Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

New Project...FJR1300

8K views 71 replies 13 participants last post by  Darth_Firebolt 
#1 · (Edited)
Took in a FJR1300 project...2004. Bike has not ran in 6+ years & stinks of bad gas at 10 paces. Mice ate the seats. Has been sitting in a barn for 6 years then outside for the last 5 months. As rescued...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Just been able to briefly look over the bike. Hole in the top of the gas tank....maybe just a a vent chamber as the tank is full (of something) & it does not splash out. Also removed the seat & the mouse damage is worse than I hoped, but not as bad I have seen before. Other than the seat they started eating the plastic inner fender/under tray, 1/2" hole thru the top of the air box, a little of the rear cowl, & the insulation of a wire or two (so far). Of course all the gross & corrosive action of the mouse pee too. Not brave enough to get inside the airbox yet. A lot of the main harness/ECU wiring is down by the air intake also so will have to see what kind of damage was done around there. On my last project (YZ125) mouse pee completely ruined the bike..nest in the airbox & the mouse pee ran down...melted the carburetor :eek:....then continued on & ruined the crank & cases. There was no saving that one. This one is not near that level (that I have seen yet) & at least the airbox is below the intakes so that cant happen here.

Rolls a lot easier with air in the tires. Looking for a set of seats & a windscreen that isn't blue (stock height preferred) if anyone has one laying around the garage cheap.

Never dealt with old/gummed up gas in a FI bike before. What do you do? Just replace the fuel injectors instead of trying to use or clean them?

Attachments

#4 ·
Looks awesome so far. I was going to suggest a seat cover from eBay and cut some foam or have it reworked by a pro.

I did a tow yard restore on a Nighthawk 700S back about 15 years ago. It was missing quite a few parts. I got it for free and was able to unfreeze the rings and get it running. Bought a parts bike for $400 and had pretty much all the parts I needed to get it running.

Few tips: I'm sure you understand motorcycle tires and how they age, after about 5 years, they're not good any more. The tricky parts are the seals and brakes. I had stuff in the brake system that locked up the brakes. The plastic site viewer started melting into the fluid and made it so that the brakes wouldn't return.

Cables, seals, fluids, etc... Sadly a bike sitting really doesn't do it any favors and outside in the weather can really damage the rubber seals. Things like the brake seals inside, you can't see them until you pull it all apart, but they can go at any time.

#6 ·
Ventured further in...
Opened the gas cap & found heavy corrosion around the filler neck, liquid pretty much full. Siphoned out all the liquid to the tune of around 4 gallons (in a 6+ gallon tank). Could tell the tank has alot of sediment or solids in it so I assume the fuel pump is not going to make it but I have not pulled it or even looked in with a flashlight yet. Yanked the tank from the bike then went after the air box. No mice live or dead but they sawed though the main wiring harness near the ECU. So far the shopping list includes fuel tank, inner/rear fender, air box, wiring harnesses (this bike has several--need main & injector harnesses at minimum) & probably fuel pump & complete fuel rail. I assume I could reuse the throttle bodies themselves but may replace everything else for peace of mid if nothing else. The good news is the smell in the garage is improving & in general parts are plentiful & reasonable for FJRs. The exception being Gen I (03-05) fuel pumps...currently not much out there & used ones cost more than a new one from Yamaha.

Note the hole in the air box & no wires leading to the intake temp sensor.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Continuing to peel back the onion. Eventually, beneath the layers of plastic, wiring, & hoses you can start to make out parts that resemble an actual motorcycle. Removing the main front fairing around the dash & headlight was a challenge when you don't know where the fasteners & all the little interlocking tabs are. The FSM wasn't much help either. Finally got it without breaking anything.

I pul;led the fuel pump & don't see how it could be saved with the corrosion in the tank. Despite the funk in the tank, the rest of the fuel system downstream may actually be salvageable.

I was also able to determine the FJR has Throttlemeister bar ends with cruise control.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Almost to the turn. Bad spinal cord removed. Got to look in the intake ports....looks like the day it was made. No dirt or foreign matter. Not even a hint of carbon or buildup. Looks like brand new x4. Since it has no electrical system I was never able to check miles at the odometer. I have been operating under the seller's word that it had "ten to twenty" thousand miles on it. Guy I bought it from was the original owner who bought it new.

Attachments

#15 ·
One last pic of the before....Finally have it broken down to the point I can start going the other way. The amount of space a fully disassembled FJR takes up is staggering. I have parts stuffed everywhere. The mice really did a number on this wiring, but it will be fixed right (replaced).

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
The mice did not stop at the main harnesses. Every wire must be inspected. I could patch, solder, or put new ends on some of the lesser damaged wires but I do not want to go back into this bike again, chase electrical gremlins, or be left stranded (it is a touring bike after all) so any wire that is compromised is being replaced.

The stator output, cam position sensor, & O2 sensor wires were untouched. The jumper from the neutral switch to the main harness was fine but I am replacing it with the one that came with the replacement main harness anyway.

Did a cold oil & filter change..

The bullet end of the oil level sensor melted off so the entire sensor was replaced. No end circled...

Replacement...

The output speed sensor wires were nibbled on so it was replaced. This is between the engine & shock/swingarm. The connector does not fit between the engine & frame so I had to release the pins from the connector otherwise I could not get the replacement in.

Starter cable insulation chewed thru so it was replaced..

& Finally the crank position sensor was replaced due to compromised wires.

#23 ·
Ya know, Bryce, if you replace the tank, and everything that is rubber and or plastic, you might have something there. But man, that's a lot of work. I gotta hand it to you for undertaking such an endeavor.

It drives me crazy when people neglect/destroy what was once a really nice motorcycle. If the PO has hosed that thing down with a couple of cans of Honda polish, tossed a sheet over it, dumped a bunch of Sta-Bil in the tank. and bought a bucket of rat poison when he parked it, it would have taken less than 2 hours to get it cleaned up, and running.

I'm a firm believer that motorcycles belong in the house.

#26 · (Edited)
Got the cooling system & all the wires that reside under the left & right main fairings reinstalled & sorted. Can't fill the cooling system yet since there is a loop that runs thru the throttle bodies.:rolleyes: Those left & right wiring bunches & hoses snaked around each other & the surrounding frame to radiator cowling will test you. The headlight harness & handlebar controls feed in thru the steering head & tie in to the remaining connectors under the tank then the AIS hoses plop on top last. Had enough wiring & cable routing for now--moving on to suspension for a change of pace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.