Need Help!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Smile Need Help!!

I need some help from any lister who can provide it. Some of you know about my deer/motorcycle crash last year. I have been trying to find parts for the repair of my 1996 CBR900rr ever since without much luck.

Apparently that model must have been prime choice for stunters of the day as there is very little left out there. So now I am looking to purchase a complete bike and just pick the parts off of it I need.

Ideally I would want the same year and color, but any 1996 or 1997 that is in mostly stock condition will do. I don't want any chrome frames or wheels, or polished stuff and no extended swingarm drag bikes etc. I am looking for mostly OEM equipment as that is what I need to replace what I have.

I am willing to pay a finders fee of up to $250 for your services for anyone who comes through with a bike I end up purchasing. So if any of you know of a bike for sale locally or a friend/enemy anything hit me up.

I am located near Youngstown, Ohio and obviously the closer the better, but at this time I am willing to do some traveling for the right bike. PM me with any offers and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Here is a picture of my bike before the crash; this color scheme is what I desire most as I already have about 40% of the bodywork, but right now I'll consider any stock colors (non- repaint jobs) Thanks.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Wow, looking through NC Craigslists you do see some ...um...interesting CBRs.

Closest I could find-
Honda Cbr 900rr
post #3 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

96 cbr 900 rr

South Carolina

post #4 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

post #5 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

fleabay parts...

900rr 1997 1996, buy and sell Motorcycle Parts on eBay Motors

I'd also recommend calling Orville at Green's Motorcycle Salvage. He's not too far from me and has a TON of stuff.

Green's Motorcycle Salvage - One of the world's largest cycle salvage facility
(two 7 oh) eight seven 9 -8 nine 7 nine <---don't want the spiders pulling his number and calling him all the time.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #6 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
fleabay parts...

I'd also recommend calling Orville at Green's Motorcycle Salvage. He's not too far from me and has a TON of stuff.

(two 7 oh) eight seven 9 -8 nine 7 nine <---don't want the spiders pulling his number and calling him all the time.
If you want to take a road trip, ride down to Orville's sometime. They've got warehouses full of the stuff. Aisle upon aisle of parts that they honestly don't know they have, or what they have. It's pretty easy searching too. Most of the tanks are in one spot, fenders another, etc.

I'll post up something on the local board also.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
If you want to take a road trip, ride down to Orville's sometime. They've got warehouses full of the stuff. Aisle upon aisle of parts that they honestly don't know they have, or what they have. It's pretty easy searching too. Most of the tanks are in one spot, fenders another, etc.

That's a fact. I bet that guy doesn't know about half the stuff in the barns. There's no way he can. All the plastics are upstairs. I think a friend of mine and I spent an hour wandering through his buildings. We didn't even see it all. Crazy amount of parts. It was sobering to walk the aisles and think about how many of the wrecked bikes were probably fatal accidents.

post #8 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Wow Cycles in GA has 2 of them, an 95 blk/purp and a 97 red
WOW International

Dan
post #9 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

What parts do you actually need? Steele's Cycle Salvage here in Colorado has 900rr parts, saw them just a few days ago. three-o-three 781-5 three three 9 is the number (encripted, lol). Good Luck!!

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #10 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Wow, looking through NC Craigslists you do see some ...um...interesting CBRs.

Closest I could find-
Honda Cbr 900rr
Hahaha... I like the oil/coolant slick right under the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
96 cbr 900 rr

South Carolina
Looks promising. Missing front and rear signals. I'll add that to my list. Thanks.

The one in Houston I already called about a week ago. The price would have been perfect for me in the stock form. If you look at all the pics the first one was with the bike stock. The then destroyed a perfectly good bike by installing frame sliders through the bodywork, lopping off the rear fender, adding a crappy exhaust and some half assed turn signals. I doubt they will ever get that kind of money now on a bastardized bike.

Quote:
fleabay parts...

I'll give them a call.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #11 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Thanks Jim. I may just do a road trip. Are they open on weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Wow Cycles in GA has 2 of them, an 95 blk/purp and a 97 red
WOW International
That 97 Red model looks like a candidate. I'll put that on the maybe list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnceguy View Post
What parts do you actually need? Steele's Cycle Salvage here in Colorado has 900rr parts, saw them just a few days ago. three-o-three 781-5 three three 9 is the number (encripted, lol). Good Luck!!
Basically all the bodywork, brackets, headlight, front fender and related parts. Front controls, levers, switches. Left footpegs, both, turnsignals....

The list is extensive, which is why a whole bike will cost me less money and I'll have all the other parts left over for spares!

At this point, unless I can get all the parts in one place a whole new bike is the way to go.

post #12 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Here is what I am dealing with. Look at the picture at the top of the page, that is the before.

These are the after;

post #13 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #14 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

PFFFT A little super glue, a little duct tape it'll be good as new

Dan
post #15 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 PM
MAM Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
That 97 Red model looks like a candidate. I'll put that on the maybe list.
Let me know if you want me to go look at it for any reason. WOW is about 15 minutes from my house.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #16 of 38 Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Those guys are always too expensive! Let me know if you need some help with it. I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you and help out in any way I can.

post #17 of 38 Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Damn nice find. Unfortunately it is a 93 and in Canada, but if I was looking for a clean one that is definitely IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorrager View Post
Let me know if you want me to go look at it for any reason. WOW is about 15 minutes from my house.
Yes please! Looking mostly for signs of neglect in those hard to clean "hidden" places that most buyers don't look for. Fluid leaks. Check the condition of the forks and the braking system. Does the lever feel mushy or have good stiff feel to it? etc. Also hoping for no wiring butchery for aftermarket signals, lights, etc. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Those guys are always too expensive! Let me know if you need some help with it. I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you and help out in any way I can.
Thanks for the offer. I would have flown down there in a second if they hadn't gone and messed up a perfectly good bike. Now if it was in the current condition and only $3500 +/- I would consider it. I can't believe they took an almost perfect stock bike that is 14 years old and gave it the racer wannabe treatment. *sigh*

post #18 of 38 Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Have you checked on new part availability? I got tired of looking for a new fender for my 1996 F3 and ended up ordering a new one. It wasn't that bad on price and it saved me a lot of time and gas money searching for one.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #19 of 38 Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

post #20 of 38 Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Have you checked on new part availability? I got tired of looking for a new fender for my 1996 F3 and ended up ordering a new one. It wasn't that bad on price and it saved me a lot of time and gas money searching for one.
Yep. The problem is in the details. If it was just bodywork I would have it on by now. I need everything from the front end. Just the headlight, radiator and fan alone are close to $1000. The brackets for the headlight, gauges, fuses plus all the relays were destroyed, both mirrors, levers etc. The little pieces add up to the biggest amount. The total replacement off all affected parts with new stuff as of last year was close to $6000 hence the ebay quest.

I have been looking weekly for these parts. What I have found is a bunch of junk for sale just barely in better shape than the parts I have after I bounced off a deer at 70mph. I'm not stuck on the bodywork color so any color bike will do. The bodywork I can get, it is the other stuff that adds up. Buying a whole bike makes the most sense right now for time and ease.

I just got back from Columbus looking at bike shops down there I had no luck.

post #21 of 38 Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

1997 CBR 900RR $3600 obo

1997 HONDA CBR 900RR

post #22 of 38 Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the links Kristen and Jim. They are all candidates. I spent the better part of the night searching craigslist within an 800 mile radius. I found 2 examples of my exact bike that just listed today. One in Philly (6 hours!!! away) and one in Southwest Michigan! I emailed both for details and phone numbers. Hoping to have another cbr by the weekend. I'm still looking though. Craigslist guys are notoriously flaky. I have been waiting for over a week for a guy to provide me with just the bare minimum of details on the bike. He left a phone number but has not got back to me and I'm still waiting on an email reply from a couple days ago.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help a guy out!

post #23 of 38 Old 03-27-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I'm leaving early tomorrow morning to go pick up my new (to me) CBR900 in Philadelphia. I found 2 different ones for sale and this one looks like the nicest of the 2. By noon tomorrow I should be on my way back home with my parts bike.

Thanks for all the effort people. You have all been helpful.

post #24 of 38 Old 03-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Great to hear. Same color scheme? How many miles on it?

Spoiler:

post #25 of 38 Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I know this isn't what you want but, it is the nicest crb 900 I have ever seen.

http://www.isell.com/calgary_ab-rs48...4/ad46892.html

Spoiler:

post #26 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Great to hear. Same color scheme? How many miles on it?
Yes. I picked it up yesterday. 800 mile round trip with half of it in the rain of course. The bike has 22k miles which is far less than half of the miles mine has on it. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy selling it that his bike is going to be a donor bike for mine, he was so proud of it. His little boy even cried when we loaded the bike up to take home. Here is a pic of it crammed in my garage.

Quote:
I know this isn't what you want but, it is the nicest crb 900 I have ever seen.

http://www.isell.com/calgary_ab-rs48...4/ad46892.html
Not my taste, but I applaud the amount of effort this must have taken.

post #27 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Yes. I picked it up yesterday. 800 mile round trip with half of it in the rain of course. The bike has 22k miles which is far less than half of the miles mine has on it. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy selling it that his bike is going to be a donor bike for mine, he was so proud of it. His little boy even cried when we loaded the bike up to take home. Here is a pic of it crammed in my garage.
So why part out his bike to fix yours? I'd ride the new one and have the deer wrecked bike for parts.

post #28 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Sike

Quote:
So why part out his bike to fix yours? I'd ride the new one and have the deer wrecked bike for parts.
Me too!

post #29 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Optio

Totally agree with that. Just swap out the wheels to get your nicely painted ones on there, then swap out any mods you want to keep.

post #30 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
the guy I got the bike from was the 4th owner. He was your typical boulevard riding squid. He owned the bike for 4 years and put on about 4000 miles. The true condition of the motor is unknown. I know my bike. I have owned it since new and done all the required maint. and then some. I have checked the valves and compression and leak down on my bike. I don't want to be half way to Alaska and have some sort of mechanical problem that is a surprise.

I know my bike can break just the same, but I would be bummed out 1 week into a month long trip if I was stuck with a problem that could cost days or more to repair.

I also have the knowledge of having ridden my bike through 45 states that this will be the last and final long trip for this bike. It is one of my goals.

I know what you mean however. Looking at a bike that looks ready to go vs. all the work I have to do, it is a hard choice. But I would have to completely tear down this new bike anyway to clean and inspect all the bearings, seals, hoses, wiring etc. So either way I am taking the bike apart.

If I just wanted a new bike to ride to Alaska a 1996 anything would be my last choice. I would have chosen something more suited for the trip, like a BMW GS or a KLR or even another sportbike that isn't 14 years old.

post #31 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the find.

I'd make a donor out of it too. With all of the miles you put on yours you need to finish the job with it.

Good luck.

post #32 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Congrats on the find.

I'd make a donor out of it too. With all of the miles you put on yours you need to finish the job with it.

Good luck.
Hellz ya!

post #33 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Hellz ya!
It just wouldn't be the same hitting the rest of the states with another bike. Build that bitch back and finish the task you started.

When you take it to Alaska you're going to need another bike as a standby so we can ship you stuff that falls off.

post #34 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Congrats on the find.

Good luck.
I totally agree. I would do the last of the states on the same bike if possible.

Spoiler:

post #35 of 38 Old 03-30-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I totally agree. I would do the last of the states on the same bike if possible.
That is the plan. Hope to tear into both bikes this weekend.

post #36 of 38 Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Hellz ya!
Quote:
It just wouldn't be the same hitting the rest of the states with another bike. Build that bitch back and finish the task you started.

When you take it to Alaska you're going to need another bike as a standby so we can ship you stuff that falls off.
and this time i hope no forest critters stand in your way.......

post #37 of 38 Old 03-31-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
and this time i hope no forest critters stand in your way.......
Me too!!! The forest critters up that way are a lot bigger and some of them even eat motorcyclists.

post #38 of 38 Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Me too!!! The forest critters up that way are a lot bigger and some of them even eat motorcyclists.
Hell with the creatures. The mosquitoes alone can destroy your bike.

Spoiler:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode