Possible Problems - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Possible Problems

This is a 2004 bike (google honda 599) with only 1559 actual miles. It has been sitting in a shed since 08, never laid down and ridden by an adult. The tires and cosmetics are great. I just rode it up the road and it will move on (speedometer reads 170 miles per hour) however the carbs need cleaning or maybe just riding will clean the stable from them. Clutch and gears work as they should.

This is an excert from an add for a Honda 599 that my buddy is looking at. The asking price is $2800. Just wondering what problems he would run into with a bike that has sat for this long. And what things I should look for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

an oil/fluids change should take care of most issues it might have. running some BG44k carb/injector cleaner through it should fix things right up, assuming it was not laid up properly to begin with.

i thought that 599's had FI like the 919...?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I just picked up an '08 R6 that's been sitting since '08. However, it was kept in a crate, then a parking garage, and never started. The tank was empty since the original plan for it was to ship it out of the country.

So in my situation, I bought a new battery, filled it up with gas, and it started right up. Let it warm up, then did the same the next day, where I changed the oil.

The tires will most likely have flat spots, as I believe mine do. I've been trying to see if multiple heat cycles would work the flat spots out, but hasn't turned out that way yet.

In your case I'd check the chain, the gas tank, and while I don't know much about carbs, probably have that done. And new tires and a battery.
Coolant and brake fluids should be done as well. I think $2800 is too much.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Pilus Posterior

Fluids and I would personally throw out the tyres and replace with new ones.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

$2500 and a new set of tires and it would be a fun ride.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

depending on how good it was stored drain gas from tank and see if it will rev once warm, if not it was not stored right and will need carbs cleaned + what everyone else said. just because tires do not look bad after they sit like that they get dry and hard and the first time you push it the bike could slip out from under you.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Princeps Prior

replace the fluids and tires.

also, run seafoam through it. put a half a bottle in it. I just did on my 86 fazer cuz it was running a little rough, and now she runs like a pro.
when you do run it though, when you rev it or get high in the rpms, alot of extra smoke comes out of the exhaust.

If you were to have a carb problem after that, its not that hard to clean carbs or replace needles.

if you do go to clean them, replace the needles anyway. I had a 86 yamaha radian that had 1 bad needle, so gas would keep flowing into the crank case because of how the bike was vented. totally sucked

post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Good advice, tires and fluids, probably battery. Spray some carb cleaner in it, run the seafoam through it, should be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode