• 1 Post By marylandmike
  • 1 Post By acall
  • 1 Post By Sckill
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By knicholas

post #1 of 9 Old 07-04-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

NYC -> Durham Ride Photos

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks again to the great guys/gal in this community. The trip from NYC to North Carolina was amazing. Broken into two days, overnight stop in Front Royal, VA, rode Skyline Drive at 7am (complete with my very own visit from a black bear who ran across the road). Absolutely stunning.

Would be happy to do it again with anyone in the area. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY-NC1.jpg (93.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg NY-NC2.jpg (57.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.34.04 PM.jpg (78.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.34.33 PM.jpg (79.7 KB, 23 views)
badmoon692008 and CKutz_GO like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 04:09 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Very nice photos. Skyline drive is a great ride. I still need to get up there this year. Glad the trip went well and very smart to break it into two days.
knicholas likes this.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Omnivore

Glad to see you did it and took time to take in the scenery! Drop me a PM if you want info about good places to ride around Durham!
knicholas likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Tesserarius

Awesome man! glad to see you did it! Congrats! That's funny about the bear, I also saw one there! hopefully you didn't have any close encounters with Leo's also! they watch speed pretty heavy on skyline.

So what'd you learn? What worked, and what sucked?!
p.s. is that some discoloration on your rear rotor??

post #5 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Touring by motorcycle can be addictive. You have been warned.

You are now within striking distance of the dragon and all of the amazing riding the SE has to offer. No more having to put up with the constant bullshit that comes with operating a motorcycle in NYC and way better scenery than the usual Bear Mtn or Harriman State park runs.

Good luck to you on the new living situation and let me know if you're ever in the ATL area or headed to the dragon.
knicholas likes this.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM
919 Rider

Nice pics. So different from what I'm used to seeing. A bear, how awesome. The only animals I see are dead kangaroos and snakes. I would give my left nut to ride across the U.S. Well done mate.
knicholas likes this.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks folks! Yes, I'm really happy with the move, it's a whole different kind of riding down here. I can actually take it past first gear on my commute now . @acall absolutely! I'll PM you and weather and time providing we have to take a ride some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
Awesome man! glad to see you did it! Congrats! That's funny about the bear, I also saw one there! hopefully you didn't have any close encounters with Leo's also! they watch speed pretty heavy on skyline.

So what'd you learn? What worked, and what sucked?!
p.s. is that some discoloration on your rear rotor??
@CKutz_GO quite right, the PO left the bike outside for some time so there are some rusty bolts/discolorations but it doesn't hamper the ride. I learned that a Crampbuster is God's gift to mankind and that my ass cheeks are my new most sensitive body part. Damn my cheeks were sore. But staying off 95 was the best idea you all had. Met some friendly bikers, saw some sights, got some ethanol free gas in small towns, had homemade ice cream, got some great footage on the gopro. I'm saving up for a triumph tiger or bmw k1200r to take these rides to the next level (of comfort) and allow the lady to sit on back comfortably!
CKutz_GO likes this.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicholas View Post
@CKutz_GO quite right, the PO left the bike outside for some time so there are some rusty bolts/discolorations but it doesn't hamper the ride. I learned that a Crampbuster is God's gift to mankind and that my ass cheeks are my new most sensitive body part. Damn my cheeks were sore. But staying off 95 was the best idea you all had. Met some friendly bikers, saw some sights, got some ethanol free gas in small towns, had homemade ice cream, got some great footage on the gopro. I'm saving up for a triumph tiger or bmw k1200r to take these rides to the next level (of comfort) and allow the lady to sit on back comfortably!
Awesome man, that's what it's all about!
Yea i haven't gotten a crampbuster yet, but have been planning to for those slab sections.
Would you say the airhawk helped significantly? I wear underarmour heat gear underwear on my longer trips, moisture is your enemy and they seem to work really well. as long as your rear brake isn't dragging it should be fine.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
Awesome man, that's what it's all about!
Yea i haven't gotten a crampbuster yet, but have been planning to for those slab sections.
Would you say the airhawk helped significantly? I wear underarmour heat gear underwear on my longer trips, moisture is your enemy and they seem to work really well. as long as your rear brake isn't dragging it should be fine.
yea the crampbuster made those long stretches a cinch, my throttle wrist wasn't even minutely fazed.

Agreed on the moisture, I wore compression shorts I had from rugby days and they did the trick. A nice pair of seamless riding shorts would be nice though, the stictching, as light as it was, started to chafe after the first day.

So I didn't actually get the airhawk. Couldn't justify $100+ for some pods of air. What I used is a maddog seat protector and piled layers of an old mattress toper I had underneath. In retrospect, the cheek pain was the most unbearable part of the journey (way more than the knees) so maybe an airhawk would have been worth the cash. But at any rate, even my jerryrigged seat padding was infinitely better than if i just went with the stock seat. Also bumped me up an inch or so which was nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode