Pulling over now optional for motorcyclists??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Pulling over now optional for motorcyclists???

So check this out. I had just left for work Monday around 11AM. I was moving(at more than legal speed) on north on Bragg Boulevard in Fayetteville, NC. I get to the new contruction for the bypass they are building near Ft. Bragg. There just happens to be a plain jane Chebby Impala hanging out at the edge of the dirt "parking lot" and I says to myself 'no worries, just somebody waiting to pull out for their lunch break.' As I got closer I noticed something being pointed out the window. Turns out it was a cop shooting radar. As I went by, he pulled the radar gun back in the window. I knew I was had, so I just pulled over and waited. I had barely got my Zune out of my ears and he was already there. His first words were 'I appreciate you pulling over. You didn't have to, since you're on a motorcycle.' WTF does that mean? Is it standard practice for folks in the Fayetteville area to run? And where did he expect me to run to? He didn't even ask for my license, took my word that my driving record is good enough that I can actually afford insurance and told me to slow down for my safety. I consider it a good thing I didn't get ticketed for 74 in a 45. But seriously, I didn't even have to bother pulling over? All those Jimmy Gixxer's on their crotchety rockets must have put the local PD's in their place...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

That sounds very odd....first time Ive heard that!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 03:24 AM
Former 919er

Perhaps he was implying that he could not have caught you and they have a no chase policy? That's all I could think he meant.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

As a former resident at Bragg, I can tell you most of my friends that had motorcycles never pulled over for cops or MP's. What are you doing speeding on Bragg Boulevard? You should know by now that is one of the most patrolled roads both on and off post.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #5 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Cornicen

Persistant Traffic Offenders sometimes get lucky.

post #6 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I've gotten out of a ticket the same way before, passed the LEO, saw him turn on the lights and just pulled over. It was around a bend in the road, man did he have to lay on the brakes to stop behind me...

post #7 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
What are you doing speeding on Bragg Boulevard? You should know by now that is one of the most patrolled roads both on and off post.
Lately the patrols have been elsewhere on my way to and from work. Besides, the weather was great and the music was sweet (They Call Me the Breeze.)

RMB, that's what I've found to be the best policy for recieving lenience from the LEO's. Honesty helps. When you're just out cruising, no need to tell them your dog got hit by a car or some other bs and you're trying to get home. I just never thought the act of doing what I am legally obligated to do when I am caught doing something I am legally prohibited from doing would convince someone that the former makes the latter a moot point.

And yes, Bobby, we do!

post #8 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Milites Gregarius

Sometimes just being sort of old helps. I wear a short white goatee and am 64 years old. Last time I got stopped for doing 71 in a 45 the trouper pulled up and yelled out the window " slow down you old bastard" and went on his way. this was while riding my Cross country Vic. I might have been going a little faster had I been riding the 03 919 I just got ( took it for my first ride yesterday).

post #9 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktrash View Post
I might have been going a little faster had I been riding the 03 919 I just got ( took it for my first ride yesterday).
Yeah, 919s tend to have that affect on people. Just ask Bobby.

post #10 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktrash View Post
Sometimes just being sort of old helps. I wear a short white goatee and am 64 years old. Last time I got stopped for doing 71 in a 45 the trouper pulled up and yelled out the window " slow down you old bastard" and went on his way. this was while riding my Cross country Vic. I might have been going a little faster had I been riding the 03 919 I just got ( took it for my first ride yesterday).
In my case, I suspect that wearing a high visibility jacket and riding a bike that cops wouldn't consider a "crotch rocket" helps.

post #11 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
Persistant Traffic Offenders sometimes get lucky.
except you......

post #12 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Cornicen

OK knowing that the 919 needed to be back before 6 pm and I got stuck on mandatory overtime till 6 pm I would just have to kiss ass a little. Luck started out on my side because she had to class for continuing education for selling insurance so I took the 35 mile scenic route home.
Get home and gayrage the 919 then into the house. My 15 year old niece lives with us (we have custody) and as usual she is wanting a few dollars so she can go out with her friends. I tell her I would think about it and she asks what Aunt Shell would think about me riding the 919 since she has been around some of the butt chewins over the alleged abuse that I put her bike thru. Once again let me say I am the innocent guy and these are only allegations.
Oh yeah the kid got 10 bucks.

I have also pulled over when I knew I was tagged and the cop got out grinning and let me go - with a lecture of course.

Got caught out on the highway by oncoming radar on the other side and pulled over. He had trouble turning around but didn't see me until after he passed me and had to back down the shoulder to where I was. Said he could not believe I was not a runner and by then there were 3 cop cars so I knew I was going to jail. He wrote me for 90 in a 70 so I could pay it out of court then told me he locked in at 137.
I was slowing down on the 2001 ZRX1200.

It was also a $245 ticket but I did not go to jail with the bike on a hook!

post #13 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Cornicen

The best one has been me on the 14 chasing Shell down to get her to slow up and quit acting a fool on her 919 and the cop coming off the exit ramp only saw me.
I told him the truth about trying to get the wife to slow up on her new toy and he laffed about having crap for luck then told me to tell her he was going to pull every red bike over till he got to her.

He was laffing when he let me go and told me to tell her to slow down.

post #14 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Twice this year, I pulled over when I knew I was caught. One of the times the officer literally had to drive no more than 50ft on the shoulder of the freeway, both times I only got a discount on the ticket. Maybe because I'm in my mid-20s?? Both tickets the officer claimed it to have gotten me a neg... but both were written in 20-25 over.

Had both tickets dropped by a lawyer

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #15 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Optio

Truth works. Sometimes. My best was pulled over doing 80 or so in a 55 early on a Sunday morning. Stopped right away. Cop was visibly surprised that I wasn't a youngster. I figured I was busted for sure and no hope of talking my way out, so when he asked why I was going so fast, I told him I was on my way to my first track day. Was excited and thinking about that and not paying attention to my speed. Couldn't believe it when he gave me a warning. Must've been a rider himself. Only thing I can figure.

post #16 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Rich

Sometimes the motorcycle cops will give you a break. I've blasted through a speed trap (80+ in a 55mph zone), and the motorcycle cop put the radar gun down and waved.

post #17 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

Clear the crest in the road , quick pass around a mini-van , back into my lane.....kinda-sorta hit 3 digits makin the pass ,saw the oncomming Trooper, shut her down.As soon as he passed me I pulled over and waited, took off my helmet. Think he was ammused that it wasn't some kid. I'm 59.. Kinda smirked . Think it was the gray beard . Issued me an inspection ticket ......told me to behave

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #18 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

came around a tight corner right into a speed trap a few years back. Cop waved at me so I pulled over.

Cop: "What's the speed limit here?
me: "About 60"
Cop : "How fast were you going?"
me: "About 60"
Cop: "How fast do you want to go?"
me: "way over 60"
Cop: "How fast are you going to go?"
me "about 60"
Cop: "Carry on"

was a good day because after putting 6000km+ on my bike that summer, I still didn't have a bike license

post #19 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Hastatus Prior

haha wow dude that worked out. I'm from fayetteville, headed back that way for Thanksgiving.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #20 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Seem's that most of us here have gotten out of a ticket or two just by 'fessing up' and pulling over without needing to be told to do so or by just being honest. There's more I could tell, but I'm enjoying everyone elses stories. I hope that when I get old and gray I get the catch and release treatment like some of you fogeys.

post #21 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
hooligan on the 919

I'm rather young compared to some of yall (22) but at least in NC it helps a: having a valid M license, and b: stopping. I remember hearing something about them letting the cops have a free-for-all on runners in this state soon in no small part due to a massive number of bikes choosing to run instead of stopping. Last time i was stopped I had passed unmarked non-standard car with non-visible lights (i used to build those cars so i know where to look...) doing 15-20 over. He flicked the lights and when we pulled over after asking to see if i had a license (this was his main concern i guess) he gave me a lecture about not riding like a dumbass but in the end he gave me a verbal warning and thanked me for actually stopping. So to recap, have a legit license, pull over quick, and hope to god they used to ride too =P

post #22 of 22 Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Optio

Last ticket I got on a bike (GSXR-750). Pulled over after I'd gone maybe a 1/4 mile and saw the cop pulling out.

He acted like I'd just robbed a bank and killed a teller from the get go. Had a good record, insurance card and license available.

Comes back a few minutes later with a ticket for a 188.00 (58 in a 30). Asked him nicely why he couldn't have reduced it at all? His response "We (he was with someone) didn't think you were going to pull over".

My response "Next time I WON'T".

That was in Sioux Falls, SD and I had an acquaintance who was a cop there tell me they're not supposed to chase bikes at all because of the accident risks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode