Putoline chain lube. - Wrist Twisters
 35Likes

post #1 of 74 Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Putoline chain lube.

I've never tried this company's motorcycle oils before. The dealer I recently bought a Suzuki bike from swore by their products. He offered me some of their chain lube. By far the cleanest lube I have used. It goes on very thin like WD40, foams a little. Penetrates quickly even on a cold chain. It drys very fast, something evaporates out and then becomes very tacky. You only need a little on the rollers. Quick wipe and away you go. Very little fling off. This stuff is great. Especially on a dirt bike.
Suitable for O ring chains.
I'll definitely get more and maybe try their engine oils. To be honest I'd never heard of this company before. A Holland company that I think just make oils for bikes. They have a website www.putoline.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180705_125419-1_1530760375691.jpg (166.1 KB, 11 views)
mcromo44 and ewmin3m like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I wonder how well it holds up and how it cleans off. I've been thinking about spray can oil or "chain wax" I guess some are called.

post #3 of 74 Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Centurion

Garage
I always thought chain waxes to be well... a bit too waxy when applying, making it a pain to get a good layer of application.

This seams easier to apply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I wonder how well it holds up and how it cleans off. I've been thinking about spray can oil or "chain wax" I guess some are called.

post #4 of 74 Old 07-05-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
919 Rider

This stuff doesn't fling off, if you apply correctly. It starts out very thin but quickly dries to a very tacky film. You don't need much just a turn or two of the chain. Being so thin and slightly foamy it seems to spread across the rollers well, regardless of chain temp. Excess wipes off with a rag. Is easily removed with kero/diesel.
Best spray on lube I've tried.

post #5 of 74 Old 07-05-2018, 11:01 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

the last thing you want on an o-ring chain is a tacky substance that attracts dirt & debris. it's dust & tiny debris that work their way into the o-rings which are under pressure causing them to split and fail.
g00gl3it and Islandboy like this.

post #6 of 74 Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Oh bugger!

post #7 of 74 Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Oh bugger!
If my present hindsight of my experience with PJ1 Blue is of any relevance to the stuff you have changed over to, then:

If kero doesn't easily dissolve dirt infused buildup when the chain is cold, then you are using stuff you don't want to be using .........................
Particularly so with x rings as compared to o rings.
And not keeping the chain very clean all the time, is simply begging for ruining x rings in particular.

And having a big can of bad, is really bad if one is disinclined to bin what's left.

I'm still kicking myself over my doings, and denial was a good part of it.

Hopefully what you have turns out OK, after all, tacky is not high tack nor super tack.
The high and super tacks are simply extremely viscous type lubes, as compared to waxes or greases.
Islandboy likes this.

post #8 of 74 Old 07-06-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I'll give a little description of how this lube feels. If I squirt a little onto my thumb and index and let it dry I can rub it very easily, it's quite slippy. If I separate my fingers thats when it feels tacky and for up to an inch many "stretchy strings" of lube form. It's like it doesn't want to separate but sliding is easy.
Also when I say dry it doesn't really dry it just starts out very thin, like WD40 but then rapidly thickens. Once on the chain and "dry" it kinda has the feel of chainsaw bar oil.
Cleans up easily with diesel.
But if dirt is going to stick to it I won't use it, especially on my dirt bike. Where I live and ride its very fine sand mostly, decomposed granite, quartz. Not really riding much since the weather is crap. I will report back once I get back on the tracks.
I won't dismiss LDH comments, I'm glad he gave some input, he knows more about this stuff than me.
To be perfectly honest the only thing I've put on my chain that dirt doesn't really stick to has been WD40. It just doesn't feel right to be lubing a chain with it. Like it's too thin. But especially on my dirt bike I don't get anywhere the amount of sand stuck to the chain with WD40 like I do say with thick gear oil. I'm probably going to have to go through a mental readjustment, hard at my age!
Yes I also suffer from reluctancetobinitus!
mcromo44 likes this.

post #9 of 74 Old 07-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Left of Centre

Ken did some research on the effectiveness of WD40

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...ler-52514.html
Islandboy likes this.

post #10 of 74 Old 07-07-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Ken did some research on the effectiveness of WD40

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...ler-52514.html
Thanks Kiwi. That's a great write up. I especially like how well Ken's bike chain cleaned up. My mental readjustment is almost complete!
I'm going to give WD40 a long term trial on both my street and dirt bikes. I won't use a remote oiler just apply regularly.
Anyone want to buy a slightly used can of Putoline, less the 20% extra?

post #11 of 74 Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

LDH. If you don't mind could you please post a short description of your preferred chain cleaning and lubing method, using WD40. Also how often. Thanks mate.

post #12 of 74 Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

WD-40 is for cleaning which is 80% of chain maintenance. Spray it on a rag, rotate the rear wheel by hand and hold the rag against the chain just at the sprocket. If you don't have a rear stand or center stand to perform maintenance with then Fuck You.

Works great for a very short time as lube. Trackdays guys will be very happy. Touring riders not so much. You'll need a proper application of an actual lube if you want to cover more than a trackday's worth of miles which is rarely more than 200. For chain lube I prefer Repsol Chain lube. It is the only product Repsol makes that I actually like or endorse. Comes out of the can in a very fine atomized and controllable spray. Excess wipes off easily. The secret to applying any lube is being far enough from the chain to insure the propellant evaporates from the product before it gets stuck on the chain. Almost every aerosol propellant is caustic to EPDM rubber and guess what o-ring chains are made out of...
ewmin3m and Islandboy like this.

post #13 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I'll probably use the WD40 as the lube too. I'm only riding short distances, 200kms max. I'll give the chain a little squirt between rides and see how it goes.

post #14 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I'll probably use the WD40 as the lube too. I'm only riding short distances, 200kms max. I'll give the chain a little squirt between rides and see how it goes.
Just keep in mind that WD40 essentially has zero High Pressure lubricant capability.

post #15 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 05:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The thing that concerns me is mixing things up. If you clean the chain with WD-40 or other cleaner, you're NOT going to get it all off, then you apply your oil/wax whatever you use... what effect does the cleaner have on the lube?

There should be a cleaner and then a lube as a known set.

Generally, I just clean off as much of the old gear oil as I can, then apply so much that some flings off. I run it at speed on the stand and then wipe off the tires where it flings off.

post #16 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Will do mcromo. Suppose I'll only know its not working if the chain begins to stretch.
Karl, I'm pretty sure I've seen WD40 has a chain lube in a spray can. Wonder what it's like?

post #17 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Discen

Quote:
Will do mcromo. Suppose I'll only know its not working if the chain begins to stretch.
Karl, I'm pretty sure I've seen WD40 has a chain lube in a spray can. Wonder what it's like?
They do have one for bicycles, might be OK.
Now that you have started this, I'm amazed at just many chain lubricants are on the market, it would take several lifetimes to try them all.
My local shop recommended BelRay, not that that means anything, it's just what they sell.

post #18 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Too many.
All I want is something that doesn't fling off all over the place and dirt doesn't stick too.
Diablo likes this.

post #19 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 08:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The flinging off is what scares me. You get into a Left turn lean and that oil slips the tire out from under you.

I've had fork oil on the front brakes, chain oil on the rear tire...

I think those auto oilers have had pretty good luck, don't they just use gear oil?

What's wrong with good old 80 wt gear oil?
Islandboy likes this.

post #20 of 74 Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Discen

I've never tried gear oil, but the little owners book that comes with the bike recommends gear oil or chain lube.
The spray can chain lube is convenient for me.
Islandboy likes this.

post #21 of 74 Old 07-12-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I've used gear oil for years. It's good but it still flings off and dirt sticks to it. I also feel it doesn't penetrate well being so thick. Happy to try WD40 for a bit. If I don't like it I'll go back to the Putoline. I feel it starts out thin, penetrate and spreads well then it thickens right up. Although LDH's comments about solvents and O rings has me concerned.

post #22 of 74 Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post

What's wrong with good old 80 wt gear oil?

Absolutely nothing. It's just messy to apply, hard to clean up and requires very frequent reapplication. There are Pro level racebikes on the grid that still get a dose of it right before they go out on the track for every session or race. It's a great regimen if you have a guy that gets paid to do it constantly. Not so great for the rest of us that want to spend more time riding and less time doing maintenance.

post #23 of 74 Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Absolutely nothing. It's just messy to apply, hard to clean up and requires very frequent reapplication. There are Pro level racebikes on the grid that still get a dose of it right before they go out on the track for every session or race. It's a great regimen if you have a guy that gets paid to do it constantly. Not so great for the rest of us that want to spend more time riding and less time doing maintenance.
A gear oil for differentials is the stuff to use.
They have a very heavy E P formulation.
They also come in heavier grades than the classic 90.
A correct dose of that stuff makes perfect sense for the chain roller ODs and sprocket teeth for a race bike.
Islandboy likes this.

post #24 of 74 Old 07-13-2018, 04:48 AM
Tesserarius

Usually, just after I buy a used motorcycle, I spend several hours un-doing "mods", and cleaning. Cleaning usually entails, among other things, taking the front sprocket cover off. I've seen the sprocket cover so full of gook, that the chain is the only thing preventing more from being piled on. Then that nasty black goo weeps out, and gets flung backwards, and make an even bigger mess. I'll stick to WD-40 and John Deere All purpose Spray lube. If I have to replace the chain a little sooner, so be it.
Islandboy likes this.

post #25 of 74 Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Discen

A lot of the old ways no longer apply with O ring, and now X ring.
We only need to lubricate the rubber seals these days, and my worry with WD40 is that it's primarily a penetrating oil, and you wouldn't want it to penetrate past the O or X rings, where chains are prepacked with grease.
I've seen on youtube where an O ring was soaked in WD40 for months, with no damage whatsoever.
If it doesn't penetrate then it most likely could be a good choice.
Islandboy likes this.

post #26 of 74 Old 07-13-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

But if those O rings have been damaged due to dirt and crap that has stuck to your chain lube....
This is how I'm starting to look at it. In theory O ring chains have enough grease behind them to last the life of the chain. So really you only need a little lube on the outside to prevent corrosion and also lube exterior contact points with the sprockets, ie the roller outer surface and sprocket teeth. Now if your applying lube which then, A, you mostly wipe off. B, all gets flung off or C gets dirt stuck to it the what's the point?
WD40 seems thin enough that I don't think much crap will stick to it. And if it's applied regularly then it will lubricate. I'm quite fussy when it comes to chain cleaning and do it often. I've had a gut full of fling off and with crap sticking to my chain and crap sticking to all the fling off.
I'm open minded about trying WD40 for a good while, for cleaning the chain with and lubing. I'm fine with doing this on a regular basis since I only do short trips anyway.
I also like the idea of using the same product to clean on lube as well.
Got nothing to lose except for stretching my chain a bit. Using diesel for cleaning and gear oil for lube has worked but is messy and I feel I'm having to clean often anyway. I've had zero chain stretch with the previous regime so reckon I'll notice if the WD40 isn't working.

post #27 of 74 Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Discen

Quote:
But if those O rings have been damaged due to dirt and crap that has stuck to your chain lube....
This is how I'm starting to look at it. In theory O ring chains have enough grease behind them to last the life of the chain. So really you only need a little lube on the outside to prevent corrosion and also lube exterior contact points with the sprockets, ie the roller outer surface and sprocket teeth. Now if your applying lube which then, A, you mostly wipe off. B, all gets flung off or C gets dirt stuck to it the what's the point?
WD40 seems thin enough that I don't think much crap will stick to it. And if it's applied regularly then it will lubricate. I'm quite fussy when it comes to chain cleaning and do it often. I've had a gut full of fling off and with crap sticking to my chain and crap sticking to all the fling off.
I'm open minded about trying WD40 for a good while, for cleaning the chain with and lubing. I'm fine with doing this on a regular basis since I only do short trips anyway.
I also like the idea of using the same product to clean on lube as well.
Got nothing to lose except for stretching my chain a bit. Using diesel for cleaning and gear oil for lube has worked but is messy and I feel I'm having to clean often anyway. I've had zero chain stretch with the previous regime so reckon I'll notice if the WD40 isn't working.
I'm also open minded about this subject.
The Belray stuff I'm using is like a dry waxy substance, it's what the shop sold me when I bought the chain and sprockets.
After 3500 klm's it still looks clean, and there is absolutely no chain or sprocket noise at all, also no adjustment has been needed as yet.
I apply it after a ride every 300 klm's or so, but I have to hold some cardboard behind the chain or it goes every I don't want it to go.
Other than that, I'm clueless as to if it's good or not after such a short time.
I don't have enough years left to test too many, so am happy to hear others thoughts.
Islandboy likes this.

post #28 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 02:42 PM
Tirone

Garage
I wont use anything but Bel Ray super clean for chain lube. It never flings off and i get excellent life from my chain with it. My last set of chain and sprockets had somewhere around 30k miles before i had to replace them. When i clean i use wd-40, Wipe and blow off with air before reapplying lube.
Islandboy likes this.

post #29 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto77 View Post
I wont use anything but Bel Ray super clean for chain lube. It never flings off and i get excellent life from my chain with it. My last set of chain and sprockets had somewhere around 30k miles before i had to replace them. When i clean i use wd-40, Wipe and blow off with air before reapplying lube.
I've also been using the Bel-Ray Super Clean since I realized the PJ1 Blue I had been using was not the great thing I first thought it was.
I add that tidbit in, because I have to wonder if Bel-Ray Blue Tac would be just as bad.
I'll also note that the cans look very similar, Super Clean and Blue Tac that is.
Islandboy likes this.

post #30 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Doing a quick search I also see that Bel ray have two chain lube products. The super clean and the blue tac. What the difference? Other than colour.

post #31 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I've also been using the Bel-Ray Super Clean since I realized the PJ1 Blue I had been using was not the great thing I first thought it was.
I add that tidbit in, because I have to wonder if Bel-Ray Blue Tac would be just as bad.
I'll also note that the cans look very similar, Super Clean and Blue Tac that is.
Yeah i tried that blue tac one time when my local shop was out of the super clean and i didnt like it at all. Made a huge mess and i threw it away.

post #32 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Thanks for the input Moto. I just might get myself a can of that Bel ray super clean.
Mcromo, if you don't mind could you post your chain cleaning and lubing method?
Cheers mate.

post #33 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Discen

Yes, it's the Super Clean I'm using.
Glad to hear others like it.

post #34 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Yes, it's the Super Clean I'm using.
Glad to hear others like it.
Hey mate, how much are you paying for your Bel ray super clean? And where from?

post #35 of 74 Old 07-15-2018, 04:08 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Doing a quick search I also see that Bel ray have two chain lube products. The super clean and the blue tac. What the difference? Other than colour.
Blue Tac is a (very) High Viscosity lube designed in particular for race karts, where fling off is a big issue for many racers.

post #36 of 74 Old 07-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Discen

Quote:
Hey mate, how much are you paying for your Bel ray super clean? And where from?
It was $26.95 from the local TeamMoto bike shop,
I picked it up when I got new tyres, chain and sprocket after I bought the bike.

post #37 of 74 Old 07-17-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I'm going to get me some of that Bel ray super clean.

post #38 of 74 Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Discen

Ever since I started to use Dupont Teflon chain saver, my chain stopped to wear. I used to replace them every 20 000 km but now I'm at over 30 000 km on this one and it has barely stretched.

post #39 of 74 Old 07-18-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
Ever since I started to use Dupont Teflon chain saver, my chain stopped to wear. I used to replace them every 20 000 km but now I'm at over 30 000 km on this one and it has barely stretched.
A Google search brings up good reviews regarding the Dupont Teflon chain saver lube, there was another Dupont chain lube that was also highly regarded.
There seems to be two classes of lube out there. An oil based and a wax based. Generally speaking.

post #40 of 74 Old 07-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Discen

This thread had me thinking, why don't they teflon coat the chains where the O or X rings are.
But this Dupont Teflon spray does look good I must say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode