Rider killed - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Rider killed

I don't know about other areas, but, the Monroe area seems to have a VERY HIGH amount of cars killing bikers. This happened two days ago. If you can pick it up read the comments at the end about this girls driving record. Then got a $1,000 bond?????? Of course I'm the Cycler who ran my mouth.
The left turn into the rider and dead on impact, then girl took off and ran!

Oh, I don't remember anyone serving any time, plus there have been about 10 killed on bicycles, with no time.

You can't stand your mother-in-law? Bring her to Monroe,LA and put her on a bike!

Police release name of motorcyclist killed in hit and run wreck | The News Star | thenewsstar.com

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
The Cripple

sad..... prayers and thoughts are with the family who suffered a great loss.

post #3 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Gets censored

Damn, Im not one for hanging someone for a legit mistake even if it is tragic. But she ran, that shows complete disregaurd for life. Or maybe she was just scared shitless and reacted poorly, glad Im not on the jury for that one no winners here.

Agreed, sad.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
sad..... prayers and thoughts are with the family who suffered a great loss.
+1

post #5 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Hit & run - $500 bond
Driving with a suspend license - $300 bond
Improper turn - $250 bond
$1050 total
2 prior DWI
Ashley Simon, 20 years old and has already killed someone

How about negligent homicide?

post #6 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Gets censored

2 DUI, Driving with a suspended, leaving the scene she needs to go away.

post #7 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Discen

2 DWI before the legal age, AND fleeing the scene? absolutely no mercy should be given to this worthless piece of smegma; nothing can bring the deceased back, but a clear message needs to be sent

03 919
06 DR650, GSXR exhaust mods, etc, etc.

adventure is where you find it...
post #8 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Milites Gregarius

Damn left turns! I always perk up whenever there's an oncoming traffic with cars waiting to turn left on me. I am tellin' ya, they are out to get us, all of them!

oh, and rest in peace.

post #9 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

RIP fallen rider.

post #10 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Someone needs to build a site dedicated to outing these bastards. It should be like those sexual predator tracking sites.

Who is with me?

I'll buy the domain and host the site in my data center. I just need someone to commit some time to helping me build it. I'm a plumber not a sculpter if you know what I mean.

post #11 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Gets censored

Now thats a good idea! I have no experience building a page though.

post #12 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Discen

UGHhhhh , i always hate hearing news like this (RIP) , reminds me of an incident near by that made the headlines last year (ridden through that intersection and Memorial many times)
Woman allegedly painting nails while driving, kills motorcyclist

post #13 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

If Ashley Simon did the things the linked newspaper article states she did, she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, identical to the penalty we assume a biker would receive if he rode up onto the sidewalk, killed a cute little kid at her lemonade stand, and then fled the scene.

Here are some motorcycle accident stats I found on a law firm's website:

2008 National Statistics

In 2008, 5,290 bikers were killed an increase of 2% from 2007.

59% of the bikers killed in 2008 were not wearing helmets.

Of the motorcycle operators killed in 2008, 30% had a BAC of .08 or higher.

There were 96,000 bikers injured during 2008.

In 2008, motorcycle riders accounted for 14% of total traffic fatalities, 17% of all occupant fatalities, and 4% of all occupants injured.

35% of all bikers involved in fatal crashes in 2008 were speeding.

In 2008, 2,554 (47%) of all motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with another type of moving vehicle.

Per vehicle mile traveled, bikers are about 37 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash and 9 times more likely to be injured.

In 2008, 25% of the motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with fixed objects, compared to 19% for cars, 14% for light trucks, and 4% for heavy trucks.

One out of four motorcycle riders in fatal crashes in 2008 were riding their vehicles with an invalid license.

Helmets are estimated to be 37% effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcycle riders and 41% for motorcycle passengers.

During 2008, 346 young motorcycle riders (age 15-20) were killed and an additional 8,000 were injured.

35% of the bikers between 15 and 20 who were fatally injured in crashes in 2008 were not wearing helmets.

Of the young motorcycle operators (ages 15-20) involved in fatal crashes in 2008, more than one-third (43%) were either unlicensed or driving with an invalid license.

In 2008, 26% of the young male motorcycle operators involved in fatal crashes had been drinking at the time of the crash, compared with 13% of the young female operators involved in fatal crashes.

Motorcyclist fatalities reached 5,290 in 2008, accounting for 14% of total crash fatalities.

This is the 11th consecutive year that there has been an increase in motorcycle crash deaths.

The number of individuals injured in motorcycle crashes has decreased for the first time since 1998, declining 6.8%.

It works out to about 100 dead motorcyclists a week, a huge number. I think to significantly reduce that number we have to address contributing factors in both the automobile and motorcycle operator populations.

Being mindful that almost always it is the car operator that does the killing and the motorcycle rider who does the dying in collisions, the Ashleys of the world need to be better trained, more carefully licensed, and subject to greater legal and financial consequences of proven contribution to injury and death imposed by them on others equally deserving use of the public roads.

The motorcycling community represents a large pool of potential victims for the Ashleys of the nation, who seem to wander along our streets all day long looking for just the perfectly wrong place to ignore turn signals and jerk their steering wheel hard left across oncoming traffic. Collectively, motorcycle riders could also benefit from better training, licensing enforcement, use of available safety equipment every ride, and individual commitment to riding sober.

Maybe by addressing both ends of the car driver/motorcycle rider dance of death more aggressively we can save the lives of some fellow riders and save the Ashleys from themselves, too.

post #14 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangster View Post
UGHhhhh , i always hate hearing news like this (RIP) , reminds me of an incident near by that made the headlines last year (ridden through that intersection and Memorial many times)
Woman allegedly painting nails while driving, kills motorcyclist
The bike that this victim was riding was on display at the MC show in Chicago....

I didn't linger.

post #15 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Milites Gregarius

It seems like whenever a biker is killed we somehow get treated as expendable units...never understood that shit. They should OUTLAW texting and cell phone useage in cars PERIOD. That's usually the cause of these types of accidents. The cager will almost always say, I didn't see him, only to find out they were talking or texting. I realize this case was different but still...it pisses me off when a biker gets killed over somebody elses f'ing stupidity or wanton carelessness. That's how my firefighter brother inlaw was killed on the job...some asshat not paying attention while driving (in broad daylight) drifted into my brother inlaws lane head on. That dumbass at least killed himself too. This planet is one big retard factory.

post #16 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Need money for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastrex View Post
This planet is one big retard factory.
I definitely agree with you. The more I deal with people, the more I believe that at least 90% of people need help to make daily decisions.

post #17 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastrex View Post
It seems like whenever a biker is killed we somehow get treated as expendable units...never understood that shit. They should OUTLAW texting and cell phone useage in cars PERIOD. That's usually the cause of these types of accidents. The cager will almost always say, I didn't see him, only to find out they were talking or texting. I realize this case was different but still...it pisses me off when a biker gets killed over somebody elses f'ing stupidity or wanton carelessness. That's how my firefighter brother inlaw was killed on the job...some asshat not paying attention while driving (in broad daylight) drifted into my brother inlaws lane head on. That dumbass at least killed himself too. This planet is one big retard factory.
I always thought that phone companies should install GPS units into every phone and automatically render it useless if detected moving more than 5 MPH while in use ....Texting is really getting retarded now a days .

post #18 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Gets censored

"59% of the bikers killed in 2008 were not wearing helmets.

Of the motorcycle operators killed in 2008, 30% had a BAC of .08 or higher."

not sure about you guys but this really speaks to me, Im guilty but I dont wanna die. lid is going on drink is getting passed.

post #19 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

1) RIP , rider

2) 2 DUI's !? WTF!?

3) Breast feeding? Really?

post #20 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 PM
no max no more

id take my chances with the drunk drivers,like in the good old days....cellphones have to be 100 times worse...besides all the drunks just crash into the state police....motorcycles are the ultimate drug

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #21 of 24 Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Still no results of toxacoligy tests. We in Monroe Area are letting DA know we don't want this swept under the rug like her previous offenses.
But, you know how devious their mind works sometimes. " Hey girl, gimma the name of your dealer and we'll give you a break!"
Some guys who know Ashley said she probably ran home to clean out her stash and then called the cops.

[
post #22 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Up-Date, three cheers

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Charges upgraded in fatal hit-and-run | The News Star | thenewsstar.com

Read the posts, also, Dickey (Cycler)

http://opso.gslews.net/

they just arrested her. She's Ashley Simons, look at her past record!

[
post #23 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If Ashley Simon did the things the linked newspaper article states she did, she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, identical to the penalty we assume a biker would receive if he rode up onto the sidewalk, killed a cute little kid at her lemonade stand, and then fled the scene.

Here are some motorcycle accident stats I found on a law firm's website:

2008 National Statistics

In 2008, 5,290 bikers were killed an increase of 2% from 2007.

59% of the bikers killed in 2008 were not wearing helmets.

Of the motorcycle operators killed in 2008, 30% had a BAC of .08 or higher.

There were 96,000 bikers injured during 2008.

In 2008, motorcycle riders accounted for 14% of total traffic fatalities, 17% of all occupant fatalities, and 4% of all occupants injured.

35% of all bikers involved in fatal crashes in 2008 were speeding.

In 2008, 2,554 (47%) of all motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with another type of moving vehicle.

Per vehicle mile traveled, bikers are about 37 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash and 9 times more likely to be injured.

In 2008, 25% of the motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with fixed objects, compared to 19% for cars, 14% for light trucks, and 4% for heavy trucks.

One out of four motorcycle riders in fatal crashes in 2008 were riding their vehicles with an invalid license.

Helmets are estimated to be 37% effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcycle riders and 41% for motorcycle passengers.

During 2008, 346 young motorcycle riders (age 15-20) were killed and an additional 8,000 were injured.

35% of the bikers between 15 and 20 who were fatally injured in crashes in 2008 were not wearing helmets.

Of the young motorcycle operators (ages 15-20) involved in fatal crashes in 2008, more than one-third (43%) were either unlicensed or driving with an invalid license.

In 2008, 26% of the young male motorcycle operators involved in fatal crashes had been drinking at the time of the crash, compared with 13% of the young female operators involved in fatal crashes.

Motorcyclist fatalities reached 5,290 in 2008, accounting for 14% of total crash fatalities.

This is the 11th consecutive year that there has been an increase in motorcycle crash deaths.

The number of individuals injured in motorcycle crashes has decreased for the first time since 1998, declining 6.8%.

It works out to about 100 dead motorcyclists a week, a huge number. I think to significantly reduce that number we have to address contributing factors in both the automobile and motorcycle operator populations.

Being mindful that almost always it is the car operator that does the killing and the motorcycle rider who does the dying in collisions, the Ashleys of the world need to be better trained, more carefully licensed, and subject to greater legal and financial consequences of proven contribution to injury and death imposed by them on others equally deserving use of the public roads.

The motorcycling community represents a large pool of potential victims for the Ashleys of the nation, who seem to wander along our streets all day long looking for just the perfectly wrong place to ignore turn signals and jerk their steering wheel hard left across oncoming traffic. Collectively, motorcycle riders could also benefit from better training, licensing enforcement, use of available safety equipment every ride, and individual commitment to riding sober.

Maybe by addressing both ends of the car driver/motorcycle rider dance of death more aggressively we can save the lives of some fellow riders and save the Ashleys from themselves, too.

That's sobering. Not to point fingers, but I just wonder of all the drunk riders out there, how many are the cruiser vs. how many are sport riders. Not that sport riders don't have their share of inebriated nuttiness, I just want to see what the number say.

So we're going from injury to death. that's not good.

Lack of helmets and underskilled/ unlicensed riders, always a problem.

What has been the percent increase of overall amount of riders over the same period?

I also wonder, when a motorist looks up to see that billboard: WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES, then they look around and see none, what do they think then? I was "commuting" in from Long Island the other morning and in two hours saw 1 motorcycle. How can we expect them to see us if we're not there. I'm talking about profile by numbers here.

Of course, there's the factor that more riders most likely would mean more accidents injuries deaths,but I'm sure you see my point.

I feel sorry for this girl and at the same time I'm glad to hear she will see punishment. Will it get the message to other unsafe drivers? Who knows.

post #24 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Sweet, so that chick is all locked-up now, huh.

I don't get the drink-and-ride shit, I ride hard everywhere - it'd blow nuts to be faded while doing so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode