power commander on 919... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 10-09-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Discen

power commander on 919...

...what's up? never been clear on the whole idea, would love to smooth out my throttle, if this is applicable. what are the pros and cons? and are there different settings for different applications?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Some good info towards the end of this thread.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/to-...ack-25221.html

post #3 of 25 Old 10-09-2010, 05:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Some good info towards the end of this thread.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/to-...ack-25221.html
rmb meant the "9er quick turn throttle?" thread, have a look there instead of the track or not to track thread.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-09-2010, 07:52 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

That's correct, my bad...

post #5 of 25 Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Pilus Posterior

What's wrong with your throttle - it should be smooth without it. No problem with my stocker.

post #6 of 25 Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Discen

nothing wrong, just heard that a PC gave smoother delivery but am unclear what that actually means in thr real world

post #7 of 25 Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Tirone

I personally think it's more trouble than it's worth. I bought my 919 with one already installed. I'v removed it and installed it several times. When it is installed, I don't notice an increase in power, or a smoother power delivery. I do notice that my bike doesn't start emmediately like it does when the PC3 is not installed. I had it removed for a year and a half, and I installed it just for shits, and it wouldn't run unless I held the start button in. Maybe I just need to reprogram it... I just got the cable to reprogram it a few days ago, so as soon as I get off my ass I will. There's maps out there that you can load according to your setup. Stock air filter, aftermarket air filter, full exhaust, slip on's of practically all brands... In my opinion it's too expensive for a mod that will cause more headaches than happiness. If you already have great riding gear, I think the next step is great tires, then trackdays till you need more tires.

post #8 of 25 Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I never could tell any difference when I took my PC off. MHO, PC doesn't do much on a 919.

Not worth the money or the trouble. Mine is plenty smooth as is.

post #9 of 25 Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I never could tell any difference when I took my PC off. MHO, PC doesn't do much on a 919.

Not worth the money or the trouble. Mine is plenty smooth as is.
That was not my experience.
Mine was terrible at low throttle openings below 2500 RPMs on a full warmed engine. As in 1st gear traffic crawling and stop and goes. It bucked, it dove, it was a pain. I learned to soften it with some clutch. At present, PCIIIusb,Yosh TRSs and custom map noted, I can go down below 1,000 and have perfect throttle control, no clutch slipping needed - even with a passenger on the back on a slight uphill grade. The bike stinks less. Even the exhaust note at idle changed, and wife even commented on that without being prompted. The dyno work torque curve was also rather revealing, lots of the stock curve lumpiness is smoothed out. Point blank, the factory mapping on a 919 absolutely sucks in comparison to what you can get by virtue of a PCIIIusb. Will the PCIII kick you in the head at 7000 RPM when you wick it from 65 % to 100 % full throttle ? No. Will it improve rideability, give you more torque, improve overall fuelling and even reduce the infamous 919 stink level ? Yes.

post #10 of 25 Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
The Cripple

i agree with mcromo. my previous 919 had the pcIII before wrecked and it was fairly smooth. i was still working out the different maps and had issues with the engine lugging below 1500 rpm but otherwise smooth. it "felt" lumpy at times because when you crack it just right, that torque kicks in lol.

my current 919 has no pcIII (same year), and it's all over the place at lower rpms. i'm constantly using the clutch to try and feather it out but it's still fairly rough. in city traffic sucks and is my primary motivation for installing the pcIII

post #11 of 25 Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

In the interest of an additional data point, I installed a PCIII today. I ordered the duck lord version which came with a custom map preinstalled for a bike with stock exhaust. It took me about 2 hours to get it installed mainly because I have a Givi rack and some LED trunk wiring to move out of the way. Installation was easy and I have some pictures if anyone needs them.

I rode the bike for about 30 miles. There were zero problems with cranking or idling as mentioned in other threads. The bike runs really smooth. How much difference can I tell from stock? A little. It may be psychological but I tried a lot of different roll ons and roll offs at all RPMs and it performs well with no hesitation, jerkiness, etc. I'm no expert but it does seem to be an improvement. I mainly bought it to be ready for whatever exhaust I end up going with.

post #12 of 25 Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
In the interest of an additional data point, I installed a PCIII today. I ordered the duck lord version which came with a custom map preinstalled for a bike with stock exhaust. It took me about 2 hours to get it installed mainly because I have a Givi rack and some LED trunk wiring to move out of the way. Installation was easy and I have some pictures if anyone needs them.

I rode the bike for about 30 miles. There were zero problems with cranking or idling as mentioned in other threads. The bike runs really smooth. How much difference can I tell from stock? A little. It may be psychological but I tried a lot of different roll ons and roll offs at all RPMs and it performs well with no hesitation, jerkiness, etc. I'm no expert but it does seem to be an improvement. I mainly bought it to be ready for whatever exhaust I end up going with.
Did you synchronize the PCIII to the bike's ECU Throttle Positioner ?

post #13 of 25 Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Did you synchronize the PCIII to the bike's ECU Throttle Positioner ?
Negative. I was not aware any such thing was needed. The instructions don't mention it.

post #14 of 25 Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Princeps Prior

Go into the pciii-USB software with your computer plugged in to your bike......believe it's called calibrate throttle. Your pciii needs to know what 0% and 100% throttle is.

It takes minutes to do..

post #15 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Good info, mine will be here tomorrow.

mcromo, would you be willing to share your TRS map? LDH is loading it with his Sato map, which I will try, but would like something Yoshi specific to compare with.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #16 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Good info, mine will be here tomorrow.

mcromo, would you be willing to share your TRS map? LDH is loading it with his Sato map, which I will try, but would like something Yoshi specific to compare with.
For sure, and just send me a PM with an e mail address that will accept attachments and I'll send it along.
I'll also include LDH's Moriwaki based map, version 4 that is, very good map. My Yosh TRS map is fairly close to that one.

post #17 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
Negative. I was not aware any such thing was needed. The instructions don't mention it.
The "Set Throttle" tutorial is what you need. It is a swf file type.
You can get it from the PC website.
I have a pre-established info bundle put together that includes it, so if you have trouble accessing the web info, I can send it to you.
You'd be amazed at how many PCIIIs get installed and are never synchronized.
It's very important at the lower RPM and lower throttle opening conditions.

post #18 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I got it done thanks. I had not bothered to load the software since my unit already had a map.

post #19 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
For sure, and just send me a PM with an e mail address that will accept attachments and I'll send it along.
I'll also include LDH's Moriwaki based map, version 4 that is, very good map. My Yosh TRS map is fairly close to that one.
PM sent

UPS Tracking:
HODGKINS, IL, US 10/19/2010 5:00 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

Next stop:

My house

BIG thanks to LDH for sending it out same day. Dan Kyle rocks

Dogjaw - I have been living with a real jerky throttle response and surging at low RPM. I will be sure to do a back to back comparison once the PCIII is installed to let you know if there is any improvement.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #20 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
PM sent

UPS Tracking:
HODGKINS, IL, US 10/19/2010 5:00 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

Next stop:

My house

BIG thanks to LDH for sending it out same day. Dan Kyle rocks

Dogjaw - I have been living with a real jerky throttle response and surging at low RPM. I will be sure to do a back to back comparison once the PCIII is installed to let you know if there is any improvement.
If by chance your PCIII is out of phase by 3 % of throttle position, and you are at an actual 2 % throttle opening at some particular RPM, you could be seeing a 5 % throttle opening amount of gas or a 0 % throttle opening amount of gas being injected. This is why synchronization is so critical. I wonder how many PCIIIs and/or maps get cursed at low RPM small throttle openings, partially or totally, for the wrong reason ?

post #21 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by det5lonewolf View Post
I personally think it's more trouble than it's worth. I bought my 919 with one already installed. I'v removed it and installed it several times. When it is installed, I don't notice an increase in power, or a smoother power delivery. I do notice that my bike doesn't start emmediately like it does when the PC3 is not installed. I had it removed for a year and a half, and I installed it just for shits, and it wouldn't run unless I held the start button in. Maybe I just need to reprogram it... I just got the cable to reprogram it a few days ago, so as soon as I get off my ass I will. There's maps out there that you can load according to your setup. Stock air filter, aftermarket air filter, full exhaust, slip on's of practically all brands... In my opinion it's too expensive for a mod that will cause more headaches than happiness. If you already have great riding gear, I think the next step is great tires, then trackdays till you need more tires.
You need to get a proper map for your bike. It will make ALL the difference. I think a PC and a GOOD dyno tech (yes, get your bike dyno'd - was $100 where I'm at) and hopefully they will find a good combination for your setup.

I put on another 3hp (on top of already gaining one or two here and there with other mods/exhaust, etc.) JUST by changing the map. Not by adding the PC, but by changing the MAP.

So, if I were to do it again, I would WAIT on putting on the PC until I threw her up on the Dyno. I also didn't notice a lot of difference (a bit, but not a lot) when I first put the PC on.

After the Dyno and new map, it was a whole new world.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #22 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Go into the pciii-USB software with your computer plugged in to your bike......believe it's called calibrate throttle. Your pciii needs to know what 0% and 100% throttle is.

It takes minutes to do..
Question. I did NOT do this when I installed my PCIII, but I just recently had it Dyno'ed. Would the tech have done that for me? I'm assuming he would have seen that, seen my sorry excuse of a noob at putting the PCIII on without doing it, and then just did it for me.

I did download the map to my computer, however. Is there any way I can tell that it's been done? Or does it hurt to re-do it?

Thx in advance!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #23 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Question. I did NOT do this when I installed my PCIII, but I just recently had it Dyno'ed. Would the tech have done that for me? I'm assuming he would have seen that, seen my sorry excuse of a noob at putting the PCIII on without doing it, and then just did it for me.

I did download the map to my computer, however. Is there any way I can tell that it's been done? Or does it hurt to re-do it?

Thx in advance!
The swf file type tutorial is called "Throttle Set".

The Tech SHOULD have done it first, but you can't count on that.

You can not tell whether it has been done unless you connect the laptop to the PCIII on the bike with the ignition key on in the run position.

post #24 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The swf file type tutorial is called "Throttle Set".

The Tech SHOULD have done it first, but you can't count on that.

You can not tell whether it has been done unless you connect the laptop to the PCIII on the bike with the ignition key on in the run position.
I can do that. Plan on it tonight. Cool, thanks for the info.

also found this.

See page 5, it talks about resetting throttle position. Two clicks of a computer, roll on throttle and let go (key on, bike NOT running I'm assuming). Looks like a piece of cake.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #25 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

EDIT FOR ABOVE POST AS I WAITED TOO LONG TO EDIT THE ORIGINAL: I should clarify, for those looking to just smooth out the throttle response, yes, I would put a PC on to help with that. I was just trying to state above that if it came down to saying "at what point did I notice a difference" I would put 15% on PCIII with downloaded map off internet, and 85% of "got the bike dyno'd and know my neck hurts". Not trying to dissuade you who would just want the PC; do it. But you'll get so much more out of it with a proper map!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode