• 1 Post By bartsitarski
  • 2 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Spanner wrench

The guy I bought my 9er from set the suspension for his weight of 160#. I'm 190 so I want to adjust it accordingly. I want to buy a spanner wrench but I can't find which size I need. Lil help? I found a couple sites that'll walk me through the process but if you have any tips specifically for my 03 I'll welcome them. Anyone have the link for the service manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

post #3 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 04:57 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I believe you're looking for item #7...

89202-KY1-700 SPANNER, PIN

Should be available at a dealer also.

See link -

Honda Parts Finder | Honda Parts Direct Palestine, TX (888) 446-6325
TheScientist likes this.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

How do I read the shock correctly? Am I looking at setting 5/7? As in there are only 2 more stiffer settings?

post #5 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist View Post
How do I read the shock correctly? Am I looking at setting 5/7? As in there are only 2 more stiffer settings?

Yep. It's pretty simple. And if you don't want to wait for the spammer, you can use a channel locks like I did. Just put one side in a notch and pull. That's how I did mine before getting the Ohlins.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #6 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Yep. It's pretty simple. And if you don't want to wait for the spammer, you can use a channel locks like I did. Just put one side in a notch and pull. That's how I did mine before getting the Ohlins.

That's a good idea till I get one. I'll give it a try. At 190# I figured 5/7 would have been my number but I guess not. Before looking at it I was thinking it was going to be set at 4/7 and would change it to 6/7 and get a large result. Would you say 6/7 from 5/7 will make much a difference? I can't imagine I'd go to 7/7 when guys are 250+ #. I'll try of course but not till later this week when I have time.

post #7 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 06:06 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
That's a good idea till I get one. I'll give it a try. At 190# I figured 5/7 would have been my number but I guess not. Before looking at it I was thinking it was going to be set at 4/7 and would change it to 6/7 and get a large result. Would you say 6/7 from 5/7 will make much a difference? I can't imagine I'd go to 7/7 when guys are 250+ #. I'll try of course but not till later this week when I have time.

I had mine set to 7 and I am (was) 220. Even then it still wasn't good. At the end of the day, the stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired. You can change the shock to a 2004+ for more adjustability but really the way to go is to upgrade to Penske or Ohlins.

TheScientist likes this.

-Michael Jordan
post #8 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 07:36 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I needed a spanner and I have 2 from a 700S, but couldn't find them. I used a screwdriver and put the rear in the air by balancing it on the kickstand. While standing over the bike while it was balanced on the kickstand, I was able to move the shock spring preload.

This method will also help if you use a spanner tool or home made tool, it just removes the weight from the shock and adds some pulling weight to it.

Edit: just read the settings you're looking at. I'm WAY off in mine ... I moved it 2 spots today, I'm going to move it near the top.

I guess (based on bartsitarski's comment about '04 up) you don't have the little dial at the bottom? I'm guessing it's for rebound? I put it 1/2 turn harder just to see what that would do.

Does anyone know the '06 adj rebound setting for someone near 200#? I'm about 1/2 turn from max hard.

post #9 of 25 Old 07-30-2017, 07:43 PM
McTavish

Suggest you at least try # 3 in order to see if you going in the wrong direction.
As in softer, not harder.
That's a 1200 #/inch spring in an 93, not the mush springs of 04 and later.
As insight, for whatever setting you are presently at, try lifting up from under the seat and see how much upward travel you can get.
My guess is not much and maybe none.
Then attempt to press down on the seat and see how much downstroke travel you can get.
Too much preload makes the suspension rigid at top out, and needing too big a load before it even begins to compress.
LDH and TheScientist like this.

post #10 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I needed a spanner and I have 2 from a 700S, but couldn't find them. I used a screwdriver and put the rear in the air by balancing it on the kickstand. While standing over the bike while it was balanced on the kickstand, I was able to move the shock spring preload.

This method will also help if you use a spanner tool or home made tool, it just removes the weight from the shock and adds some pulling weight to it.

Edit: just read the settings you're looking at. I'm WAY off in mine ... I moved it 2 spots today, I'm going to move it near the top.

I guess (based on bartsitarski's comment about '04 up) you don't have the little dial at the bottom? I'm guessing it's for rebound? I put it 1/2 turn harder just to see what that would do.

Does anyone know the '06 adj rebound setting for someone near 200#? I'm about 1/2 turn from max hard.

I was wondering where my rebound adjustment was located. I didn't notice a lower dial but since my daughter came down with a 103 fever last night I'll be staying home with her today which means I have some time to play around with the bike.

post #11 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 03:57 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
I was wondering where my rebound adjustment was located. I didn't notice a lower dial but since my daughter came down with a 103 fever last night I'll be staying home with her today which means I have some time to play around with the bike.

Ok, so your shock is the same design as the later shocks? Mine's an 06 and has the dial at the bottom and the spring settings that require a spanner.

Someone mentioned a different spring rate.

I'm kinda flying blind on getting the settings of everything right, but I've got it better than it was.

I'm surprised there isn't a complete write up here somewhere with people giving their settings. I've been guessing at the front settings for a while and just went back to what I hear stock setting is.

post #12 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Ok, so your shock is the same design as the later shocks? Mine's an 06 and has the dial at the bottom and the spring settings that require a spanner.

Someone mentioned a different spring rate.

I'm kinda flying blind on getting the settings of everything right, but I've got it better than it was.

I'm surprised there isn't a complete write up here somewhere with people giving their settings. I've been guessing at the front settings for a while and just went back to what I hear stock setting is.

I'm surprised as well. I've been looking for this info for a couple weeks.

post #13 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 06:00 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
I'm surprised as well. I've been looking for this info for a couple weeks.

We should have all the knowledge here, just need to prod someone into doing a write up. Given the limited suspension upgrades, it shouldn't be too hard to put together a write up.

Maybe ask the mods to put up a request.

post #14 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM
McTavish

Quote:

We all hope your daughter is doing much better today.

Now to your shock.
IF you have an 03 shock then you have a real spring and no rebound adjuster.
IF your 03 has been retrofitted with an 04 or later shock, then you don't have a spring and instead a coiled winding of mushy wire, but you do have a rebound adjuster that is best set mid point and thereafter ignored.
The reality is this.
Post 03 shocks are sprung wrong.
They are way too light.
Run them stiffer than # 4 or 5 and all you are doing is giving up initial bump compliance and creating a solid rear end when at full extension.
TheScientist likes this.

post #15 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
We all hope your daughter is doing much better today.

No better today and actually just puked blood about 1.5 hours ago. I'm fairly certain it's because of a nose bleed she had about 30 minutes earlier but because of the high fever for 2 days now, we decided to play it safe and take her to the ER. Doc agreed it was most likely because of the nose bleed but found her tonsils are massive so she's getting checked for strep now. If strep comes back neg, I'll wait another 24-36 hours and if no improvement, I'll get her checked for limes disease. Kids...

Mine has a spring so it's an 03. Good to know there is no rebound adjuster. I spent 2 hours looking for it today jk jk

post #16 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Side question, why does the "quote reply" option add stuff that I didn't see in my reply for e.g. the suspension picture? It's happened a couple times now.

post #17 of 25 Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
We should have all the knowledge here, just need to prod someone into doing a write up. Given the limited suspension upgrades, it shouldn't be too hard to put together a write up.

Maybe ask the mods to put up a request.

That would be awesome if someone would do it

post #18 of 25 Old 08-01-2017, 03:46 PM
919 Rider

Hope your daughter is felling better today. A few years ago my little girl had an ear ache and the flu. That bacteria in her ear got into her weak left lung. Doctors removed 2 litres of pus from her collapsed lung. An induced coma for a month. All good now.
Back to your rear shock. It's my personal opinion that the best setting for your rear shock is a cardboard box in your garage. Unless you weight 300 lbs it's too stiff and the front is a little soft. I weigh under 200lb. The ride was rough and because the throttle is so sensitive I sometimes snatched throttle off when hitting large bumps. I put in a new aftermarket shock and the bike is a lot more settled and comfortable.

post #19 of 25 Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
No better today and actually just puked blood about 1.5 hours ago. I'm fairly certain it's because of a nose bleed she had about 30 minutes earlier but because of the high fever for 2 days now, we decided to play it safe and take her to the ER. Doc agreed it was most likely because of the nose bleed but found her tonsils are massive so she's getting checked for strep now. If strep comes back neg, I'll wait another 24-36 hours and if no improvement, I'll get her checked for limes disease. Kids...

Mine has a spring so it's an 03. Good to know there is no rebound adjuster. I spent 2 hours looking for it today jk jk

That sucks, T! Hope she feels better soon! Hang in there. If that was me puking blood, I would wait it out 5 days and probably loose a kidney in the process. Ahhhhh.... The difference in being a guy and being a parent. I don't go to the doctor for myself because "they are all out to get me medicated and broke" but take the kids in as soon as they say they don't feel well.

As far as the spring goes, pop it out to max and see how she rides. Then upgrade if you are in a position to make the investment (read: plan on keeping the bike for the long haul).

-Michael Jordan
post #20 of 25 Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:

From the way you said "Mine has a spring so it's an 03", it almost sounds like you didn't get the sarcasm. All the 919 rear shocks have springs, they just have different rates. I don't know how hard it is to change the springs, or even if a new spring would help that much as it seems to be more about the whole shock not being so great.

I wonder if you swapped the body with an adjustment and kept your spring if that would help. Probably best to not bother. Too much work for too little gain.

Hope the kid's doing better.

post #21 of 25 Old 08-02-2017, 06:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Hope your daughter is felling better today. A few years ago my little girl had an ear ache and the flu. That bacteria in her ear got into her weak left lung. Doctors removed 2 litres of pus from her collapsed lung. An induced coma for a month. All good now.
Back to your rear shock. It's my personal opinion that the best setting for your rear shock is a cardboard box in your garage. Unless you weight 300 lbs it's too stiff and the front is a little soft. I weigh under 200lb. The ride was rough and because the throttle is so sensitive I sometimes snatched throttle off when hitting large bumps. I put in a new aftermarket shock and the bike is a lot more settled and comfortable.

That's kinda odd, others are saying it's too soft. One of the problems with upgrading the shock is that it's an investment of 1/3 to 1/2 what some of us paid for the bike. I know there's not much that can change that, so most of us will have to stay with what we have or look for some cheap upgrade.

I like the old days of cars where you could go to the junk yard and grab a truck full of parts and completely change your car for cheap... Too bad you can't do that so easy with bikes.
TheScientist likes this.

post #22 of 25 Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 AM
919 Rider

Pre 04 the rear spring was hard. 04 and onwards the rear spring is soft and adjustable rebound. Also 04 and on the forks were made with adjustable rebound, pre 04 the forks had no adjustment.
TheScientist likes this.

post #23 of 25 Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
From the way you said "Mine has a spring so it's an 03", it almost sounds like you didn't get the sarcasm. All the 919 rear shocks have springs, they just have different rates. I don't know how hard it is to change the springs, or even if a new spring would help that much as it seems to be more about the whole shock not being so great.

I wonder if you swapped the body with an adjustment and kept your spring if that would help. Probably best to not bother. Too much work for too little gain.

Hope the kid's doing better.

Oops nope missed the sarcasm. As my name implies, I'm an actual scientist for a large Corporation working in R&D and my ability to catch sarcasm isn't the greatest

post #24 of 25 Old 08-03-2017, 06:59 PM
919 Rider

Did you find a spanner for your shock yet? I found mine. Don't think I'll ever need it again as I've removed stock rear shock. Your welcome to it.

post #25 of 25 Old 08-10-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Did you find a spanner for your shock yet? I found mine. Don't think I'll ever need it again as I've removed stock rear shock. Your welcome to it.

Sorry man. Missed this message somehow. I won't be needing the spanner wrench because I was able to use this bad boy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode