Raising my bars on my GSXR - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Raising my bars on my GSXR

(yes Mike I am throwing it to the masses as well)

I rode my GSXR today for about a 3 hour trip with only 2 stops.. I was dying! Mike and I have chated about the Spiegler Bars...and I thank you for the info for sure..I am also looking into the Helibars..that give 1.5 inch raise and 5/8 pull back,, I can also get them at a good price.. SO

Does anyone have Exp with these Heli Bars and do you like them etc? friends with them? Love the GSXR but I need it more comfy...( I know it is a supersport bike) I know it can be done..

AND NO I AM NOT GOING TO GET A 919 ( just incase the wize cracks start coming)

I rode a Ducati HyperMoto today as well...Man that was fun!! that has "go to jail written all over it!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 04:47 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Heli Bars are aprox $300. That is a lot cheaper than the Speigler unit.

I hava 2 sets of Helis. The first set went on my 929 a couple of seasons ago. Kicked myself for waiting so long. Those were the "old style". I cut aprox 1/2 inch off both ends, redrilled. They're still an inch or so wider than stock. No biggie.

I bought a used 600RR off of EBay this fall. An hour or 2 after I won the auction, I was on the phone ordering another set. Again, I really like em on the 6. The set on the 6 is one piece CNC machined aluminum. No one will ever know they're not stock. They look as good or better than the Honda parts. They fit perfect.

I don't know which Gixer you have, or the type of riding you do, but for me, after the HeliBars, A CBR is nearly the perfect sport/street bike.

I have a 919 with aftermarket bars that are 2" lower than stock, and there are still times that they're a little too hi.

It's a lot easier th make a sportbike more comfortable than what it is to take a comfy bike into a sportbike.

post #3 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I have ridden two bikes with Heli bars and i felt both were great for street riding. Never ridden with them at a true high pace, but certainly spirited.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06

post #4 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the input that helps me alot!! I can get them pretty cheap also...I do high spirited riding and I want to do some track days..which I doubt the Bars will cause any issues..I really love th ebike and I cant give it up so I do need to make her more comfy..wish I did this when it was in the shop and had State Farm pay for it!!

post #5 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Di"zx"en

www.convertibars.com Hands down the best bar riser solution. Customer service is outstanding too.

post #6 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Yea I looked at those...I am just not sold on the look and I don't need all those adjustments...I need just that bit extra raise that would take some stress off my wrists and lower back..I am pretty sure I am going to get the Helibars..Just waiting for some emails back from them about fit for an 07...but we will see what happens..maybe the Mrs will get them for me for Christmas!!

post #7 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think once you have your HeliBars put on, you're going to forget all about ever lowering them again. Track days? No problem.

If you want to go one step further, WildHair as a kit for lowering the pegs an inch or so. I think I'll check that out soon.

I really can't figure out why manufacturers put the bars so low and the pegs so high in the first place. I'll bet 95% of these bikes never get into a sanctioned race. If it did, racers can change what they need to.

BTW, what Gixer do you have?

post #8 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

SNipe I have an 07 GSXR1000.. I have the Gilles Rearsets and they are good where I have them, it is just the bars I need to fix...I dont think my buddy can get them cheaper so I might have to do some inter searching for them to see if I can get a good deal on them...I think Kneedraggers deals with them..I have bought alot of stufff from them...so who knows...Wonder if RC90 can get them?

RC90 you around? You have a line on these Heli bars?

post #9 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Classic dilemma, want the sport bike ride without long ride back aches. The problem with lifting the bars, and stance on a sport bike is its built-in windscreen venturis air pressure into what's exposed. I noticed this even on the 9r, thus why I went naked and never looked back. Plus the wind feedback keeps me from speeding.

post #10 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Dream I am 6ft 245lbs powerlifter...windscreen or not mate I am like a brick being thrown into the wind no matter how you look at it...and at high speeds I m like a sail, I just get al the wind...I like some of the naked bikes but I cant give my 170 hp Busa Eater...so I think Helibars it will be...maybe order them tonight...

post #11 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papapump51 View Post
Dream I am 6ft 245lbs powerlifter...windscreen or not mate I am like a brick being thrown into the wind no matter how you look at it...and at high speeds I m like a sail, I just get al the wind...I like some of the naked bikes but I cant give my 170 hp Busa Eater...so I think Helibars it will be...maybe order them tonight...
Sounds good! I was a bobble-head with a mid size screen, and a large one made the bike unstable in cross-winds. I nearly bought a SV1K with Helis in mind to save back/arms. Don't eat too many busas.

post #12 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

guess these will be the first items on my bikes ever that I have to pay MSRP on LOL....no good deals anywhere...Might was well get them from the manufacturer...The email they sent me was really nice, I grilled them with alot of questions...

post #13 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Gilles, Harris, and a few other's offer raised clip-ons too.

post #14 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Heli Bars are aprox $300. That is a lot cheaper than the Speigler unit.

I hava 2 sets of Helis. The first set went on my 929 a couple of seasons ago. Kicked myself for waiting so long. Those were the "old style". I cut aprox 1/2 inch off both ends, redrilled. They're still an inch or so wider than stock. No biggie.

I bought a used 600RR off of EBay this fall. An hour or 2 after I won the auction, I was on the phone ordering another set. Again, I really like em on the 6. The set on the 6 is one piece CNC machined aluminum. No one will ever know they're not stock. They look as good or better than the Honda parts. They fit perfect.

I don't know which Gixer you have, or the type of riding you do, but for me, after the HeliBars, A CBR is nearly the perfect sport/street bike.

I have a 919 with aftermarket bars that are 2" lower than stock, and there are still times that they're a little too hi.

It's a lot easier th make a sportbike more comfortable than what it is to take a comfy bike into a sportbike.
Clearly you're talking about pre 2003 CBRs.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papapump51 View Post
SNipe I have an 07 GSXR1000.. I have the Gilles Rearsets and they are good where I have them, it is just the bars I need to fix...I dont think my buddy can get them cheaper so I might have to do some inter searching for them to see if I can get a good deal on them...I think Kneedraggers deals with them..I have bought alot of stufff from them...so who knows...Wonder if RC90 can get them?

RC90 you around? You have a line on these Heli bars?
I will never deal with Kneedrageers after my last experience.
If you have a problem with merhandise, they tell you to deal with the manufacturer directly.

It is in the buyers agreement - so it is not sneaky, it is just bad business.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #16 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Stg.com is having a clearance sale.
50mm valter moto clip ons with 10mm rise are one of the items on sale.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #17 of 22 Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

yup, not too many 929s made after `01.

post #18 of 22 Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

well ordered the Heli bars on Tuesday they should be here on Fri for Sat install.. got a good deal found out my boy is a dealer...and read some info on other boards and people rave about them...so we will see ... I will keep you all posted on how it goes

post #19 of 22 Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Papa, you may not notice that much of a diference when you first put them on. However, after you ride your GSXR for a while, then get on an identical bike with out the Helis, the difference becomes much more noticeable. Your Gixer isn't going to be transformed into a `Wing, or even an Interceptor, more like an F4I, which is a good thing.

You gunna put them on yourself? Not that hard. good time to put SS brake lines on.

Be sure and report back after a ride with the new "bars".

post #20 of 22 Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Oh I know snipe that I am not going to have the lounge effect that I had on my VStar LOL... I just need that little extra boost, So I am pretty sure that the 1.5 raise and 5/8 towards me should be good enough, I am sure I will feel the diffrence when my back is not killing me and my wrists do not feel liek someone is sawing them with a saw

post #21 of 22 Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

OK well Finally the Helibars are supose to be here on Friday and put on Sat. they had them sitting there and did not send because at the shop we do COD...well they said fine but since we didnt have our bars a week later we called them and they said your bars are sitting here because we dont do COD anymore.... UMMM dont you think you could have called us or let us know that the hell was going on??? But hopefully Sat will be it..

post #22 of 22 Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Just in time for a Christmas ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode