Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Shoei--RF-1200 vs RF-Sr vs GT Air

13K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Bryce919er 
#1 · (Edited)
Time to get a new helmet. Currently have a RF-1000 I got when they were closing them out. Got an XXL but it loosened up quite a bit & is very noisy because it is too big. It seems my head is longer front-back than left-right. I have no issues with the XXL RF-1000 other than it is too big, comfort wise can wear it all day. I tried/bought a Scorpion EXO-750 (XXL) sight unseen & after 1 hour I am in pain from a hot spot on my forehead. It has got to go, so I am back in my RF-1000 for now.

Tried on an XL RF-1200 & RF-SR & think those will work for me. Seemed the SR was a little looser than the 1200 but may just be a fancier liner or something in the 1200. I also just spotted a closeout on the GT-Air that puts the price at the RF-SR level. I have never tried on a GT-Air & there is zero chance I will get to do so outside of a purchase. I read some reviews & some say the GT-Air fits tighter than other Shoei helmets. True?

SR vs. 1200 vs. GT-Air thoughts??? (not the Air II BTW)
The GT does not carry the same safety ratings due to the integral glasses/visor--is that a problem?
I wear normal glasses---would the drop down glass/visor interfere with them?
Is the 1200 worth the extra $$ over the SR?
Is it better to get a fresh 1200- or SR vs. an old GT-Air?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I picked up the GT Air bc of the sale. I was gonna get an RF SR but the GT was only about $35 more. Theyre not snell rated bc of the drop down visor but likely would be without. I googled and found the response i was looking for somewhere out there. I too wear glasses and theres notches for them. I cant say anything about the other helmets as i havent tried em out. My head shape had me in either a shoei or scorpion as well. Good luck.

#3 ·
I have the SR.
However it is my first Shoei and first “high end” helmet, so I really have nothing to base a good comparison on.
I have no complaints and really like it.
I ride with sunglasses and they do not cause any discomfort or annoyance.

I chose it over the 1200 for a couple reasons:

-Price.
The SR offers the same safety standards as the 1200 but the lower price is due to lesser premium type features (although the SR still offers plenty in these categories, just a step down from the 1200, but still much better than most low/mid-price helmets); i.e. - interior comfort, noise levels, venting.

-Field of view.
According to the reviews I read/watched the 1200 has a smaller visor that is positioned higher up. It is optimized on sport bikes when in a full tuck. When riding in an upright position, you have to point your head down more, instead of just your eyes, to view your gauges/controls.
The SR has a visor position that is more optimal for upright seating positions. I don’t have to move my head at all when looking down at my dash.

#4 ·
Interesting & good point as I only ride standards/nakeds/dual sports/etc. I noted on my current RF-1000 the vents don't do much UNTIL I tilt my head down a bit & then I can feel the air flowing & made the connection if I were riding a sportbike that is the position my head would always be in.

Heavy--have you rode with the GT-Air yet?

#6 ·
I had an RF-1100 and then went to the Qwest and now the GT-Air. I tried on an RF-1200 and it just didn't feel as comfortable or well fitting as the other two and found a great deal on the GT-Air. If anything the GT-Air it seems to fit looser than the Qwest and the RF-1100 of the same size.

#7 ·
Cant say about the SR, but I own a GT Air and an RF 1200. They are both great helmets, but I always grab the GT Air. The 1200 flows more air than the Air, is not as quite as the Air. I have the transition shield on the 1200 and it works great, but I like the drop down on the Air, as I will pop open the visor without going blind. As others have said the Air is not Snell as the 1200, but it is the dropdown visor that knocked that out. Personally, I dont care. I might wear the 1200 4 times a month and the air every day. I give the edge to my GT Air, but you cant go wrong either way, as both are nice and comfortable and very quality helmets.

Attachments

#8 ·
You do know that you can change the internal pad sets to adjust helmet fit, right? I have an RF-1200 XL that was too tight and I switched to the next larger (looser) pad set and that fixed it. I also have a XL Qwest that was getting too loose so again, a pad set switch for the next size tighter and problem solved. The only trouble is the pad sets are not free so you can't really afford to change too many times looking for "the fit."

#9 ·
In addition to buying new pads, as Trailing_Throttle mentioned, you can wear a balaclava. I wear a very, very thin one and it gives me the "just right" fit. If I don't wear it, it's too loose. It also helps to keep the helmet clean because you wash it every so often.

Mine is the very, very thin Summer version, but you can get the thicker ones for Winter.
They also keep the sun off your neck and I think the Summer ones help to keep you cooler as it gets wet and the air blows by.

#10 · (Edited)
To finish up this thread I bought the GT-Air in XL shortly after I started the thread. I did not get to try the GT-Air on before buying--just a SR & 1200. I think the GT-Air was a little tighter than both of those XL to XL--particularly the cheek pads. In addition to the cheeks it also seemed to squish my glasses up so they floated off my face. I ordered the next size looser (31mm) cheek pads (they want $55 a set now but maybe they increased the cost recently as I thought I only paid $40) & it helped both issues.

As for a review of the GT-Air its a quality helmet obviously but I do not find it as quiet or air flowing as I expected. I found that it is fairly loud with the top vent open but is dependent on head position. I must ride around "chin up" because in my normal comfortable position I get a whistle from the top vent. If I lower my chin & lead with my forehead (like if I had a sportier riding position bike) it goes away & is quiet (way more quiet than my loose fitting 1000 2XL). I have learned noise is too subjective due to bike, riding position, & personal opinion to compare. The integral sun visor is nice but I still prefer regular sunglasses as it does not drop down low enough or seal against the nose enough & lets a lot of light in. I read on the GT-Air II they made the visor longer in this regard. Still nice to have to double up on the sunglasses riding into direct sun, if it is going back in forth between cloudy & sunny, on quick trips so you don't have to bring a change of glasses, or if leaving just before dusk so can switch on the fly instead of stopping to change glasses.

All in all I'd pick the GT-Air over the others again at or near (within $100) the same price point. If the GT-Air was more than that I would probably try the RF-SR as I did not feel the need to swap cheek pads in it & supposedly it is designed for the most upright riding position, but I have never ridden in one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.