Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Riding to Hilton Head SC from Chicago

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jbanke1 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Summer is finally here, taking my 919 on a long ride from Chicago to Hilton Head in SC. Total it should be around 1800 miles round trip. Planning on camping most nights with the occasional motel stay.

A new set of Pilot Power 2ct's are being installed as we speak!

Has anyone here ever been to Hilton head? Any recommendations on routes to take or places to stop at?

We are most certainly going to the tail of the dragon/deals gap. Trying to see some more scenic and motorcycle friendly routes as opposed to just freeway riding.

Never been to Hilton Head either. Hope its not too commercial and we can still find a decent beach!

#3 ·
My buddy will be on his CBR600 and i'll be on my 919. I'm bringing my Givi top box which'll likely be very full as well as my tank bag. I believe the Givi is a 380 model. Not sure if it'll affect the handling of the bike. It'll be the first time using the top box.

#5 ·
Can anyone recommend places to camp, stop, must ride roads, or things we shouldn't miss? I've never been to the east coast before, let alone Hilton head island. Really excited about the trip!

Hoping its not just all freeway riding. Tail of the dragon will be incredible!

#6 ·
Unless you are hell bent on going to the beach @ HHI, I would spend my time enjoying the roads and scenery of SE Ohio, the Mountains of WV, Smokey Mts. in NC & Ga., etc.

The Dragon is OK. Try hit it on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Back of the Dragon(Rt 16) from Marion to Tazwell and many others can be just as rewarding and a lot less crowded.

Looking for a respite on the way home when you ass looks like chewed bubblegum? Try the Jefferson Pools in Warm Springs, Va. A one hour soak in the hot springs will be refreshing and don't forget to ask for the "hydro massage" at the end.

Watch the gravel which gets kicked up on right hand turns from vehicles that can't stay on the pavement, the wildlife (especially in the mountains after dark), and never try to outrun a local truck(pickup or 18 wheeler) in the mountains; for they know the roads better than you.

Good luck and ride safe!

#9 ·
I keep telling people to check out furkot.com. you can check out other motorcyclists routes or scenic byways and such on there. all along your route. I've just got experience with WV/VA so the things I mention might be a bit North East for you. Especially if you want to get to Deals Gap, you might be better of with a constant southeastern bearing.

I went to Jefferson Pools too, after a rough night camping at the very humid (free) Mclintic Point Primitive Campground, it was very welcome. Somewhere by Bolar Campground there is supposed to be showers but we showed up late and due to lack of cell reception had no reservation and couldn't find the showers. This was july 4th weekend so the whole place was booked. luckily right down the road is Mclintic which was pretty vacant, but it was very muggy and lots of bugs due to tall grass. It wasn't bad for a free place to crash after a late arrival, but it was hot. The Jefferson pools is a short ride away.

The Natural bridge is really cool.. it's stupid expensive to go see it, like $20 i think, but when your standing below several thousand tons of rock suspended in the air, it's a pretty wild feeling. The pink Cadillac is a diner not far away that was cheap and good (shares parking lot with a $50/night budget inn).

The Green Bank Telescope is pretty cool. So is the view from the top of Snowshoe Mountain nearby. No Cell service for miles around and that's relatively true for most of WV, so keep that in mind.

I've heard the New River Gorge bridge is really cool, haven't made it there yet, but that area is supposed to be reallly nice.

Hit up a portion of the blue ridge parkway, be advised most sections of it are pretty darn far from the highways, so it can take a much longer to get there than looking at the map and thinking "oh it's right over there" would indicate.. so can be getting anywhere once you want to get off the BRP. We stayed at the Lynchburg NW /Blue Ridge Parkway KOA, the rates were very reasonable compared to some other places, the management was really nice, they have pavillion and cabins to escape rain and really nice showers/bathrooms. We were in the pine tree area above the lake and it torrentially downpoured one night, being on the hill was a good call from management, or the tent would have been flooded, instead it just turned into a water bed, but that was some seriously bad/fast rain.

if you want to do the warm springs route 39 east of there was really nice pretty and twisty, but really it all is. There's some good places to eat in Lexington. Macado's sandwiches are awesome.

For WV, pick a curvy road, you won't be dissapointed, it can even be a state highway.

#11 ·
FANTASTIC information here guys! I cant tell you how much I appreciate it! Using furkot.com as we speak.

Really good feedback about Hilton Head. Thank you for that! Also, the route info/stops/restaurants is spot on. Keep them coming! We are adjusting our route as the feedback comes.

Things like this are what keeps me coming back time and time again!

Please, keep the suggestions/routes coming! Trying to take in as much as we can in the 6 day ride. Where to spend the nights is something we're still figuring out. Our plan is to camp as much as possible. Granted, i'm sure we'll want to stop and shower at some point =) Cant imagine we'd smell too great.

Someone at work mentioned tropical storms/hurricanes. Should I be that concerned? I've ridden in the rain plenty of times, but tropical storms and hurricanes nope.

Thanks again, please keep the feedback coming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.