Quick tip for those that ride a lot. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quick tip for those that ride a lot.

I had a trial today and wanted to wear something other than the motorcycle outfit.

A few years back, I got a fixed length cable and a lock. I keep them under the seat.

I take the cable and run it true the forks between the tree mounts thru the helmet, thru one arm of the jacket and one leg of the pants and lock it. The jacket and pants go up over the tank.

I did the "pants over pants" and walked in with only my tank bag. Everything else was secured to the bike.

Your MC pants need to be a bit bigger and you need to make sure the jacket doesn't rest on the exhaust, but otherwise, you can pretty much walk around like normal.

It's not as nice as locking storage, but it's dirt cheap, maybe $10~$20 and you just keep it under the seat. It can also be run thru the tire or a pole for securing the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Keep under the seat? I can't even keep a piece of paper under the seat. I just hate the idea of leaving gear, especially a helmet outside. God forbid it gets rained on and you come back to a helmet that smells like mold. Lockable storage is probably the best thing I've got for my bike in terms of daily usability, next to heated gear.

post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Keep under the seat? I can't even keep a piece of paper under the seat. I just hate the idea of leaving gear, especially a helmet outside. God forbid it gets rained on and you come back to a helmet that smells like mold. Lockable storage is probably the best thing I've got for my bike in terms of daily usability, next to heated gear.
Same here.
It may not look “cool,” but I love this thing.

Originally got it as a seat back for my wife (along with an Air Hawk cushion it makes riding 100% more enjoyable/comfortable for her) and ended up using it for my daily commute.

I couldn’t imagine not having it now.
I am usually commuting early in the morning when it is dark out, so I put the reflective tape on it for extra visibility.

Easily removes from the mount with the push of a button when I want to ride without it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31E4C053-0862-491D-ADA8-2ADAC4FF8EA3_1538245234951.jpg (102.5 KB, 14 views)

post #4 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 04:42 PM
919 Rider

How much beer can you fit in that thing?

post #5 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 05:55 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
How much beer can you fit in that thing?
Now THAT is THE question of the day!

post #6 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Luggage is nice, but this was < $20. I keep it there with some rope, tie down net, winter mask and other things. Fits nice in the little pockets.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Tirone

Another option is a bag made for pack security in hostels. When I go to court, I have a suit under the armor, and, happily, covered and relatively secure parking. The jacket, gloves, and pants go in the bag, which is made of steel cable, which gets locked to the bike. I would never do this for street parking unless I really had to, but in parking garages or under a bike cover it does pretty well.

What I have is essentially this, and it does actually fit under the seat, though I don't carry it there.

The easiest option, IMHO, is to lock a jacket and maybe pants using the orange cable on a decent disc-lock doubled back, though again, kinda asking for things to get fucked with that way. I think if I was regularly going to places with only street parking, particularly in the city, I'd get more locking, on-bike storage. I'm a little spoiled by using garages that are literally across the street from court houses, and thus cops.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by draco880 View Post
Another option is a bag made for pack security in hostels. When I go to court, I have a suit under the armor, and, happily, covered and relatively secure parking. The jacket, gloves, and pants go in the bag, which is made of steel cable, which gets locked to the bike. I would never do this for street parking unless I really had to, but in parking garages or under a bike cover it does pretty well.

What I have is essentially this, and it does actually fit under the seat, though I don't carry it there.

The easiest option, IMHO, is to lock a jacket and maybe pants using the orange cable on a decent disc-lock doubled back, though again, kinda asking for things to get fucked with that way. I think if I was regularly going to places with only street parking, particularly in the city, I'd get more locking, on-bike storage. I'm a little spoiled by using garages that are literally across the street from court houses, and thus cops.
That really looks like a great option. I wonder if they make them finer mess. Looks like you could still get into things.

Gives me an idea for a cable backed mesh bike cover kind thing. You could leave your stuff in a full or partial cover that's cut proof because it has steel cables in it that are woven together. Kind alike knitting with thin steel cables.

I like it, good find.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Aquilifer

As I was riding with some friends yesterday I experienced what I have been waiting for to happen for a while now. The infamous breakdown on the side of the road. We were flummoxed at first but then I realized I had everything on the Vstrom we needed to get the repair done between the tools under the seat and in my tail box. Also had glass cleaner and microfiber towels for everyone to clean their windshields and visors on the helmets. Also had bottles of water a flashlight... It was a regular MacGuyver moment. The only heartbreak of the situation is that all three of the bikes on the ride where mine and the broken down bike was my poor Hawk, which I had just "repaired" a custom length clutch cable on. Oh well, it was fixed easily enough with some of those emergency cable barrels but I have to say I love having the tailbox on my Vstrom. I'm not sure I could want to have one on a 919 because it looks so ugly but it really is super nice having a place to store your helmet when you walk away, rain gear when you want to ride into the unknown, and all the other abilities having the tail box brings to the table.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #10 of 11 Old 10-08-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I saw some pretty neat fold down boxes and was wondering why nobody made them for bikes.

Basically a wire or plastic frame the folds flat and has mounts. You keep it on the bike and then fold it into place when needed.

The permanent solution I also like is a small tool box where the lic mounts. Basically, it's a box where you mount your lic plate.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Aquilifer

Probably because most guys like to keep their stuff secure and dry, also partly out of the sun in some cases, depending on what you have in the box.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode