So I got this friend.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

So I got this friend....

That wants to buy a motorcycle when he gets back from Afghanistan next year. He likes the 919 but wants something a little different. Being from Iowa he wanted a Harley, I talked him back in to his senses, even though a Dark Custom Iron 883 Sportster is a sexy cheap little bike. I took him to one of the local dealers and showed him a few bikes. The guy is about 6'3" and showed him the new FZ8 he loved the look and the price point. Question is for a first time rider and that height is this a good bike for him to start out with? He like the Z1000 too but I told him the torque on that might be too much for a first time rider.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

There is a rash of soldiers returning with pockets full of money and buying high performance sport bikes. Fearless attitude and 150+ HP is a dangerous combination, I've been told that the armed forces are counseling guys getting out because so many have been hurt or killed on bikes.

No offense to anyone who served please, obviously many are experienced riders but any new rider shouldn't get in over his head, and when you've faced death that makes riding a motorcycle seem pretty tame. Some guys like cruisers, I don't get it but to each their own. The FZ8 seems like a reasonable compromise of power and rideability, large enough for a tall guy too.

post #3 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I was born and raised in Iowa and have never wanted a Harley

post #4 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Being from Iowa he wanted a Harley
How do Harley's and Iowa go together, lack of twisties?

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Sbeau is right about the military counseling returning vets...that being said, I don't think the FZ8 is a bad bike to start on.

I also didnt think the 919 was a bad one to start back on...you just need to keep your head.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM
MSF blacksheep

The fz8 is very close to a 919. I ride with someone who has one and its pretty but has zero suspension adjustments. I would recommend a twin 650 like a ninja 650 or sv650. The twin makes things less twitchy which is good for a new rider. If he has to have an inline 4 id say 919. For the price of an fz8 he could get a 919 and mod the poop out of it.

post #7 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
How do Harley's and Iowa go together, lack of twisties?
Heart of America. This is his words not mine!

I figured the 8 was good but thought it might be small for him.

post #8 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
The fz8 is very close to a 919. I ride with someone who has one and its pretty but has zero suspension adjustments. I would recommend a twin 650 like a ninja 650 or sv650. The twin makes things less twitchy which is good for a new rider. If he has to have an inline 4 id say 919. For the price of an fz8 he could get a 919 and mod the poop out of it.
I didn't know all that about the FZ8...but thanks for the info. it's a great looking bike. I'd actually considered the FZ as a possible replacement bike in a couple years. it always pays to do some checking beforehand!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I guess it all depends on the type of riding he wants to do and the type of roads. It may be that a cruiser fits what he wants. Get him to a Kawasaki Ticket to Ride (or similar) event next year and he can ride all different types of bikes and see what suits him best.

post #10 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

And get him signed up in a MSF course.

post #11 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
this before anything..... have him suck up his pride and ego and take the msf course.

post #12 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM
MSF blacksheep

Its amazing how much someone can learn in 20 hours. I've ran over 150 classes and it still amazes me.

post #13 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Required for any military member who wants to ride on base. As an active duty Air Force he also get reimbursed for it.

post #14 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Required for any military member who wants to ride on base. As an active duty Air Force he also get reimbursed for it.
Excellent!

post #15 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

The Marines actually lost more men to motorcycles accidents than enemy action in Iraq during 2008. 25 to 20. All but one were sportbikes. Checkable facts on the net if your doubting.

Both Army and Marines have mandatory rider courses when on Active Duty. I can't get on any base without the following.

Helmet
Gloves
Riding jacket with dayglo color or dayglo overvest
Long pants
Ankle high boots

Keep him simple the first season please. Nobody seems to know the output of the FZ8. A couple sites put it at 105HP but don't say if its crank or wheel.

If he wants different, maybe show him an Aprilia Shiver. Nice middleweight and not overpowered.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #16 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM
MSF blacksheep

Or a duc monster 696

post #17 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
lurker

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Riding jacket with dayglo color or dayglo overvest
They sorta have done away with that requirement.

From https://www.cnic.navy.mil/cnrma/Regi...ning/index.htm

4. Protective Clothing. Riders and passengers’ shall wear a long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a motorcycle. Motorcycle jackets constructed of abrasion resistant materials such as leather, Kevlar, and/or cordura and containing impact-absorbing padding are highly recommended. To enhance the ability of other vehicle operators to see and avoid motorcyclists, outer garments constructed of brightly colored and reflective materials are highly recommended during daylight hours. Reflective outer garments or vest shall be worn during nighttime hours.

post #18 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Former 919er

Jumping around the net a common recommendation is the SV650. It really does appear to be a perfect bike to start out on. It has the smooth power deliver that Ferris mentioned, it handles nice and it has enough guts to remain fun for a long while.

He can pick up a used one, ride it for 6 months or so, sell it for close to what it was bought for and then move on.

Re. Cruisers - we knock them, but despite the bad brakes, etc., new riders are far less likely to get over their heads and kill themselves. A cruiser may not be a bad start from that perspective.

post #19 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The bike is the bike, the new rider is a new rider, tryto get the guy to spend a little extra on gear.

post #20 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Too slow to ride fast

If you're looking in the fz8 power ballpark, he needs to seriously look at the Aprilia Shiver 750. It's like a baby Tuono. V-twin, sufficient power, ride by wire technology, three factory maps with the flick of a switch, and they are blowing out new, never registered models (2008-2011) for super cheap. Browsing cycletrader.com the other day, there were many dealers offering them for around $6500. I'd run out and get one myself but, no spare cash at the moment.

Got it whittled down to a sensible two bikes.
post #21 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Batman

I recommend a triumph bonnie or if so he inclines Maybe a thruxton. A 900 isn't too much, and they look sexy imho.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #22 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Street Triple! Good value for money (especially the R version) and not too powerfull, but also not to weak so he shouldn't get bored after the first 6 months.

My neighbour is a new-ish rider and after he did the minimum period (9 months for people over 25 over here) on a 250, he immediately bought a Street 3. He is also a very tall guy. 12 months on and he absolutely loves his bike. (he is mid to late 30's and quite a responsible guy).

post #23 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Marine Corps actually (at least up here at Quantico) requires Marines to take a minimum of two courses, the Basic and Advanced rider's course (Advanced must be within 6 months of basic rider's course). If they ride a sportbike then they have to substitute the advanced for the Sportbike safety course. Curiously they've made the reflective vest requirement optional during daylight hours, and I never see anyone wearing theirs on base during the day.

Back onto the topic, maybe he should get something smaller (SV650 or a cruiser in similar size) to see if riding is actually his cup of tea. That way if he eventually decides it's not for him then he hasn't spent gobs of money on something he has no real interest in. My wife made me get a Honda Rebel (250cc of pure powah!!!) because in her words, "If you fuck up a little you won't kill yourself outright." At first I was a little put out with the comments I got, but riding that little put put for a few years is probably the smartest thing I've done on a motorcycle (aside from actually listening to my wife and taking her advice).

post #24 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
They sorta have done away with that requirement.

From https://www.cnic.navy.mil/cnrma/Regi...ning/index.htm

4. Protective Clothing. Riders and passengers’ shall wear a long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a motorcycle. Motorcycle jackets constructed of abrasion resistant materials such as leather, Kevlar, and/or cordura and containing impact-absorbing padding are highly recommended. To enhance the ability of other vehicle operators to see and avoid motorcyclists, outer garments constructed of brightly colored and reflective materials are highly recommended during daylight hours. Reflective outer garments or vest shall be worn during nighttime hours.

Maybe for squids, er ahhh Naval Personnel.

AR 385-55 still dictates brightly color jacket during the day and reflective at night for us Army boys. Icon actually makes Mil-Spec vests and jackets with ID holders and everything. They are pretty nice.

Just to summarize

SV650
Aprilia Shiver
Street Triple
Ducati Monster of any size (maybe not the 1100)

Any of these would make a great first bike that you wouldn't get bored with.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #25 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Air Force still requiors us to wear it during the day as well.

The guy is from Audbon, IA

So yeah he is in love with the FZ8. Just got to wait for him toe deploy and come home safe and I got a new riding buddy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode