rode a VFR1200 DCT today! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Optio

rode a VFR1200 DCT today!

Went to the dealer to get some shims for my 600 vavle adjustment. It was earlier this mornign so things were slow. One of the salesmen askes if I want to take a DCT bike for a ride. Heck yea I do.

DCT is awsome. I'm a purest to say the least. But if I had the least bit of traffic on a daily comute that dual clutch would be worth its weight in gold. In "D" it upshift like a crown vic. Soon as possible and smooth as glass. "S" mode holds the gear longer and down shifts when brakes are applied. I found it pointless. If you want that its easier to shift with the up/dwn buttons. Its also easier to toggle the at/mt switch than the D/S switch while riding.
My only complaints is the left hand is busy if its in manual mode since shifting, turn sig, and horn are all clumped closely together. Something I'm sure one can get used to.
The shifting down is smooth as glass even in manual mode and hammering it. Up shifts are smooth too. When going all out a little too smooth. I'd like it to hit the next gear harder.

Moving around a parking lots is cake. The bike is super stable and easy to manuver at less than a walking pace. the engine is smooth and fueling is responsive just above idle. The clutch disengages seamlessly once you start to go slower tan idle speed. I was very suprised.

From a dead stop its easy to just pin it wot. Its engages smoothly and the engine disapointingly doesn't have that much at lower rpms. So wot is easy to handle. If it were me I'd like to ssee manual mode have some kind of launch control. Slip the clutch more for speedier launches. A DCT bike will get murdered by any K bike if the owner has any idea how to launch it.

As for the rest of the bike its been covered here already. But my opinion is its a great GT bike. Its acceleration is underwelming. Though I'm likely a little jaded from my 1000. It turn great at higher speeds and super low speeds. The engine is smooth and sounds great. I can't wait to hear one with a slip on.
Seat is comfy, peg hight is comfy. I of coarse would prefer the grips to be higher up. My shoulder did start to get tight after a 30 mile ride. It does suck that at $17.5k the bike has an auto but no cruise. Or heated grips, or a more thorough trip computer.

I'll definitly put one my list bikes I want. Likely no chance of buying one, but I'd enjoy having one for a daily rider.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting to get another perspective on this bike.

post #3 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Le So Cal Troll

so i take it there is no shifter on the left foot, or clutch lever for that matter. Sounds like it would be pretty interesting to ride and sounds like they have done what every other automatic transmission has done over the past 15 yrs... got soft. Where shifts overlap insane ammounts to make it feel seemless... which aint my cup o tea.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I rode a DN-01 and it had a kick on the upshifts. The soft launch is a bit of downer.

post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Optio

There is no lever on the left bar or for the left foot. It definitly not what every automaticc has done in the past. Its an amazing piece of tech and even more amazing in its exicusion. I never road an FJR with an auto but I've heard it pretty bad. I've plenty of horror stories from car drivers with DCT when i comes to very low speed driveability. This system worked great. I couldn't complain. And believe me I would if I could.

I think its only a matter of time it shows up on racer replicas which I am sure will not have soft shifts. And would likely have some kind of launch control too. The vfr is softer, its catering to the type of person who will buy it. The salesmen said he thinks it will be on the goldwings soon. I don't doubt him. But who knows how true it really is.

The controls are like this. Right hand has two switches. One (thumb) toggels between Neutral, Drive, Sport mode. This one is a stretch to reach. I found it a pain to use and I have long fingers. DO NOT goose the throttle at a red light to hear that cool engine if you are not in neutral!
2nd switch (forefinger) is to toggle between manual and auto mode. This one is easy to reach. I found using Drive mode for cruising/city and manual for everything else to be nice. I didn't care for sport mode.

The left hand has two buttons. Forefinger has one for upshifts, the thumb has one for down shifts when in manual mode.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #6 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Le So Cal Troll

nice... ya it sounds like they did a damn good job puttin the dual clutch tranny into a motorcycle. props to honda!

post #7 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
There is no lever on the left bar or for the left foot. ... The left hand has two buttons. Forefinger has one for upshifts, the thumb has one for down shifts when in manual mode.
That must be downright weird, getting used to that.
Do you reckon its something that will eventually replace conventional controls?

post #8 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
That must be downright weird, getting used to that.
Do you reckon its something that will eventually replace conventional controls?
let me just say this... there is a reason why F1 cars all have dual clutch trannies... simply put you can make so much faster cleaner shifts than the human ever could... i dunno how practical it is to have in a mainstream setting as a motorcycle must be smaller... but u never kno!

post #9 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Optio

I don't seee it ever being mainstream on bikes. Lotss of added cost and complexity and weight. the onlly up sides are luxury, and possibly in the future performance.

Cars though. It will become more and more comon as fuel regs get harder to meet. Since manuals have higher in gear effeciency a dual clutch gives that effeciency along with the frills of an AT. Better performance and economy. the weight penalty is minimal on something as heavy as a car. And with gated shifters going to a dual clutcch gives huge gains in shifting speed.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #10 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i got a chance to ride the normal 6 speed vfr 1200 couple weeks ago, though not out on the road due to a complete stanger let me take his with less then 100 miles around the parking lot at a gas station. wish i could have hammered it up the road but did not want to push it. seating is great bike felt good. very well balanced at parking lot speeds.
i liked it its on the list for sure

post #11 of 15 Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
i got a chance to ride the normal 6 speed vfr 1200 couple weeks ago, though not out on the road due to a complete stanger let me take his with less then 100 miles around the parking lot at a gas station. wish i could have hammered it up the road but did not want to push it. seating is great bike felt good. very well balanced at parking lot speeds.
i liked it its on the list for sure
Cool story! I don't know if I would have the balls to ride a strangers brand new bike!

post #12 of 15 Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Gawked at a new 1200 for an hour. Nice looking bike.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #13 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Wow, sounds awful!

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #14 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Interceptor!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I thinks its inevitable we'll see more of these on bikes. Yamaha has deposited patents for its own version of DCT, and we should be seeing it on their next gen R1 and R6s.

I like the skill and feeling of shifting for myself, but I won't pass judgement until I try a good bike with a sorted out DCT...

Up for a ride?

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill
post #15 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Sweet. Hope they make it work better on their R models than they do their EFI and their electo-hydrolic job they did on the FJR.

I would love to have a DCT on a sport bike. Man that would make focusing on curves alot easier. And this coming from a guy who has no slipper clutch or quick shifter on his race bike.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode