New City / Commuter Bike....& its a KTM - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryce919er
  • 1 Post By Bryce919er
  • 2 Post By crakerjac

post #1 of 20 Old 12-31-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

New City / Commuter Bike....& its a KTM

Previous city / commuter bike was a 2008 WR250-X. I got it basically new as a leftover in 2010 & it evolved into this:

No complaints other than there is only so much a factory 250 Japanese dual sport can do power wise. The commuter bike sits outside in full sun most days, endures rain, hail, dust, etc. Someone bumped the WR with their car in a parking lot once & knocked it over; they stood it up waited for me to return & admitted it. Luckily the only damage was a bent clutch lever. The WR still looked good in pics but was starting to show some UV fading in the plastic, controls, shock spring, lifting graphics, etc. when you looked close. The stock chain & sprockets were done & it needed another set of tires soon. Since the X super moto models hold their value well I looked into selling before the UV took a greater hold & it still looked good. Going to miss jumping curbs, speed bumps, & riding down stairs.

Everything came together because I sold off some aftermarket WR parts, then found a buyer for the WR, & came across a really good deal on the already bargin 2017 Duke 390. Picked it up just before the cold hit so it only has a handful of miles & still has the stickers on the Metzeler radials.

Unheard of features for this class & price point:
TFT display
Switchable ABS
Throttle by wire
LED headlight
Slipper clutch
Back lit handlebar controls
Stainless braided brake lines
Radial mount front caliper
Adjustable levers
Can control music & I think even texts via bluetooth & your phone with the handlebar controls (if you care about such things-- I don't)
Two year warranty

Don't have much planned for the Dukette. Don't really want to do the exhaust / programmer thing because it is just too expensive anymore. Two things that I am going to do are replace the passenger pegs & that tail.

I can stomach a lot of factory tail pieces--& I will always run factory turn signals no matter what--but this KTM one takes the cake. Its like the designers just gave up or ran out of budget on those two items; not up to par with the rest of the bike. Again, for this class this bike has a cast aluminum swing arm & triple clamps, aluminum foot controls/pedals, & an aluminum canned silencer; yet that tail & all the passenger peg / exhaust hanger bracketry is all steel. The 17 Duke gained 22 lbs (up to 328 lb dry) over the 16. Some due to the larger exhaust, some from a plastic tank to steel, some from the change to heavy duty wheels, the rest has to be those two items, will find out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 06:07 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Congrats man.....beautiful bike. Looks like a hoot!

post #3 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Nice! Congrats!

post #4 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Tesserarius

I bought a '15 390, in April of that year. I was told it was the first 390 Duke sold in Indiana. The plan was for me to ride a year or 2, then sell it to my son. He backed out of the deal. But I did ride it 2 years. Sold it to a really nice young lady from the Nashville area. She was thrilled to get it. It looked like new when I sold it.

I remember the bike was really dry when I got it. Meaning, it needed wax, and Armour All. That little bike got a lot of attention. People loved the Orange wheels, and frame. Mine was predominantly black. I wish I had a pic that wasn't up side down.

I didn't do a whole lot to the 390, bought the Comfort Seat, which I later sold individually, I also did the fancy KTM adjustable levers, and a set of Domino Grips.

The instrument panel on the first 390s were worthless. The shift light helped. I hit the rev limiter a lot. The speedometer was about 3% optimistic. I had seen 111 on the speedometer a number of times. KTM put a 150 rear tire on it, which was a mistake. The rim wasn't wide enough for a 150. The back tire lasted only 2300 miles, anyway. I put a 140 on, which actually put more rubber on the road. The gas tank was too small.

I didn't do any in town, or commuting on mine. It was ridden like a back road Sport bike, like everything else I own. It was a little out of its element the way I used it, but not by much. The tighter, curvier the road, the better. The curb feelers on the pegs didn't last long. Knee pucks took a beating. Twat on a turd, but I didn't care. I had a ball.

Ive ridden a KTM 690. I REALLY liked that bike. If I can find a nice used 690, I may have one of those for a few years

post #5 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

It give you any issues? Cooling fan? I see a fair amount of info out there about the fans but haven't bothered to educate myself on it.

With the new display the whole tach changes colors as the revs build & there is still a shift light but it says it is disabled until 600 miles is reached. I hope it does not need to go back to the dealer to get some magic computer hookup & blessing after the 600 mile "break-in" to get full function or some service message to go away. The info is all easily customizable as far as what you info you want to see all the time & what will take 1 button press or a few button presses. Even typing that makes it sound more complicated than it is, it is really intuitive with the control on the left pod. Even has battery voltage which I have not seen on a bike previously. The screen is in "night" mode above & turns light tan in "day" mode like most GPS or car navigation does; switches back & forth automatically.

KTM was real late getting these out to dealers, a lot did not even get any until September so almost no real world info or parts out there yet.

post #6 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Tesserarius

A nut on the starter solenoid was loose. It did not fall off. I tightened it back down. Took me about half an hour to figure it out. Took 30 seconds to fix it.

It was just a really nice little motorcycle. It garnered more attention than I was used to getting. Young guys at gas stations often had something positive to say about it. I usually offered to let them sit on it.

The 390 is a happy little machine. I didn't take it seriously. I had no intention of trying to make it faster. I put around 3700 miles on it. Like I said earlier, from the onset, I was never going to keep it long.

I'm glad you put those pics of the 2 390s up. Mine looked just like the one on the right. I took the goofy belly pan off mine. Reflectors, passenger pegs, bar ends, whatever else wasn't necessary got carefully packed away and saved for the new owner. I took the snorkel off the air box but soon put it back on. The bike ran a little worse and made more noise without snorkel.

Oh, now I remember.... I put a Shorai battery in it for weight reduction. Sold the stock battery. The bike probably weighed less than 300 pounds.

post #7 of 20 Old 01-01-2018, 04:49 PM
Tesserarius

No fan issues.

post #8 of 20 Old 01-03-2018, 09:13 AM
just send it.

Garage
How tall are you? Can you flat foot with both feet while stopped at a light?

[This space for rent]
post #9 of 20 Old 01-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Tesserarius

I put the Comfort Seat on my 390. The Comfort Seat was a little taller than the standard seat. So the seat on my bike was probably just about the same as yours.

I'm 5'10". But I'm fairly lon legged. I wear 34" inseam Levis. Flat footing that bike was no problem.

post #10 of 20 Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Can't recall with the limited seat time, I will test it out tomorrow but I sure think so. I know the overall feeling I remember is it feels tiny & the pegs are way back there. The only thing you see with a full face helmet on are the mirrors which are so wide it is hard to walk it through a standard door. Also consider I am coming off the WR-X; which no I could not flat foot both, & really even one flat foot I has to shift one cheek off a little. The WR-X pegs were right below you. I'm 5-8, 29/30" inseam.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-06-2018, 06:49 AM
Tesserarius

The KTM mirrors are quite wide. They do a good job. I leave em on the Super Duke, but for some reason, I took them off of the 390. I don't ride in town and am fully capable of turning my head.

There is a little Fender Extender on the back fender. I took that off, as well as the reflectors. But that is as far as I went. Reflectors, and warning stickers go away, but anything else that goes in a box, is for weight reduction. I'm not too hung up on looks. KTMs aren't pretty to start with.

post #12 of 20 Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Turns out no, I can't flat foot both. With one flat foot the other is on the ball of my foot & heel up.
crakerjac likes this.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-09-2018, 08:37 AM
just send it.

Garage
Good to know. I like those bikes, but I make too many boneheaded mistakes and I need to be able to flat foot.

[This space for rent]
post #14 of 20 Old 01-09-2018, 10:45 AM
919 Rider

Try wearing high heels!

post #15 of 20 Old 01-09-2018, 11:35 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Try wearing high heels!
I don't like the way they make my ass look....

[This space for rent]
post #16 of 20 Old 01-13-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

In addition to being heavy & ugly, the stock tail does nothing to keep splash off the rider so with three strikes...its out. If it was a functional fender like the 919 I could look the other way, but instead its just DOT nonsense.

Also note the passenger pegs & exhaust hanger. Who is going to ride two up on a 390 Duke? Not me.

Replace these tail parts (3 lb) including the steel frame hiding under the plastic guard...

With these (0.5 lb) for a 2.5 lb savings.

The body fill piece is machined from HDPE plastic. The plate bracket is powder coated stainless steel, & there is a tiny LED plate light. OEM turn signals are retained.

Next replace the stock passenger pegs & exhaust hanger (4.25 lb) on left with the aluminum exhaust hanger (0.5 lb) on the right for a 3.75 lb savings.

& it winds up looking like this.

Everything came with stainless hardware. New parts fit in with the rest of the bike much better. No other glaring shortcomings. That is all that is planned for now, need to put some miles on it to see if it needs anything else.
Dario_hawk likes this.

post #17 of 20 Old 01-15-2018, 02:35 PM
just send it.

Garage
Those 'passenger' pegs are for wheelies not riding 2-up...
badmoon692008 and ewmin3m like this.

[This space for rent]
post #18 of 20 Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Didn't catch it, but how's it compare to the wr?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

post #19 of 20 Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Not enough time on the KTM to make any judgements yet. Only have about 16 miles on it & I was freezing the whole time; not to mention the tires are shiny new with the stickers literally still on them. The WR was a hoot in town but sounded faster than it really was. I know I am going to miss the suspension on the WR, especially on the crappy roads of the rail yard called a town where I live.

post #20 of 20 Old 02-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Tesserarius

I had a WR450F, that I managed to get plated, years ago. My WR was on Pirelli M16s, which are dirt bike tires. So I can't draw a fair comparison. But here goes. I never could get the WR to cruise at a smooth pace. It was never designed to cruise. It's a dirt bike. It was loud, light, the seat was soon like sitting on a 2X4. Tons of torque. It wasn't a good street bike, and it was too much for me in the woods. I got a WR250F right after selling the 450. Never turned back. The 250 is not streetable, so to speak. But, it is legal in Indiana to ride it on back roads, if you buy the stickers from the state.

The 390 that I had, was a great little street bike. Quick, quiet, agile, reasonably comfortable. Much better street bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode