speedometer/tach assembly experience? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Discen

speedometer/tach assembly experience?

while riding yesterday, I noticed excessive vibration in my tach/speedometer, seemed like the whole unit was bouncing around... checked it out, appeared that a plastic piece up under the unit had broken in two, looked to be a relatively easy fix, until I got home and pulled up the parts fiche. Looks like the the piece that is broken is the "case meter, lower" #14 on the attached URL, broke between the mounting bolts... haven't dove into it yet, but looks pretty complex, any experience or suggestions before I go Macgyver on this thing?

Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Sea-Doo Can-Am Ski-Doo Motorcycle Parts ATV parts Scooter Parts personal watercraft parts Accessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Discen

sorry, failed to mention that the bike is a 03 919... I did find the procedure on the service manual... anyone have a "case meter, lower" hanging around in the parts bin?

post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I,v only had #16 in the diagram off to change the bulbs, it might not be that bad, more than likely just a matter of a few screws to swap the internals. Good luck.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Honda Addict

After looking at the diagram I agree with rmb that it will probably be fairly easy and just a matter of a few screws/bolts. Looks like everything is separated into just a few components and easily plug into a harness.

Doubtful that anyone has an extra lower meter case they would be willing to part with unless it's along with the whole guage enchilada.

If you decide to order the part, I recommend checking the price at servicehonda.com. When I've ordered OEM parts parts before they always had the best prices. I would get the OEM part # from the microfiche diagram at ronayers.com then order thru Service Honda.

A little sly - yes. But, hey, as we all know - the best price wins!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

It's not difficult and you might be able to swap that lower case without unplugging any wires inside the headlight. I would be tempted to try some glass-epoxy only because I already have it.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
It's not difficult and you might be able to swap that lower case without unplugging any wires inside the headlight. I would be tempted to try some glass-epoxy only because I already have it.
For $57 bucks I'd be willing to try some epoxy too. I used epoxy to fix my brothers side-mirror after he knocked it off on a pole. Held for 2 years and 115,000 miles. He hit another pole. Sanded and epoxied it back on again, and it's still there. Nearly 100,000 miles and 7 years now. He quit his commuting job in there somewhere, so it took longer to put the last batch of miles on.

Oh, and a rule for choosing epoxy I use, make sure it'll work on plastic, and the longer it takes to cure, the better it is. I also rough up the surface to be glued with sandpaper, but I don't know if it helps - because I always do it.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 05:37 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

If it were me, I'd try JB Weld, I'v fixed ALOT of things with that stuff.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Discen

OK, got the thing apart... I think it can be epoxied, due to the ribs in the plastic being deep enough that they would hold LOTS of glue... if worse comes to worse, I'll cough up the 60.00, but I'm all about saving a buck so I can brag about it on here. any suggestions on a particular adhesive? due to the deep ribs, may be difficult to get all the plastic surfaces completely clean for perfect adhesion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode