Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

New bike, would love some advice

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Scrawny 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum, new to 919's and basically new to bikes in general besides a couple years of trail riding. I bought an 07 919 last week and I'm loving it. The day after I bought it I was having some issues with it stalling coming to a red light, turns out it was just low on gas to the point it could run fine at speed but dies slowing down? (I guess my gas light doesn't work) Anyway I cleaned the air filter and installed new spark plugs still had the issue but after filling it up it ran great. I also immediately changed the oil and cleaned and tightened the chain to make sure everything was taken care of. I took her on a long ride yesterday up the hills near fresno where I live, and noticed what I think is my front rotor making noise, my brakes were pretty squeaky (although have plenty of pad still) and when I was on the throttle at all it just didn't sound quite right, like it was a little grainy of a sound, but I think that could be me riding at lower rpms? Im still taking it pretty easy. I didn't notice it when I was riding the bike hard but the exhaust covers most noises.
Wondering if you guys have any ideas how I can fix these issues and have her running in top shape.

There's a PCIII on the bike also which I honestly know nothing about, but other than that, a fender eliminator kit, and a low single exhaust the bike is stock im pretty sure.

Any advice on mods I should look at or maintenance to take care of is extremely appreciated as well

See less See more
#2 ·
and noticed what I think is my front rotor making noise, my brakes were pretty squeaky (although have plenty of pad still) and when I was on the throttle at all it just didn't sound quite right, like it was a little grainy of a sound, but I think that could be me riding at lower rpms?
Welcome to the club!

Many owners have experienced brake squeal, which can be intermittent, ghosting in and out to bug you to death. In the future you could take your calipers off and check to see that the pistons are all nice and clean so that they naturally move away from the disk a fraction when they are not in use.

My bike has a real gravelly feel to it when the revs drop below 2500 or so in traffic, so your odd feel might be along those lines. For me, it's not so much a sound as a sensation, and certainly clears up the moment the revs get up.

#3 ·
Thanks K1, that takes a lot of worry off. Would just some break cleaner and brush work fine for the calipers then? And that makes a lot sense with grainy feel, it was my first time through a lot of twisties and later in the ride I totally forgot about it as my speed picked up.

#4 · (Edited)
Would just some break cleaner and brush work fine for the calipers then?
Yep, as a place to start. If you unbolt the calipers from the forks and get them off the disks, you should be able to de-gunge them reasonably well, if that's what they need.

What you want to do is make sure all the pistons can move freely, in and out. An external clean is the place to start - you might eventually want to pull them all apart and give them a bit of a burnish and a recondition, but start simple.

#6 ·
In the owners manual for my old 2008 KTM 990 Super Duke, it says to take a garden hose and hit your calipers with a good blast of water every so often; which is what I do. There a surprising amount of brake dust that comes off when I do that. I've been doing that for years. My brakes don't squeal.

#7 ·
Welcome and good choice of steed!
Personally I think noise and squeal are slightly different.
As said earlier by k1w1, remove and clean with caliper piston in situ, I use copper grease and new OEM pads should come with new 'anti-squeal' plates (can't remember other name for them!) if fitted when new.
Braided lines on front only for me, new OEM hose on rear. This summer
I'm trying sintered on ze front...Wow. The difference. May have to slot standard ones in for winter, obvious reasons!

Has taken me a long time to find this site, brillo by the way, and plan on PAIR removal in future. >:)

p.s. where does one find quality blank-off plates?:grin2:

#8 ·
Hi Scrawny,

I just did a PAIRS replacement. eBay. UK £15.99, UK company, posted out and received within three days. fit a treat, easy to do. look for seller bertye1958 (48838) listing as Honda CB1300 CB1300S CB900 Hornet PAIRS Delete Kit Smog Block Plates.

They come in Silver but will do black if you ask them. The silver matches the engine colour pretty well on my 2003 Hornet 900

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.