PRETTY COOL LITTLE 2 FIDDY - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer
 
PAULIBIKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Posts: 1,230
Rep Power: 1
 
PAULIBIKER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 PM
The chill Moderator
 
07919Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: COS:CO
Posts: 3,304
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Awesome! Now for the CB250. But really less hp than the Kawi??? And not as big of a tank???? Not sure if I would pick it as a daily commuter and leave the 919 for the fun weekend stuff.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
07919Dave is offline  
post #3 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
So they are basically bringing it back after 20 years, because Kawasaki is starting to kick their ass in market share.

20 year old CBR's in NZ and Oz are still "worth" rediculous amounts of money. It boggles the mind what some newbies will pay just to have a CBR.
Although I think since the release of the little Ninja, it has more or less managed to burst the overinflated prices of the ancient CBR's.

Farab is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Old, Bold rider
 
robtharalson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 2,430
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Hell no it wouldn't. Substance will always take a back seat to style and HP numbers, and while the Honda is probably a hot seller wherever there is tiered licensing, in the states with the freedom to bring a freshly minted motorcycle endorsement in your wallet, walk into a dealership, buy a ZX14, and ride it straight to an emergency room is guaranteed sales will be light at best. Take the plastic off it (and find someplace to put all the stuff that mounts to the fairing) and you couldn't give them away! Add to that the fact that for $500 less the 250 Ninja with a redline nearly twice as high as the Honda and everything else roughly equivalent to the Honda sales will be slow because the bike will be, well, slow. End of another marketing try.

There is a good 250 Honda naked, the VTR 250: Honda Motorcycles NZ - Road - VTR250. It has better power than the Kaw at considerably lower revs, weighs 20 pounds less, has a really Ducatiesque trellis frame, but costs $1300 more. Given it's better performance I'd be willing to bet it would sell better than the CBR 250 wheezer, but without all that plastic ... maybe not.

It's a bitch to be in a market that's a slave to the "Style is everything!!!!" mindset.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
robtharalson is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
i can only dream that they will bring the VTR250 to the states, imo the VTR250 is one sexy refined honda. I GUESS this is a step in the right direction.... but cmon honda, look at ALL the other big 4's bike line ups... MANY MANY more options than yours.

I would of liked to of seen a parallel or vtwin 250 over the single 250... but untill actual numbers come out ill hold my breath.


I just dont understand why honda would make a WHOLE new motor for this CBR250... when they coulda just grabbed the vtwin out of the VTR!!??!?! ... hell take the VTR and stick some fairings on it if you want to fit the stereotypical American cruiser / crotch rocket bikes!

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Hell no it wouldn't. Substance will always take a back seat to style and HP numbers, and while the Honda is probably a hot seller wherever there is tiered licensing, in the states with the freedom to bring a freshly minted motorcycle endorsement in your wallet, walk into a dealership, buy a ZX14, and ride it straight to an emergency room is guaranteed sales will be light at best. Take the plastic off it (and find someplace to put all the stuff that mounts to the fairing) and you couldn't give them away! Add to that the fact that for $500 less the 250 Ninja with a redline nearly twice as high as the Honda and everything else roughly equivalent to the Honda sales will be slow because the bike will be, well, slow. End of another marketing try.

There is a good 250 Honda naked, the VTR 250: Honda Motorcycles NZ - Road - VTR250. It has better power than the Kaw at considerably lower revs, weighs 20 pounds less, has a really Ducatiesque trellis frame, but costs $1300 more. Given it's better performance I'd be willing to bet it would sell better than the CBR 250 wheezer, but without all that plastic ... maybe not.

It's a bitch to be in a market that's a slave to the "Style is everything!!!!" mindset.

Rob
Agreed.

The little 250 VTR naked is really popular over here, but I would say that the #1 250 I see on the road here, is the Kawasaki.
The VTR was given FI and re-released a few months ago at approx NZ$1K more than the Ninja. A quick look at their website and it seems that they are now matching the Ninja's price. I guess people voting with their wallets gave Honda a wake up call.

Farab is offline  
post #7 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,622
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Nice! Wife wants to learn to ride. I told her "no way" on the 9'er, but this might be perfect!

We were looking at the midget-ninja, but didn't want to stray from Honda.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
voodooridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 4,617
Rep Power: 1
 
I like it, I wouldn't buy it, but I do like it.


Dan
voodooridr is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Agreed.

The little 250 VTR naked is really popular over here, but I would say that the #1 250 I see on the road here, is the Kawasaki.
The VTR was given FI and re-released a few months ago at approx NZ$1K more than the Ninja. A quick look at their website and it seems that they are now matching the Ninja's price. I guess people voting with their wallets gave Honda a wake up call.
yup.... the ninja 250 is also pretty popular here in the states, and its obvious that honda is trying to capture some of that market. I just wish honda would actually take a small risk and bring a cool naked to the states.... VTR250 CB1000R CB600F... any one of those im sure would sell quite well.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Nice! Wife wants to learn to ride. I told her "no way" on the 9'er, but this might be perfect!

We were looking at the midget-ninja, but didn't want to stray from Honda.
I don't mean to offend, but I can't understand loyalty to a brand. Should you not seek something that meets your requirements at a price that makes sense, rather than blindlingly want to stick to a particular brand?
I'm not having a personal dig at you, just a general observation.

Farab is offline  
post #11 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
I don't mean to offend, but I can't understand loyalty to a brand. Should you not seek something that meets your requirements at a price that makes sense, rather than blindlingly want to stick to a particular brand?
I'm not having a personal dig at you, just a general observation.
its that honda reliability....

IE... if wanted to buy a reliable car / truck... it would probably be a toyota.... most definitely not an american made car as sad as that is.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #12 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
its that honda reliability....

IE... if wanted to buy a reliable car / truck... it would probably be a toyota.... most definitely not an american made car as sad as that is.
The other 3 Jap brands have long since caught up. Both the Honda and Toyota reliability is overrated in terms of the other Japanese manufacturers and has gotten to a point where their premium pricing is no longer justified, IMO.

Farab is offline  
post #13 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Imaginifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 428
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I buy Honda because the dealership closest to me is Honda and the service guy is top notch.

As far as American cars go....check out the latest reliability study in Consumer Reports. 2 Fords as most reliable for two different market segments.

hoosier919 is offline  
post #14 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Cat Herder
 
FlyCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winchestertonfieldville
Posts: 1,788
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I buy Honda because my first Suzuki was very finicky as far as starting. My Nighthawk S was with me for 11 years and all I did was replace the fork seals. My CBR, never saw the inside of a shop for 7 years. My Roadstar Warrior? My only Yamaha was in the shop 3 times in the single year I owned it. Probably won't own another Yamaha. I had a Kawasaki enduro 100 when I was a teenager but I can't hold the POS against Kawi, the bike was a '74 and I got it in '86. It had seen better days.

As for this 250...neat bike, but I have absolutely no use for a beginner bike.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
FlyCatcher is offline  
post #15 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I buy Honda because my first Suzuki was very finicky as far as starting. My Nighthawk S was with me for 11 years and all I did was replace the fork seals. My CBR, never saw the inside of a shop for 7 years. My Roadstar Warrior? My only Yamaha was in the shop 3 times in the single year I owned it. Probably won't own another Yamaha. I had a Kawasaki enduro 100 when I was a teenager but I can't hold the POS against Kawi, the bike was a '74 and I got it in '86. It had seen better days.

As for this 250...neat bike, but I have absolutely no use for a beginner bike.
Fair enough. Its just my opinion, but as per my earlier posts, the other Japs have caught up, certainly as far as the last 2 generations go. Kawasaki had an awfull rep a while back, but lately, quality wise, if one suited my personal taste, I wouldn't hesitate buying one. Take the recent Zx10's as an example. They have an excellent reputation, well, I have yet to hear a "horror" story about one quality wise.

My Honda has been back to the workshop SEVERAL times for warrantee repairs and remedies...

Farab is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer
 
PAULIBIKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Posts: 1,230
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I buy Honda because my first Suzuki was very finicky as far as starting. My Nighthawk S was with me for 11 years and all I did was replace the fork seals. My CBR, never saw the inside of a shop for 7 years. My Roadstar Warrior? My only Yamaha was in the shop 3 times in the single year I owned it. Probably won't own another Yamaha. I had a Kawasaki enduro 100 when I was a teenager but I can't hold the POS against Kawi, the bike was a '74 and I got it in '86. It had seen better days.

As for this 250...neat bike, but I have absolutely no use for a beginner bike.
WOW............I can't imagine owning the same bike for 11 years.

I admit it...........I'm a bike whore.

Heck...........two years on a 919 is a lot for me, but it works and fits so well that I don't think I will trade it.

PAULIBIKER is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Brain stolen again?
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,359
Rep Power: 1
 
A single cylinder against that rev happy Ninja 250 motor. I wonder if Honda management works out of the fucking geriatric ward.

Not taking anything away from you paul, but the price is spaz and the powerplant is butthammered.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
Bigdaa is offline  
post #18 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
WOW............I can't imagine owning the same bike for 11 years.

I admit it...........I'm a bike whore.

Heck...........two years on a 919 is a lot for me, but it works and fits so well that I don't think I will trade it.
correction... your a bike pimp, as in you own / have owned alot of bikes, which are mostly all conveniently named a female name... and thus hoes

I under stand where ur comming from... out of the big 4 their reliability is pretty much the same.

As far as ford being the most reliable... untill you show me multiple ford trucks that have over 400k on them ill stick with my yotas.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right Here
Posts: 1,380
Rep Power: 1
 
Honda, at least you are now in the market after letting Kawasaki OWN it for the last 2 decades or so. Imagine if you could forgo the 3 year process of getting new models through the accounting & liability departments the impact you could have. We would be wowing over this little jewel instead of measuring how it still comes up short to the 2 year old Kawasaki. We would of bought the Fury back when we still watched all those chopper shows on TV. We would be talking about the new VFR 1200 without the conversation being about how ugly or heavy it is. But alas Big Red, I hardley know thee. The DN-01, NT700V, inflatable Goldwing, Rune, Rebel 250, Big Ruckus, CRF230L/M, & your decade old ATV lineup; you can actually crate these things up, add your "Honda premium" & keep a straight face? For shame. Where is the Honda that gave me the CR's of the 90s that no one could touch motor wise? The Honda that gave us the 88 Hurricane, RC45, RC30, 93 CBR900RR, the bullet proof & capable full XR line from 50cc to 650cc when there were hardley any other 4 strokes & if they did were a joke short of European exodics. While these XRs were a hit in, lets say 1988, the best you can do is put faux radiator shrouds on them & sell these same machines as CRFs in 2010? In 1982 I could buy a V-Four, liquid cooled, DOHC, 4 valve/cylinder, 4 downdraft carbed, shaft drive, hydraulic clutched cruiser in 500, 750, or 1100 versions & it was light enough to push accross the garage & small enough to fit though a standard door. I can't buy that in a cruiser today.

Sorry for the derail but it does not take much to pluck my Honda chord.

Bryce919er is offline  
post #20 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Honda, at least you are now in the market after letting Kawasaki OWN it for the last 2 decades or so. Imagine if you could forgo the 3 year process of getting new models through the accounting & liability departments the impact you could have. We would be wowing over this little jewel instead of measuring how it still comes up short to the 2 year old Kawasaki. We would of bought the Fury back when we still watched all those chopper shows on TV. We would be talking about the new VFR 1200 without the conversation being about how ugly or heavy it is. But alas Big Red, I hardley know thee. The DN-01, NT700V, inflatable Goldwing, Rune, Rebel 250, Big Ruckus, CRF230L/M, & your decade old ATV lineup; you can actually crate these things up, add your "Honda premium" & keep a straight face? For shame. Where is the Honda that gave me the CR's of the 90s that no one could touch motor wise? The Honda that gave us the 88 Hurricane, RC45, RC30, 93 CBR900RR, the bullet proof & capable full XR line from 50cc to 650cc when there were hardley any other 4 strokes & if they did were a joke short of European exodics. While these XRs were a hit in, lets say 1988, the best you can do is put faux radiator shrouds on them & sell these same machines as CRFs in 2010? In 1982 I could buy a V-Four, liquid cooled, DOHC, 4 valve/cylinder, 4 downdraft carbed, shaft drive, hydraulic clutched cruiser in 500, 750, or 1100 versions & it was light enough to push accross the garage & small enough to fit though a standard door. I can't buy that in a cruiser today.

Sorry for the derail but it does not take much to pluck my Honda chord.
couldn't of said it better myself. it seems as though honda has NO interest to be innovative in the US market

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #21 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
duc duc GOOSE!
 
HondaCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 946
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Nice! Wife wants to learn to ride. I told her "no way" on the 9'er, but this might be perfect!

We were looking at the midget-ninja, but didn't want to stray from Honda.
what he said! wife would like to learn but not til the kiddos are out, guess i can look at used in 18 years....

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
HondaCrazy is offline  
post #22 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Cat Herder
 
FlyCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winchestertonfieldville
Posts: 1,788
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Fair enough. Its just my opinion, but as per my earlier posts, the other Japs have caught up, certainly as far as the last 2 generations go. Kawasaki had an awfull rep a while back, but lately, quality wise, if one suited my personal taste, I wouldn't hesitate buying one. Take the recent Zx10's as an example. They have an excellent reputation, well, I have yet to hear a "horror" story about one quality wise.

My Honda has been back to the workshop SEVERAL times for warrantee repairs and remedies...
I wasn't trying to imply it was a reasonable action on my part. People just get weird about brands sometime. Right now, there is nothing that wows me so much that I have to get rid of my 9er. The S3 and Z1000...I just can't get by the looks. Hell the Z isn't even a naked anymore. If I could afford a Brutale, or Aprilia makes a naked RSV4 that I could afford, I might buy them. I would probably drift from Honda if there was something worth drifting to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
WOW............I can't imagine owning the same bike for 11 years.
Yeah, I just shake my head at how often some people go through bikes. I just don't know how they can afford it. I LOVED that Nighthawk. Never looked twice at another bike until the 99 CBR600F4 came along. God that thing turned my head. Kept her for 7 years until I realized I was hardly riding anymore because of how much it hurt. Bought the 9er and felt so good getting back on a standard. That's what they called them before "naked" became the new industry buzzword. Can't get enough. It's not the prettiest or fastest, but it's paid for and it suits me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
As far as ford being the most reliable... untill you show me multiple ford trucks that have over 400k on them ill stick with my yotas.
I looked at CR and although I don't have a membership anymore, the main page clearly states that Ford had higher reliability ratings than other domestics. It says right at the top that Honda and Yota still rule the roost. The word they use is Dominate. We traded my bulletproof Tacoma for a GMC Acadia for the growing family and it was in the shop within 6 months for a faulty thermostat. If they want to improve quality perceptions, they might start with that. I am pretty sure thermostats have been around for a few years and therefore shouldn't be failing.

Anyone here remember when the Ford Bronco's would spontaneously combust? Saw it happen right before my eyes. Damnedest thing I ever saw.


Car reliability, most reliable cars

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
FlyCatcher is offline  
post #23 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM
The chill Moderator
 
07919Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: COS:CO
Posts: 3,304
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Awesome! Now for the CB250. But really less hp than the Kawi??? And not as big of a tank???? Not sure if I would pick it as a daily commuter and leave the 919 for the fun weekend stuff.
I'm sorry but I was meaning the VTR250.

Honda doesn't pay any attention to anyone but themselves. They do not listen to anyone in their car market and now coming over to the motorcycle side of things it seems like they don't list to anyone of here too. Not sure who runs the motorcycle side of the house but on the car side Ito is only interested in Hybrids so much so that as soon and the economy hit he canceled every project in the works including a V8, a diesel i6 and i4, the revamp of the S2000 and the NSX, and recently he is trying to cancel out the Ridgeline and the Pilot. He even axed the F1 racing team. He canceled everything except his prized hybrids which have been a complete bomb for them. I think it might be time to take Ito out and bring some young blood in. Seems like Honda just doesn’t care. But this is a step in the right direction, it might be a baby step but it is still a step.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
07919Dave is offline  
post #24 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I'm sorry but I was meaning the VTR250.

Honda doesn't pay any attention to anyone but themselves. They do not listen to anyone in their car market and now coming over to the motorcycle side of things it seems like they don't list to anyone of here too. Not sure who runs the motorcycle side of the house but on the car side Ito is only interested in Hybrids so much so that as soon and the economy hit he canceled every project in the works including a V8, a diesel i6 and i4, the revamp of the S2000 and the NSX, and recently he is trying to cancel out the Ridgeline and the Pilot. He even axed the F1 racing team. He canceled everything except his prized hybrids which have been a complete bomb for them. I think it might be time to take Ito out and bring some young blood in. Seems like Honda just doesn’t care. But this is a step in the right direction, it might be a baby step but it is still a step.

honda does the same thing with their cars....

and GM's quality is the biggest crock o shit ever. My 01 2500HD 4x4 has had, window motor issues, bad knock sensors, bad o2 sensors, a full tranny rebuild, a bad fuel pump etc etc etc... all before the 100k mile mark... my dads 04 tacoma, nothing and it has over 150k miles.

What honda motorcycles need to realize is that there IS a market for such bikes like the CB1000R / VTR250, its just going to take a coupla years after the release of such bikes. So in essence without the bikes there can be no market... and because there is no market honda wont release said bikes... its a big perpetual circle.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #25 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
duc duc GOOSE!
 
HondaCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 946
Rep Power: 1
 
yeah seems i have 2 hondas that they have already canceled, the prelude and the 919 and i would like a ridgeline next!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
HondaCrazy is offline  
post #26 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 01:02 PM
The chill Moderator
 
07919Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: COS:CO
Posts: 3,304
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

i own an '07 Ridgeline (Funny my 919 is an '07 as well) and the claim is a new model in '12 but there is also talks about it being canceled right after that model year. Since its début in '05/'06, owners have screamed for more power, 258hp is not cutting it, and/or a diesel option. 5 years with only a slight revamp and not a single thing that every owner complains about was changed. And they are not being changed for the '12 model either.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
07919Dave is offline  
post #27 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Ballaholic
 
hornet919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 682
Rep Power: 1
 
mmm, id love to take that thing out on the track. and considering its a single and honda is the king of interchangeability, it wont be long before that thing ends up with a 400 or 450 single from a dirt bike

hornet919 is offline  
post #28 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
mmm, id love to take that thing out on the track. and considering its a single and honda is the king of interchangeability, it wont be long before that thing ends up with a 400 or 450 single from a dirt bike
pff... dont hold ur breath.... honda killed the XR400 motor and has no liquid cooled 400 motor... and a CRF450 motor on the street (would be fun as hell) but is completely impractical!

I really think honda should look at its heritage.... im pretty sure they had TONS of sweet parallel twins, and smaller inline 4s, what happened to the innovative honda that made oval pistons....

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #29 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right Here
Posts: 1,380
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
I really think honda should look at its heritage.... im pretty sure they had TONS of sweet parallel twins, and smaller inline 4s, what happened to the innovative honda that made oval pistons....
Like this 250 four...

2002 Honda Hornet 250 specifications and pictures

Or a 400 four...


Or a 650 twin..



Just look at those last 2 bikes & they are 20 years old! What in the hell have they been doing at Honda for the last 20 years?!?! I know---making Goldwings blow up like balloons, Civics run on 120V & these fine machines...





Bryce919er is offline  
post #30 of 40 Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
MY POINT EXACTLY..... a 250 inline 4! that thing musta revved to high haven!

I mean they have SO MANY other motor options out there and so many AMAZING motor options from the past and present... why the hell make a new motor that preforms like shit when you got the awesome vtwin 250 of the VTR250.... that would be SO at home in CBR250R....

but ya seems as though all honda has done in the past 20 yrs has made a 4 stroke race dirbike... thats bout it.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #31 of 40 Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Honda, ...stuff... Imagine if you could forgo the 3 year process of getting new models through the accounting & liability departments the impact you could have.

more stuff...

your decade old ATV lineup; you can actually crate these things up, add your "Honda premium" & keep a straight face? For shame. Where is the Honda that gave me the CR's of the 90s that no one could touch motor wise?

Sorry for the derail but it does not take much to pluck my Honda chord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I'm sorry but I was meaning the VTR250.

Honda doesn't pay any attention to anyone but themselves. They do not listen to anyone in their car market and now coming over to the motorcycle side of things it seems like they don't list to anyone of here too. Not sure who runs the motorcycle side of the house but on the car side Ito is only interested in Hybrids so much so that as soon and the economy hit he canceled every project in the works including a V8, a diesel i6 and i4, the revamp of the S2000 and the NSX, and recently he is trying to cancel out the Ridgeline and the Pilot. He even axed the F1 racing team. He canceled everything except his prized hybrids which have been a complete bomb for them. I think it might be time to take Ito out and bring some young blood in. Seems like Honda just doesn’t care. But this is a step in the right direction, it might be a baby step but it is still a step.
Its seems since Soichiro passed on, Honda has become a corporation in the purest sense of which their only concern is to sell a product at a now unjustified premium based on marketing of what they once were.
I can just imagine a boardroom full of arrogant accountant types shooting down and/or watering down excellent ideas from the R&D team.

I keep coming back to my Toyota analogy, as they have followed the exact same route as them, IMO. Apart from if I would want to by a good 4x4, there isn't one later model Toyota that excites me. It has all the charm and excitement of whiteware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
While these XRs were a hit in, lets say 1988, the best you can do is put faux radiator shrouds on them & sell these same machines as CRFs in 2010?
It is just a bit much isn't it, when you see a "brand new" dirt bike or quad with essentially a 20 year old motor in it. Stick with what works, sure, but I reckon 20 years plus is just really pushing it a little too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I wasn't trying to imply it was a reasonable action on my part. People just get weird about brands sometime. Right now, there is nothing that wows me so much that I have to get rid of my 9er. The S3 and Z1000...I just can't get by the looks. Hell the Z isn't even a naked anymore. If I could afford a Brutale, or Aprilia makes a naked RSV4 that I could afford, I might buy them. I would probably drift from Honda if there was something worth drifting to.
I would so love to have a Brutale for the styling alone. Just pure art, IMO.

Farab is offline  
post #32 of 40 Old 10-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Serial Monogamist
 
ST-DocLizard1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hampton, NJ
Posts: 1,509
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

It's gonna be hard to part with my 1990 model.

Doc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VTR 250 Babe.jpg (57.6 KB, 16 views)



"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
ST-DocLizard1 is offline  
post #33 of 40 Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 AM
smileage
 
FJ1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 120
Rep Power: 1
 
Cute little motorcycle

For the money, I'd hunt down a Yamaha 1984-85 RZ350

FJ1200 is offline  
post #34 of 40 Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,456
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post

Honda doesn't pay any attention to anyone but themselves.
Exactly and their bullshit is finally catching up with them as their sales plummet in every category...

A single cylinder 250 that weighs 25lbs more than my 22 year old VTR250 & makes less horsepower? Yea that's a real money maker right there Honda! Not to mention it looks like a VFR1200 screwed an 08+ CBR1000 and had a bastard spacker offspring....



My 1988 VTR250 will do 120+mph and run freeway speeds along with the pre-requisite overtaking maneuvers all day long.

LDH is offline  
post #35 of 40 Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Cornicen
 
mambomonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 538
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I don't mind the way it looks, but it doesn't seem compelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
but didn't want to stray from Honda.
Why not? You ever rode a Yamaha? R1? FZ1? You ever been on a boat with a Yamaha 350 HP V8 outboard? Honda is not the only reliable and high-quality Japanese manufacturer out there. My 2001 FZ1 was a first year model and I had a blast on it for years with zero quality issues. I went for a 919 this time around because 1) There were leftover 2007 models available CHEAP 2) The 919 gets 10 mpg more than the newer FZ1 - important because I bought it as a daily ride.

Honda is not the only girl at the dance and if she doesn't shape up then I'm going to need beer goggles to keep looking at her.

mambomonster is offline  
post #36 of 40 Old 10-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Brain stolen again?
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,359
Rep Power: 1
 
That Honda is just in time to run with this bad boy:

yamaha 250 exciter - Google Search

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
Bigdaa is offline  
post #37 of 40 Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
I had a 00 Lime green 250 Ninja for about 2 1/2 years. My son was 17 at the time. We both wailed the crap out of that poor little bike. What fun! Never a bit of problems. i don't know how many times that thing hit the deck. i nick named it Randy, because it'd lay ther like a slug. That was it's only defence. On top it'd only do, maybe 105.

My 599 weighs only 400lbs with 180 miles on a tank of fuel. Much better everything than any 250 Ninja.

KTM's going to make the 250 nekked you guys want!

Sniper is offline  
post #38 of 40 Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Hastatus Posterior
 
Farab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
Honda is not the only girl at the dance and if she doesn't shape up then I'm going to need beer goggles to keep looking at her.

Farab is offline  
post #39 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right Here
Posts: 1,380
Rep Power: 1
 
KTM to Introduce 250/300 Duke for 2012 « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

Game, set, match (refering to the 300cc version).

& I just got the WR250X farkled....

Bryce919er is offline  
post #40 of 40 Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Brain stolen again?
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,359
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
KTM to Introduce 250/300 Duke for 2012 « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

Game, set, match (refering to the 300cc version).

& I just got the WR250X farkled....
The orange one is cool. The other one looks dick whapped in the face.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
Bigdaa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome