Rider shoots aggressive van passenger - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Rider shoots aggressive van passenger

This incident happened about 20 minutes from me. I ride through this intersection frequently.

Here's a link to a news article that has something I have never seen before - witness statements from the bike's passenger, the driver of the van, and a security guard who witnessed most of the altercation. http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1692162.shtml?cat=566 News 10NBC talks to driver in road rage shooting Links to the statements are at the bottom of the article.

I saw the TV interviews a few nights ago, van driver claiming complete innocence, but the witness statement from an uninvolved 3rd party sure makes it sound like self defense. The rider had a permit for the gun.

Rider trying to alert police, rider pulled to curb, rider approached by van after pulling over, rider knocked off of bike by a punch in the face, rider retreating by backing up on to the sidewalk, while being pursued by aggressive assailant who walked around the bike and took another swing. Looks like the wrong guy is in jail from what I see.

Am I imagining it or are drivers getting more aggressive toward bikers? Or maybe it's just worse in congested areas when the hot weather is getting to people. I think of a ride last Fall where a firemen intentionally swerved into my lane while I was passing him, another local rider had a similar altercation with an SUV recently and kicked the SUV. SUV driver called the cops and the cops sided with the rider, but no tickets were written.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I do feel that with some of the events recently the aggression toward riders is getting dangerous and to the point of them causing harm for no other reason than you are on a bike.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2010, 06:46 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I've never understood the issues between cars and bikes. When I didn't have a bike, I would let them be, didn't care if they buzzed me at 20 or 30 over, and just thought about how great it would be to have a bike and be out riding. Now that I own a bike and commute on it (read as I ride in traffic often) it feels like all the cars are out to kill you. Granted that many of the drivers are just drifting because they are not paying attention, not actually TRYING to kill you, but it does have that feeling.

You guys know how it is on a bike. You try to stay away from cars/trucks because they have large blind spots, you and the bike combined might weigh 700 pounds, but that's nothing compared to the 4,000 SUV driven by someone eating a bowl of cereal next to you. You are on a nimble machine that is easily maneuverable. I don't weave or split traffic, but if I see a hole that will get me away from the cars, I take it. Apparently that ticks off cagers like crazy because they honk at me a lot.

I won't be packing a gun on the bike, but I'll leave my helmet on so they can't give me a black eye.

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Funny how 3 different statements come up with three different stories. I think the only thing that was the same was the bike was in the right most lane and the van was to the left of it and someone got shot. You can't get a straight story from anyone. Van driver never mentions how the bike got knocked over even though he says he got out before the shot. Witness says driver didn't get out before the shot but doesn't mention when girlfriend got off, also says rider laid bike down after punch, but girlfriend says passenger knocked bike over. I will say that witness and girlfriend match up a lot better than the driver does.

This is EXACTLY why I wouldn't give 2 rat turds for anything the so-called "eye witnesses" say about the WA Trooper who wrecked while chasing sport bikers in the story I posted last week. Everyone sees the same shit but everyone remembers it differently.

I hope the police find some ATM cameras or something to clear up what really happened with this shooting.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode