Route 555, triple nickel, Southern Ohio - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

A Road on my list to ride ---- RT. 555, Triple Nickel, Southern Ohio

Been hearing about this road in Southern Ohio......(its around 6 hours from Michigan)

....its called the triple nickel or Route 555...... You start in Zanesville, OH ---- and end up in Chesterhill. Looks like an amazing 60 mile stretch of twisties. If you want.....you can cut from Chesterhill to the Blue Ridge Parkway... and ride the entire Blue Ridge to Deal's Gap. (which in itself would be a 3 day trip or so....)

Been looking for good video of it on You Tube --- really haven't found much.... either the footage is bad, or the riders are being stupid with bad form. The footage below is with a few riders being painfully slow --- but the video gives you a very good idea of what the road is like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrZ8WpLkEI

Here's the map...

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

and some more info from MotorcycleRoads.com

The Triple Nickle - Route 555: Ohio Motorcycle Rides

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

It is a good ride. I would suggest hitting it during the week. The weekends bring out the campers and vacationers as well as the farmers headed into town. The last time I was on 555 there were parts of it that were in terrible condition, but that was 2 years ago or so. Perhaps they have resurfaced it recently. There have been a lot of resurfacing projects going on in our riding area over the last year due to all the Obama money. It is worth a ride even in unknown condition, just beware of all the usual hazards on such a road.

When do you plan on coming down for a ride?

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #3 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Tesserarius

Ohio is FULL of twisty roads, some better than 555..

I ride with a group of guys out of Pittsburgh and we do trips thru Ohio and WV... its a long day of riding but TONS of fun.

Hey fehren2800, you should join sportsbikealliance.com im sure are rides could meet up with you sometime.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro

post #4 of 7 Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
It is a good ride. I would suggest hitting it during the week. The weekends bring out the campers and vacationers as well as the farmers headed into town. The last time I was on 555 there were parts of it that were in terrible condition, but that was 2 years ago or so. Perhaps they have resurfaced it recently. There have been a lot of resurfacing projects going on in our riding area over the last year due to all the Obama money. It is worth a ride even in unknown condition, just beware of all the usual hazards on such a road.

When do you plan on coming down for a ride?
We for sure are going to detour through the 555 on our way to Deal's Gap in the Spring.... thinking of leaving early Friday morning May 13th and getting to Zanesville at around Noon..... maybe finding a place at the end of the 555 for lodging for the night.

I'd also like to do a 2-3 day trip and simply stay in a hotel down there....get up every day and ride a different set of roads in the area. Maybe in July or so....

post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

You riding the whole way or hauling the bikes down?

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I'm riding the entire way down on the 919 this year. (with 2 others....zx14 and a Blackbird) Though, with the 555 thrown in, we can stop somewhere for the night to break things up.

The bike is ready....w/soft luggage, SW-motech handle bar risers, cramp buster for throttle, Bead Rider seat pad, and an MRA Roadshield windscreen. The 9ers better equipped than the other bikes.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

WTH at 2:57? Get off the back brake dude.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode