road. I have a tendency to develop leg cramps after touring for the day which are more common in the hot/humid weather. I usually drink some "Powerade" before going to bed each night and during stops for fuel.

Watch your caffeine intake later in the day.

A solid breakfast, reasonable lunch and a light dinner is my recommendation.

https://www.powerade.com/

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #5 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I use the CamelBac, holds 2L water, you can refill anywhere because of the wide mouth opening. The water sits in an insulated section of the backpack and it still folds up to store in part of the tank bag.

The bite valve works great, you have it there at the ready, the backpack part is small enough to work great on a bike, yet you can still carry quite a bit of stuff.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 AM
Tesserarius

when you're doing hours on the road it's definitely essential to hydrate as you go, not stop and pound a water bottle. that'll probably make you piss and probably waste more water than really hydrate. it's also important to get hydrated before the trip, it takes a day or something to really get your body hydrated.

lots of people are put off by gatorade and such these days because of high sugar content.. i don't really care, i still drink them, but some people recommend pedialyte instead. You can also get drops that you add to water that give it a little flavor and electrolytes. or chuck a lemon or something something in your camelback. (also ice!).

I've used camelbacks when on the road.. it's nice to have a backpack you can stash some stuff in and if you go walking around you can keep it with you, remember to re-fill it etc. You want one with a magnet to hold the valve in place so it's not blowing around or rubbing on you. Also a 90 degree bite valve helps you get it between your chin bar and face. That said, if you don't have a tank bag you should get one and they often have hydration pack pockets... it lets you have easy access to stuff and you you don't have to take your backpack off. Also less weight on your back the better, although people really rave about the kriega backpacks, i haven't been able to use one yet. i always keep my phone, wallet, snacks, extra drinks, some tools, bungies, zipties, sunglasses/hat, visor/visor cleaner/rag etc. in my tank bag. stuff that you'll need quick access to when you stop for directions/bathroom/food.

oh! and post it notes. i'm not good with using maps because they don't quite have the detail you need, but if you have issues with your navigation and directions you can take a sharpie and write directions on post it notes in the map pocket of your tank bag (so they don't blow away or get wet). I use arrows and the road name, if you have time, include mileage on said road. so like:
<- Oak St 3.2 mi
-> walnut st 5.8

It's also a good idea to download some offline version of a map because you won't have cell service everywhere.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
when you're doing hours on the road it's definitely essential to hydrate as you go, not stop and pound a water bottle. that'll probably make you piss and probably waste more water than really hydrate. it's also important to get hydrated before the trip, it takes a day or something to really get your body hydrated.

lots of people are put off by gatorade and such these days because of high sugar content.. i don't really care, i still drink them, but some people recommend pedialyte instead. You can also get drops that you add to water that give it a little flavor and electrolytes. or chuck a lemon or something something in your camelback. (also ice!).

I've used camelbacks when on the road.. it's nice to have a backpack you can stash some stuff in and if you go walking around you can keep it with you, remember to re-fill it etc. You want one with a magnet to hold the valve in place so it's not blowing around or rubbing on you. Also a 90 degree bite valve helps you get it between your chin bar and face. That said, if you don't have a tank bag you should get one and they often have hydration pack pockets... it lets you have easy access to stuff and you you don't have to take your backpack off. Also less weight on your back the better, although people really rave about the kriega backpacks, i haven't been able to use one yet. i always keep my phone, wallet, snacks, extra drinks, some tools, bungies, zipties, sunglasses/hat, visor/visor cleaner/rag etc. in my tank bag. stuff that you'll need quick access to when you stop for directions/bathroom/food.

oh! and post it notes. i'm not good with using maps because they don't quite have the detail you need, but if you have issues with your navigation and directions you can take a sharpie and write directions on post it notes in the map pocket of your tank bag (so they don't blow away or get wet). I use arrows and the road name, if you have time, include mileage on said road. so like:
<- Oak St 3.2 mi
-> walnut st 5.8

It's also a good idea to download some offline version of a map because you won't have cell service everywhere.
I noticed you said to get a magnet on the valve... my valve just hangs onto the backpac's shoulder strap, what would the magnet stick to?
I've got nothing on my helmet or anywhere that a magnet would stick to.

Good idea about the GPS maps having an offline mode. IDK if most apps do that or not, my guess is that they don't because of the storage space. I should check to see if the maps APIs allow downloading maps. I'm a mobile dev and I could see a use for off line map systems.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 06:22 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Years ago on a long trip, I had a water bladder in my jacket with the mouthpiece within easy access while riding on my shoulder. I was thinking I would be able to use it on the road and take a sip whenever I needed. After the first day, I abandoned that idea. After a few hours on the road, the mouthpiece would pick up tons of dust and road grit. Last time I checked, water was not supposed to be crunchy.

I recommend keeping a large bottle with you somewhere on the bike and have a drink when you come to rest stops. You'll likely be stopping once every hour or two for gas anyway. Also bring light snacks for the road.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I noticed you said to get a magnet on the valve... my valve just hangs onto the backpac's shoulder strap, what would the magnet stick to?
I've got nothing on my helmet or anywhere that a magnet would stick to.

Good idea about the GPS maps having an offline mode. IDK if most apps do that or not, my guess is that they don't because of the storage space. I should check to see if the maps APIs allow downloading maps. I'm a mobile dev and I could see a use for off line map systems.
I have a hydration pack that has a magnet on the back of the bite valve, and then a magnet on the strap that goes across your chest. this keeps it in place on your chest so it's not flopping around everywhere.

you can download maps off google maps now, but there are a number of useful apps. I was using OSMand, the downside is its terrible at naming roads and figuring out how to use it is a bit confusing. good video on various apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Years ago on a long trip, I had a water bladder in my jacket with the mouthpiece within easy access while riding on my shoulder. I was thinking I would be able to use it on the road and take a sip whenever I needed. After the first day, I abandoned that idea. After a few hours on the road, the mouthpiece would pick up tons of dust and road grit. Last time I checked, water was not supposed to be crunchy.

I recommend keeping a large bottle with you somewhere on the bike and have a drink when you come to rest stops. You'll likely be stopping once every hour or two for gas anyway. Also bring light snacks for the road.
yea, it definitely gets a bit dusty and stuff. if you used a tankbag one you could probably tuck it away somewhere. its not the end of the world to me, it's definitely nice to be able to sip some water frequently without stopping.

The problem with stopping every hr or so is it ends up wasting half an hr. so a trip that was suppossed to be 4 hrs is now 6... maybe that's a bit drastic.. but it's always stop, get your helmet and gloves off, go buy drinks/food or get it out, go piss or w/e. get everything put away again, gear up. get back on the road. I noticed i lose a lot of time on trips because of stops like these, you don't realize it but it adds up quickly. so generally once i stop, i try to get everything done and situated and gas up.. otherwise you stop for a breather at say 80 miles, and then half an hr later your stopping for gas again.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
The problem with stopping every hr or so is it ends up wasting half an hr. so a trip that was suppossed to be 4 hrs is now 6... maybe that's a bit drastic.. but it's always stop, get your helmet and gloves off, go buy drinks/food or get it out, go piss or w/e. get everything put away again, gear up. get back on the road. I noticed i lose a lot of time on trips because of stops like these, you don't realize it but it adds up quickly. so generally once i stop, i try to get everything done and situated and gas up.. otherwise you stop for a breather at say 80 miles, and then half an hr later your stopping for gas again.
I think we mean the same thing. The goal is not to stop on the hour every hour to get a drink, but frequent breaks would come in the form of gas stops. I'm usually fine with a refreshment every 2 hours or so at gas stops, but if you need more frequent hydration, then obviously having easy access to water is a way to go.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode