Sport Rider magazine - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By LDH

post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
McTavish

Sport Rider magazine

I just got my Oct/Nov 2017 issue in the mail today, and it is bannered with "last issue ever".
Very sad.
Nothing is said about why, and the only real commentary on it all is in Editor in Chief Kent Kunitsugu's "Wheel Spin" editorial.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-04-2017, 04:19 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Doesn't really give a reason, but just cites restructuring:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...ider-magazine/

post #3 of 9 Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Doesn't really give a reason, but just cites restructuring:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...ider-magazine/
Thanks for posting the link.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2017, 01:30 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Meh... They had like 2 issues that were actually good back in like 1997 or something. Rest of it is just fiction for riders that lack the experience to form their own opinions.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-05-2017, 05:57 AM
Tesserarius

When was the last time a motorcycle magazine had anything new to write about? Other than the 1290 Super Duke, the FZ9, nothing that has came out in the last 10 years has been worth note. Honda makes scooters with automatic transmissions that won't fall over when you stop. Who can stop yawning. Adventure bikes, give me a break. 99% of those things will never go on a dry, dirt road. But they look the part. The CB 1000, that was to replace the 919..... did anybody even notice that thing?

All the manufacturers have done lately is rehash existing models, then puts crap on that nobody needs or wants. Case in point: the 2014 Honda Interceptor. Do you really need Traction control on a 525 pound bike with 100 hp? VTEC? ABS? Please just take 100 pounds off of that giant turd!

I would like to have a Ducati 939 Super Sport. But it costs $14K. I've ridden one. It doesn't do any thing any better than my old 01 Interceptor does. (which weighs about 470, I weighed it)

I've been buying really nice, old, low mileage, used bikes.

post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 12:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
When was the last time a motorcycle magazine had anything new to write about? Other than the 1290 Super Duke, the FZ9, nothing that has came out in the last 10 years has been worth note. Honda makes scooters with automatic transmissions that won't fall over when you stop. Who can stop yawning. Adventure bikes, give me a break. 99% of those things will never go on a dry, dirt road. But they look the part. The CB 1000, that was to replace the 919..... did anybody even notice that thing?

All the manufacturers have done lately is rehash existing models, then puts crap on that nobody needs or wants. Case in point: the 2014 Honda Interceptor. Do you really need Traction control on a 525 pound bike with 100 hp? VTEC? ABS? Please just take 100 pounds off of that giant turd!

I would like to have a Ducati 939 Super Sport. But it costs $14K. I've ridden one. It doesn't do any thing any better than my old 01 Interceptor does. (which weighs about 470, I weighed it)

I've been buying really nice, old, low mileage, used bikes.
I agree with most, but, I like the idea of ABS myself. I'd like to see it work in the rain.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Tesserarius

The magazines I miss are BIKE, and TWO. They were British,and had a little different perspective on things. They were printed on larger pages than the cheap American mags. Really nice photography. Foul mouthed, and used British slang, and expressionless that would bring your brain to a screeching halt. I have yet to figure out wether "and Bob's your uncle" is a good thing or not.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
When was the last time a motorcycle magazine had anything new to write about? Other than the 1290 Super Duke, the FZ9, nothing that has came out in the last 10 years has been worth note.
What about electric motorcycles? They may not be everyone's cup of tea but they are certainly noteworthy IMO, if only from a performance standpoint.

Al
post #9 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

There is plenty to write about the problem is one of 2 things:

1. The moto-journalists (& I have been one of them) are either too stupid to know a good handling sportbike from a Huffy

or

2. They are only allowed to write a review as good as the check that they were payed.

They want to extol the virtues of a production based motorcycle as delivered off the showroom floor and those bikes are flawed from the word go because they are built to a price point by a boardroom full of suits, many of whom have never even ridden a motorcycle.

If they would let someone like me actually tell the truth about the bikes and what they need to make them handle properly instead of pretending they are perfect right off the dealers showroom floor then I could actually teach people what to expect from a proper handling motorcycle, but that will never happen.

The motorcycle rags only exist to give people, that lack experience of their own, an opinion that they cannot form for themselves.

Purely as an example: Not one time since the Ducati 1098 came out and the subsequent 848 and 1198 models did a moto-journalist ever come forward and tell the readers that every single one of those bikes as delivered suffers from a geometry problem that can only be corrected by installing a 30mm offset triple clamp to increase the Trail#'s. Without that mod every one of those bike will push EVERY SINGLE rider that gets on the gas coming out a turn wide to the point they have to let off the gas to keep the bike on the asphalt. Not one word of that is uttered in text anywhere. Anyone that has ever really rode one will tell you it happens, but nobody ever mentions that it is a basic flaw in the design and needs to be corrected.

In this day & age of social media and knowledge being disseminated through the internet you can learn real facts and solid solutions in 5 minutes on a web forum rather than having some smoke blown up your ass in a couple paragraphs from a motorcycle magazine that you had to wait a month of more for that in the end doesn't tell you shit about how a bike really performs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode