Poor service, How do YOU handle it? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Poor service, How do YOU handle it?

What do BP and my repair shop have in common?? Oil spillage!

So I am at my whits end with my local Yamaha dealer's repair shop.

I took my ride in last week for a checkup and had them do an oil change while it was there and a few other things. I sat in the shop for SIX hours that day and still left without my bike.

The bike has been spewing oil onto my garage floor ever since.

It was completely out of oil after having dripped for a few days and they sent out a tech Wednesday and I woke to MORE oil!

Now they're taking their sweet azz time returning my calls.

Every single time I deal with the shop guys there, they unfailingly prove to be idiots.

Frustration doesn't even come CLOSE to what I'm experiencing.

I'm about to go bash my head off my oily garage floor.

Tell me your service horror story so I don't feel so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider
Remember, a bike is like a woman. she'll appreciate your touch as long as she feels you want to take care of her.
2008 VStar 1100 Custom "Phat Nasty"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Bought a Dodge back in the early 90's, first, and last NEW car I ever bought.
Had a squeek in the steering column somewhere when it got cold, so I thought since I was near the dealer I would take it in since it is a NEW CAR, well they tell me to leave it, the tech is a lunch, and it is just a sqirt of oil should fix it, and it will only cost me 20 bucks.

I told them to cram it up their ASS and left, went to Wally World next door bought some squirt oil, and sprayed the lower column fisrt, and got the squeek gone.

I hate taking my stuff in, so I just do all of my own repairs.............NOW

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #3 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

First off, why on earth would you spend the money to have your dealer change your oil. If you have money to throw away, send some my way why don't ya!

I have no horror stories because I do all my own maintenance. I suggest you do the same or find a local mechanic to do it instead of taking it to the dealer.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "

post #4 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'm on an extended wait for a misordered chain which, if I'm lucky, will be here today. or not.

I will be voting with my feet on this one.

post #5 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
First off, why on earth would you spend the money to have your dealer change your oil. If you have money to throw away, send some my way why don't ya!

I have no horror stories because I do all my own maintenance. I suggest you do the same or find a local mechanic to do it instead of taking it to the dealer.
Well Said!

hence I departed that idiot dealer.........

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #6 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Le So Cal Troll

this is why i always do my own work on my bikes.

post #7 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yeah, it's great that you all do your own work. I don't know how to nor do I have anyone to teach me.

I would *LOVE* to dig in and get to work but, alas, my big brown batty eyes have always worked for me so I never had to learn to do these things myself and now that I'm single, I pay the dealer to service me.....well, my bike I mean of course.

But I completely and totally agree with you. I do need to learn to do some routine maintenance by myself.

Until that happens.....

Quote:
Remember, a bike is like a woman. she'll appreciate your touch as long as she feels you want to take care of her.
post #8 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

*20 w/t members jump on their bikes and rush north*

post #9 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

BS. I cannot stand it when my wife does that crap... Stop being lazy and getting f*cked by your dealer. You really cannot figure out how to change your oil?!? Youtube it then. Sheesh

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #10 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
*20 w/t members jump on their bikes and rush north*
Bahahaaa!! Sa-weet!

You guys show up and teach me how to wrench and there will be a ginormous Thank You cake waiting for you when you get here.

...and a gigantic kick in the nuts for the other dude.

Quote:
post #11 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
BS. I cannot stand it when my wife does that crap... Stop being lazy and getting f*cked by your dealer. You really cannot figure out how to change your oil?!? Youtube it then. Sheesh
You're kind of a jackass aren't you?

Get yourself a Merriam-Webster, look up the word "lazy", reread my earlier post then shove it.

Quote:
post #12 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 AM
yoshi919

I deal with service techs way too much!!...o wait thats cuz I work in a shop and I am one. Maybe I should have a ladies night class and educate them on basic maintance....that could be to my benefit possibly too

post #13 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Tirone

I'll be the first to admit that I'm far from mechanically minded. But changing my oil for the first time took me about $30 and 10mins. Not trying to critique or anything, but I"m positive that you can change your oil. And hey, if it doesn't work out, your bike will probably be in better shape than what that crazy dealer put it in.

Finding a good dealer is hard. Almost impossible.

post #14 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Tirone

Can anyone help RezChick?

post #15 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by me79xj99 View Post
I deal with service techs way too much!!...o wait thats cuz I work in a shop and I am one. Maybe I should have a ladies night class and educate them on basic maintance....that could be to my benefit possibly too
See? Now that's a nice reply.

No kick in the nuts for you either.

Where do I sign up?

Quote:
post #16 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I'm an equal opportunity hater. Sorry, sometimes it is difficult to control my fingers... My deepest apologies! See, your big brown ones work on a guy 2 states away...

YouTube - Oil Change Yamaha V-Star 1100

post #17 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrissom View Post
Not trying to critique or anything, but I"m positive that you can change your oil.
Thank you!

I'm sure I can master it with the right tools and a little instruction.

I mean, I even have a pair of hot pink work gloves. With them on, I'm unstoppable.

Quote:
post #18 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 AM
smileage

I would call the service manager, then the owner if need be.

They need to pick the bike up, at their expense, and properly fix the bike.

And not everyone likes to or wants to work on their own motorcycle. The Yamaha 1100 requires removal of the exhaust to get to the oil filter, a PIA, I understand why the owner would not want to do that them self.

Anyway, do not ride the bike unless you are sure it has enough oil in it, and even then, the leaking oil could possible cause you to loose control (something worth mentioning to the shop) and the liability may very well fall on the dealership that did you the poor service job.

Odds are the fix is easy, work with them, they should work with you.

I was a motorcycle shop manager for a few years, I've got stories going both ways.

One "customer" brought his motorcycle in because it was not running right, popped under deceleration. Just started, he said.

We adjusted the air screws and eliminated 90% of the backfiring, told him we would need to re-jet the carbs to get it right and gave him a quote.

He came back a couple days later, accused us of misadjusting his carbs are ruining his BRAND NEW PIPES.

A set of Sampson single wall chrome pipes, that he himself had installed and only ridden the bike once on, then brought it to us because of the backfiring.

Total jerk, I know the customer is always right, but this guy refused to allow us to jet his carbs and we only charged a nominal amount to tweek the air screws.

Then he pulls the "well, I am a fireman and you should be doing this work for me for free anyway" and that is when I asked him to leave, had enough.

He did not buy the pipes from us, we did not install the pipes, we did what we could and he wanted more than I was willing to offer -

BUT if he had acted in a decent manner, I would of worked with him on making it all right.

Me, I'll do all my own work, thank you, but there is a time and a place to have a shop to the work for you.

The last thing you probably want to be doing is pissing off the guy that is going to be working on your motorcycle -

Take the complaint up the ladder (trust me, the jerk with the pipes was SCREAMING at the owner of the dealership after he was done with me, what a idiot) if need be, but give the service writer a chance to make it right.

Good luck to you!

Oh, my sister rides a Yamaha 1100 like yours, with bags and a windshield, she loves it! I'm going to do a full service on it soon, front to back, valve adjustment and all.

Fun stuff

post #19 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
My deepest apologies! See, your big brown ones work on a guy 2 states away...
Ha! I WISH that were true!

No worries.

Quote:
post #20 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

wait a minute, back the truck up...

RezChick - are you sayin' that you never do your own oil changes?
...so, the dealership you're having issues with currently, are they the only ones who have done them for you or have you taken it anywhere else?

The point I'm getting at is this: If they f*#ked it up, they should fix it. Plain & simple.
I'd be having stern words with management if you're in the predicament that I'm suggesting.

...and, not trying to rub salt in the wounds, but I have to say I agree with Shaughnessy's stance on the situation, the only difference is I'd filter out the attitude (sorry man).
Find yourself a factory service manual for your bike, it might cost you between 20-50 bucks or so, but well worth the cost. I'm a visual person, so I rely heavily on pictures - which they have. Step-by-step instructions combined with (usually) good pictures will get a person a long way. And yes, with today's ever-broadening array of topics on the internet, you'll probably find a video somewhere if that suits you better.

Take full ownership of your bike, get yourself educated on basic routine maintenance and see where it leads. Don't hinder yourself by relying on flattery as a tool to lure others into doing it for you... it won't always be there for you. A woman that rides her own bike, that's a big turn on to a lot of guys. A woman that can do her own maintenance too? ... even better.

Best of luck you you in your fight with the dealership.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #21 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

FJ1200, your sister is lucky you're there to take care of her.

Yeah, the pipe removal thing is going to be a PITA. The cool down period only added to the hours of waiting there in the shop.

I've been more than patient when dealing with them. I'm not one to just spout off and piss off the ones doing work for me. In fact, I'm more likey to bring them a basket of muffins. But these guys are just messing with me now. A phone call to the owner may be on my to do list next week.

Quote:
post #22 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Like Omaha said, get the service manual for your bike. In there you will find pictures, a step by step on how to drain the oil, change the filter and it will also tell you how much oil to put in there.

But first I would get them guys to fix the leak and add the proper amount of oil in the bike.

post #23 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
Take full ownership of your bike, get yourself educated on basic routine maintenance and see where it leads. Don't hinder yourself by relying on flattery as a tool to lure others into doing it for you... it won't always be there for you. A woman that rides her own bike, that's a big turn on to a lot of guys. A woman that can do her own maintenance too? ... even better.

Best of luck you you in your fight with the dealership.
Thank you.

Without any background info, my comment may have been missunderstood. I have PAID them to do it for me. I have paid their hourly rate and they need to come through and fix the problem. Period.

I have a few thousand miles to learn how to do it myself.

Quote:
post #24 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

You handled it beter than I would have, that pretty messed up that they didn't come the next day to fix your bike. I agre with the other posts, you should get a service manual and a set of tools, it really ins't that hard, just intimidating.

post #25 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I appreciate all the responses!

In all reality, it would be foolish for me to get a service manual and just rip my bike apart with ZERO technical oversight and suffer through it just because someone might think it's "hot".

Women shouldn't have to impress someone by getting themselves into something they have no background in and don't feel comfortable doing....with nobody there to ask questions of no less.

F-ing up my $8,000 ride because I didn't know what I was doing isn't "hot", having the ability to admit I would benefit from instruction is.

Quote:
post #26 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I had a blonde moment and decided to have Wal-Mart change my oil in my car once. I had always done it myself, but since they had a special going where I could have them do it for less than I could do it myself, I thought, 'what the heck'. They handed me my keys and as I walked to my car, I could see a glimmer of liquid under it. I glanced at it and it didn't appear fresh and I couldn't see oil on my car. Drove it to the office and immediately could tell it was leaking. Checked the level and it was down a little from full. Crawled under the car and saw it dripping quickly from around the plug. The plug had a load of blue gasket sealer on it too. Took it back to Wal-Mart and after they pulled it over the pit, I hopped the Employee Only chain and quietly made my way down into the pit. They didn't know I was there. As soon as the guy working below said, 'Looks like we stripped the plug. Put a shop vac over the oil fill (I guess so they didn't have to drain the oil) and I'll tap it.' I got a little vocal. I scared the crap out of him because he didn't know I was there.

Long story short, they patched it while I was there and their corporate office cut me a check for the full price of OEM parts and a Honda dealer to repair it. I bought the OEM oil pan, plug, and gasket, then did the work myself. I think I pocketed around $300 on that deal. It was for my frustrations and time spent repairing it myself of course.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #27 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Tirone

I think it's great when you can look in a shop manual and figure out how to do the work yourself. However, not everyone has the space, tools, and background knowledge to do the work themselves. I agree, with most small repairs and maintenance, I try to do the work myself. However, there are times when I have to bring my bike/car in, or should have hours before and saved myself the aggravation. I'll never forget the time it took me two days to change the alternator in my car because I didn't have, and couldn't locate locally, the right torx bit to remove an engine lifting point out of the way. In hindsight, it would have been better to save the money than work in my apartment's parking lot in the middle of winter. Yeah, I got the job done, and I felt better doing it myself, but it wasn't worth it. So if the lady wants to take her bike in, let it be.

post #28 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Another How to

[youtube]CtypxVmEYg4[/youtube]

post #29 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Le So Cal Troll

like others have said... if the dealer messed up they should fix it. Also you might just get a service manual to look over it, you would be VERY surprised at how simple things like oil changes and general maintenance is.

post #30 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

What background knowledge do you need to conduct an oil change? If you want to take your bike to a shop by all means do so. I reserve the right to giggle quietly to myself...

post #31 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

After I wrecked my 02 9er I hauled it directly to the shop. About 2 years later the only thing they have told me is "we had it running once, but we're tired of [email protected]#%ing with it" so I went and bought an 04 9er. I call the shop once a week for a status update and they bitch about it being too hot to do work, or lack of funds to order parts.

Next time, I'm not doing it myself

post #32 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I wonder if they cross-threaded or stripped the drain plug? If so it can be fixed, preferably by them paying for a new oil pan. That would be the easiest thing and hopefully it's not worse than that.
Remind them that word of mouth is a powerful weapon, especially with all the people who read these posts! It can work for them or against them.
Hope it all turns out well for you. Stick to your guns and don't let them get the best of you.

post #33 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 05:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Dear Shaughnessy speed and speed,

I needed a new chain for my bike and so I ordered it along with new sprockets.

I did this on a friday around 5 pm. Not the best time to order parts as I debated over doing it earlier in the week. Nonetheless, the shop told me three to five business days. I lucked out and my parts arrived the following tuesday. I went to pick them up and noticed they had ordered the chain too short. They apologized and ordered the right chain and I took the short chain home to compare to my used chain by hanging the old one over the sprockets. (I bought a smaller rear) This test proved me right. This was on the 22nd. It is now friday again and I can only hope it arrives on monday.

Does this sound normal or right to you?

Sincerely,

Driveless in wisconsin

post #34 of 100 Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Pilus Posterior

I like to do as much servicing as I can. Having said that if someone is not comfortable doing their own then it is good practice to take it to a dealer and pay them. And a dealer SHOULD be able to do the work without any issues, but every now and then the buggers are human.

In this case they should immediately fix any problem they have caused pronto.

Talk to the manager immediately. Also find out exactly why it is leaking, see if you can see where the oil is coming from - maybe they stripped the sump plug or if your bike has oil lines one may be loose or the filter may not be tight on the housing.

Good luck, stay calm.

post #35 of 100 Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Call the shop and ask to speak to Tony Hayward. That should start a good conversation.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #36 of 100 Old 06-26-2010, 04:39 AM
smileage

I can burn you a copy of the factory service manual, if you want one.

Just let me know what year and the specific model.

I have them for almost every Yamaha.

post #37 of 100 Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

lol You gotta be careful where you post a comment like that! PM sent.

post #38 of 100 Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

rezchick,

if fj doesn't have the manual, here's 1 Yamaha V-Star 1100 1999-2005 Custom, Classic, and Silverado service repair manual download for $9.99
downloadable. one suggestion,after watching the vids above,save up and buy the oil filter relocation kit. changing oil on "that bike" is a p.i.t.a.
after the relocation kit changing the oil will be way easier and take less time that getting the tools out and putting them away. you'll be glad you did!!!
and you won't have to deal with the "circus monkeys" at the dealership

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #39 of 100 Old 06-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

RezChick - I guess, according to mdMike's video, first you'll need to get yourself a french maid's outfit.

nah, seriously. If you've ever used a screwdriver, you can use a wrench. If you can use a wrench, you can change your oil.
You'll never get your second oil change done until you've completed your first. If you don't have tools, Lowes sells Kobalt socket sets in a handy little latching case with handle fairly inexpensively. They last forever and you'll earn your money back several times over by doing your own basic maintenance.
There are good instructional videos out there and probably good motorcycle maintenance books too.

Now go kick that dealer's ass and burn his shop down.

post #40 of 100 Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
RezChick - I guess, according to mdMike's video, first you'll need to get yourself a french maid's outfit.

nah, seriously. If you've ever used a screwdriver, you can use a wrench. If you can use a wrench, you can change your oil.
You'll never get your second oil change done until you've completed your first. If you don't have tools, Lowes sells Kobalt socket sets in a handy little latching case with handle fairly inexpensively. They last forever and you'll earn your money back several times over by doing your own basic maintenance.
There are good instructional videos out there and probably good motorcycle maintenance books too.

Now go kick that dealer's ass and burn his shop down.
woa, slow down there turbo!!!!!lol

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode