protective gear comes thru once again! Another accident... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

protective gear comes thru once again! Another accident...

Walked away with minor injuries. Shoulder is swollen, but I think it'll be alright, I'm icing it down now and taking inflam pills.

Driver in front did a left turn as I was passing and didn't give a long enough signal.

More pissed that my GoPro clone was running but when I checked it, it stopped recording about 15 min prior. Still have 1 hour of space on the SD card and battery was still good, but it didn't catch the important part of the ride.

The new Shift knee/shin guards work awesome! Steel toe boots took a hit and no damage to my feet.

Side bag took a nice hit and ripped the straps, but I'll find a way to repair them.

Got the Shift knee/shin guards off Amazon for dirt cheap, < $30 IIRC. Had the leg, rear/hip guards on too, but wasn't an issue this time.

Here's the link to the knee/shin guards, I can say they REALLY did their job tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 03:04 AM
Left of Centre

Good to hear you are only a bit banged up...sounds like there was potential for it to be a lot worse.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 04:31 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Glad you are mostly OK. Rest and heal up.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 05:34 AM
919 Rider

They didn't see you. Happens too often.
Good to hear your not too banged up.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Just wondering who was at fault.

I was passing the car on a two lane city street where there's 1 lane each direction. In CA you're required to give 100 feet turn signal before turning. He didn't give 100 feet and clearly didn't check the side mirror before making a left turn. I was already in progress of passing when he made the quick left turn.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 08:20 AM
McTavish

Glad to hear that you are OK!

post #7 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Milites Gregarius

I had a similar situation that could have been a really bad one, a lot of broken bones or worse, death. Was at fairly high speeds.

Thank goodness for ABS and a great handling bike.

Two lane stretch of road in the middle of nowhere.
Passed a car with a work van up ahead of them, got back in my lane for a few seconds then back into the opposite lane to pass the van, was still at least several hundred feet back (or more) but clear visibility and I had just whacked the throttle.
Van decided at the last second to turn with no signal. I braked hard and swerved quickly back into the right lane and went around them on the right, just as they were covering up the opposing lane in their turn (they took the turn very fast, you could tell it was one of those almost missed the turn).
They may not have seen me/registered I was passing as I was moving it, so it would have been partially my fault (maybe legally could have pinned it on them but I was riding aggressively).

It was close, but the bike handled it so well/smoothly that it really didn’t scare me or get my heart rate up, even after I had a couple seconds to process.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

+1 for good gear. If you are like me you ask yourself "is it worth the price?" then things like this happen and the answer is easy. More so, it just reaffirms what we all should know by now. Put your damn gear on! It is easy, not hot, is necessary, and 'yes' you can still look like a cool Bad ass.
Wear it and YOU too can live to share your story.
Glad you are more then OK.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
I had a similar situation that could have been a really bad one, a lot of broken bones or worse, death. Was at fairly high speeds.

Thank goodness for ABS and a great handling bike.

Two lane stretch of road in the middle of nowhere.
Passed a car with a work van up ahead of them, got back in my lane for a few seconds then back into the opposite lane to pass the van, was still at least several hundred feet back (or more) but clear visibility and I had just whacked the throttle.
Van decided at the last second to turn with no signal. I braked hard and swerved quickly back into the right lane and went around them on the right, just as they were covering up the opposing lane in their turn (they took the turn very fast, you could tell it was one of those almost missed the turn).
They may not have seen me/registered I was passing as I was moving it, so it would have been partially my fault (maybe legally could have pinned it on them but I was riding aggressively).

It was close, but the bike handled it so well/smoothly that it really didnít scare me or get my heart rate up, even after I had a couple seconds to process.
This is very close to what happened. He signaled and turned pretty much the same time. If I has 1 more second of warning everything would have been fine.

I was able to ride away and my shoulder is being iced down and doesn't seem very bad, so I'm not going to make a deal out of it, but I think he should have signaled longer or looked in the mirror. I know he didn't give 100 feet of signal, that's 1/3 of a football field. He gave like 5 feet of signal, but I know that most don't even signal turns at all.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

What happened? Did you hit him as he turned?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #11 of 12 Old 07-03-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
What happened? Did you hit him as he turned?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I was in the process of passing him, he did one of those "signal and turn quick" things and I had no time to react. He came into the area where I was passing him and that's where we hit.

He was supposed to give 100 feet of turn signal before turning, but he didn't. He also didn't check the side mirror before turning left to see if someone was passing him.

I didn't think much damage was done, but ends up my fender is in three parts now, I'll have to epoxy it back together (no big deal).

My shoulder is still sore, but I'm icing it down and the swelling is going down. Expect it will be healed in a week or so.

I had my GoPro clone running at the time, but it didn't save it to the file. My guess is that it stores video internal, then writes it to the SD card and the accident happened before it writes it to the SD card.

Pisses me off that the camera didn't catch it because I know for a fact this guy hit the signal then turns right after or at the same time. 100 feet is 1/3 the length of a football field, there's no way he gave 100 feet of signal, but I can't really prove it because the damn camera didn't save it to file.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Tirone

FWIW, I'm a lawyer in Cali, and I would suggest lawyering up soon and hard if the dude sues you, or his insurance does. Litigating motorcycle stuff is tricky, and of course insurance companies are terrible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode