Side swiped and lowsided on Labor Day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Side swiped and lowsided on Labor Day

Yesterday, I was side swiped by a car and went down while out for a ride back to see my parents in Queens. I was traveling eastbound on the Grand Central Parkway near the Jewel avenue exit and moved from the 2nd to 3rd lane to pass a car slowing down. As I'm passing the car, next thing I know a car moves in from my left side and makes hard contact with me. The bike went into a tank slapper, I lost control, and I lowsided on the left at about 50 mph. I skid / rolled down the road a bit, got up, and immediately ran to the center divider. Luckily, an EMT was following relatively closely behind and provided medical treatment right away. The other driver stopped and now I'm in the process of filing insurance claims, etc.

Some lessons learned:
1. Full gear saved my ass. I was wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, knee guards, and racing boots. Absolutely no skin to concrete contact. I got up and walked off a 50mph crash with only a scrape on my left elbow from impacting the inside of my jacket, a slight bruise to my left hip, and a sore spot on my inside right ankle from the inside of my boot. I consider myself lucky. If not for the knee armor that I sometimes skip, my left knee would be a bloody mess right now after sliding down the road. I don't want to think about what the rest would have looked like without gear.
2. Ride defensively and never forget that you are invisible to cars.
3. Motovation slides did a great job of preserving the bike but absolutely suck in protecting the left side alternator cover.

I need the recommendations of people on this forum on good licensed motorcycle shops in the NYC or NJ area to work on a 2007 919. The bike is still being held at a towing facility in Brooklyn. Damage is as follows:

- Broken OEM windscreen (took me forever to find one)
- Small scratch to tank
- Grinded off section of tail plastic
- Scratched Yoshi TRS exhaust
- Broken left peg / scratched passenger peg
- Cracked alternator cover
- Grinded rizoma bar end
- Grinded pazzo clutch lever
- Scratched Aprilla shiver mirror
- Some possible oil stains from where all of the oil leaked out of the alternator cover

Thinking about it now, damage doesn't appear too bad, but I have no idea how much all of this is going to cost in terms of parts and labor. The right side is completely clean. I still have my stock mirrors, stock levers, stock exhausts. I imagine then that the most expensive parts to replace would be the tail plastic and the alternator cover. I have every intention to fix the bike and ride it until the engine or frame breaks. I'm just not sure what my insurance (Rider Insurance NJ) is going to do.

What are your thoughts and recommendations on shops to fix it? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02815.jpg (141.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02819.jpg (77.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02818.jpg (134.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02829.jpg (57.6 KB, 93 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Glad to hear you're OK. As for suggestions...Ebay. Or, if you got the money, Ronayers.com will have all the parts. I found pretty good prices there when I lowsided my CBR. Plastic is expensive.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #3 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Sixty-9er

Interesting to see the frame mounted slider failure. How were they mounted?

"Grip it and Rip it!"

post #4 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Sorry to hear, but glad you came off relatively unscathed. What pants & knee guards were you wearing?

Lucky your tank also made it undamaged, that would be a pain and $$ to repair or replace.

post #5 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 03:42 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Glad to hear you're OK! I can't offer anything in parts but I hope you get her back together in time for the meetup.

post #6 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Those are Motovaton sliders which mount on a metal bar going straight through the frame exiting on both sides of the bike.

Was wearing normal jeans, but I had a set of Alphinestars reflex knee guards underneath. The knee guards cost only $25 which is well worth it.

I went down wearing a Joe Rocket mesh jacket which held up very well. My only complaint with the jacket is that the interior mesh material is what gave me a scrape and made an imprint on my left elbow when I impacted the pavement. If it had been a smoother material around the elbow guard, I may only have a bruise vs. losing the first 2 layers of skin.

post #7 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Immune

Damn - glad to hear you and the bike are in quite good shape considering the type of wreck-up it was.

Not sure how insurance payments work there in NY where the wreck was, but is it possible just to get the value of the repairs required in a check? It looks like replacing parts will be the best bet to get it back to original, and the damage is mild enough that you could be able to do it yourself. I actually came out ahead by doing this with a car accident in NJ in the past...

post #8 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Glad you are OK. And congrats on being smart and wearing gear. You probably wouldn't have been able to write this post from a hospital bed.

If you aren't in a huge hurry to repair the bike, I'd put the stock parts back on, get your check from insurance, and shop eBay (and WT where possible) piece by piece. Hopefully you have coverage for accessories. And don't forget to claim your gear with the insurance company. Everything that is knicked up and made contact with anything should be considered totaled.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #9 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Was wearing normal jeans, but I had a set of Alphinestars reflex knee guards underneath. The knee guards cost only $25 which is well worth it.
I have the same knee guards! They do seem well worth the money spent. I paid NZ$40 for mine, extremely good value, considering they are shin guards as well, well padded and relatively comfy, compared to other knee guards that were well over NZ$100 and don't seem much different. They are strictly speaking of road guards, but relative to other offroad guards that I've looked at, have quite thick padding.

Reflex Knee Guard - Alpinestars Official Store

Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards - webBikeWorld

I usually wear them in the summer under my Draggin Jeans:

Draggin Jeans is the world leader in casual motorcycle clothing with KevlarŽ and DyneemaŽ, the World's Strongest Fibre™, forming its revolutionary lining

post #10 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Good to see you posting. I echo what Ken said.

On another note, that frame slider looks really bent and ground away for a 50 MPH getoff. Would have been worse without it but damn. Is the cover just ground down or bent inward also? Don't start it if it is.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry about the accident. Glad you were relatively unscathed. It's heartbreaking seeing your ride all banged up, but it can be fixed.

post #12 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

glad you are ok dude. www.monmouthcycles.com is your place, cheapest oem honda parts, period. It looks like you can fix her yourself. Hurry up, we have a ride coming up

post #13 of 28 Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
919>food>beer

glad to hear you are ok... now my question is why is your insurance paying for it when another car hit you, and that car stopped?

post #14 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Glad to hear you are alright. Bike looks like an easy fix.

Spoiler:

post #15 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

To clarify some points:

1. I've never been in an accident before so I'm not sure what my exact next steps are.

2. Insurance told me to bring the bike to a shop for an appraisal. I assumed at first that they would work on it, but is it the case that insurance would usually just cut me a check for the damages and I can do whatever I want with the bike after? This seems to make more sense given that the majority of parts needing replacement are aftermarket.

3. I have full coverage on the bike so I get paid by insurance whether it is my own or money directed from the other insurance agency.

post #16 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Glad to hear you're ok - that accident could have been a lot worse!

They told you to bring the bike to them? Lazy bastards. Usually an agent comes to your house to takes photos and get all the info.

Before you meet with them, go to an online parts place like Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit and make a shopping list of every scratched and broken OEM part, so you can show them the price of every part. For aftermarket parts, show them your receipts or a printout from the manufacturers website.

post #17 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
CG

First suggestion is to have the bike examined closely by a Honda dealer. There might be some not-so-obvious but quite serious frame, fork, etc. damage. This would be from the car hitting you from the side, not the aftermath low-side and slide. Make sure you have a full and complete accounting of all damage before doing anything.

If the other driver was insured, you should expect to get $2-5K just for pain, hassle, lost time from work, etc. This is over and above any actual damages and medical expenses. You should be able to get that much without hiring a lawyer.

Good luck. Good to hear you didn't get too banged up yourself.

The frame sliders look like I would expect. I agree you are really luck the tank is unscathed.

post #18 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Smart man wearing full gear, you have me interested in those knee guards. Heal up and get back on! I'm also happy your basicly unscathed.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #19 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Immune

"I assumed at first that they would work on it, but is it the case that insurance would usually just cut me a check for the damages and I can do whatever I want with the bike after?"

It depends, and I'm not sure on what (Ins. Co.? State of accident?)... I've been handed a check after getting an appraisal by an agent and also seen where the insurance company would only pay a repair shop a set rate for their work. I would try to go directly through the other person's insurance company and leave your's out of it if at all possible. I think you should notify your insurance company - but try to drive all the payments directly from the other company. I would call their insurance company and ask exactly how this will be handled through them.

post #20 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Damn bud! Glad to see you're ok! You're the second member to crash test those A-star knee protectors...the first being Ridge and they save his knee as well. I also have them but don't always remember to wear them....guess I should from here on out.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Tirone shoelaces

This is what a crash report "SHOULD" read like.
Great job on the full gear!

I wear the same amount of gear - including knee guards (Fieldsheer Armadillo guards).

Would you post pics of everything you were wearing?
I'd like to see what took the damage.

Thanks!

BTW - I have the same bike, same year, with the same Motovation frame sliders.
Keep us informed about the damage to the bike please!
Expect to have additional damage to the alternator internals. There's not much clearance between the cover and moving parts inside.

post #22 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Here's what I was wearing:

1. Shoei RF-1100
2. Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket - took the most beating but did it's job. Armor is tucked away in the jacket in the elbows, shoulders, and back pad. The elbow material is worn away significantly from the skidding, but the mesh is still very much intact. The jacket saved me from major injuries, but anyone buying jackets should make sure that the inner jacket material is smooth around potential impact points. The mesh material on the inner sleeve behind the elbow armor took off some skin after the initial impact with the ground (picture attached).
3. Alpinestars Alloy gloves - knuckle guard took some beating
4. Alpinestars Reflex knee guards - notice the monstrous hole in the pant leg where my left knee would have been
5. Sidi Vertigo Air boots - worked very well at protecting my feet and ankles. Several of the plastic skid plates are scratched as expected.

All of the gear performed great overall and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone else riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (94.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0136.jpg (116.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (129.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.jpg (95.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.jpg (118.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (78.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.jpg (34.0 KB, 12 views)

post #23 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Milites Gregarius

You can get parts for those boots ... glad you are okay,the rest of your gear should be insured. And your helmet needs replacing.

'03 RC
CRA
#667 N
post #24 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Sckill,
Thanks for posting pics - the gear looks better than I expected for a ~50mph tumble.

You & I wear very similar gear. Same boots, in fact!
I commute most every day on the bike; it's a 25 mile trip each way through heavy traffic.

For me, the knee guards go on the outside of the pants... that makes it easier to take them off once I get to the office. I have been looking at the A-stars Bionic MX Knee Protector - it looks more robust in the knee area and doesn't go down the shin into the boot.
A* Bionic MX Knee protector
They're more expensive, though ~$100 is not bad for gear worn daily.

post #25 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Milites Gregarius

post #26 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Glad you are OK!

post #27 of 28 Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Thanks for posting the pics, very interesting. What did you have in terms of back protection, you say the jacket had an internal pad, is this the standard foam pad that they sell the jackets with?

post #28 of 28 Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

I had the standard joe rocket backpad. I own several Joe rocket jackets and the back pads that come with the jacket are typically harder and much higher density foam than the flimsy sponges I've seen in other jackets. It's not the same level of protection and stiffness as a CE approved protector though but it worked.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode