Need earplug suggestions - Better than Nonoise - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth_Firebolt
  • 1 Post By Superdog

post #1 of 17 Old 09-07-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Need earplug suggestions - Better than Nonoise

I've been using the same pair of Nonoise plugs for the last 3 years, and I don't think they have gotten any worse but they weren't great to begin with. Has anyone found any earplugs that work better than Nonoise, or are my expectations just too high?

For reference I wear either a Shark Skwal or HJC RPHA 11, both of them supposedly among the quietest helmets on the market, and with both of them it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel when riding on the highway. I'm fairly certain that after 3 years of using the Nonoise, I've gotten the hang of getting them plugged into my ears correctly.

Also: does anyone run active noise-cancelling ear buds in place of earplugs? I'm considering getting rid of my Sena comms units altogether, and ANC ear buds seem like they'd kill two birds with one stone.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Discen

I use Pinkock filtered earplugs.
I really like them.
Similar concept as the No Noise, so they may not be much different?

They reduce wind/road noise but still allow you to hear vital sounds and my Sena.

I have a Shoei RF-SR.
There is a significant difference in wind noise when wearing them at highway speeds.
But it’s the first and only earplug I’ve ever used, so I don’t have a frame of reference to compare to others.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pinlock-earplugs

post #3 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 AM
Pokemon Master

I use whatever I can get in a box from Grainger with a NRR of 32 or higher and no filtering. There's no loss of traffic awareness after you get used to them. I have stock exhausts on all of my motorcycles, but realized about 20 years ago that wind noise causes more deafness and fatigue during a long day of riding than loud exhausts. A big way to cut down on wind noise is to get a "sock" for the bottom of your helmet to seal around your neck.

I have not had good luck with the reusable rubber or silicone ear plugs. They stick out too far and contact the helmet, causing conduction of the airflow over the helmet noise directly into my skull.
rufftup likes this.

2007 919, 2013 CB500X, 2009 Buell XB12R, 20+ bicycles

post #4 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 11:42 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
I use Pinkock filtered earplugs.
I really like them.
Similar concept as the No Noise, so they may not be much different?

They reduce wind/road noise but still allow you to hear vital sounds and my Sena.

I have a Shoei RF-SR.
There is a significant difference in wind noise when wearing them at highway speeds.
But itís the first and only earplug Iíve ever used, so I donít have a frame of reference to compare to others.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pinlock-earplugs
I have the pinlocks too, and they work really well. My only issue with them is getting them to stay in. I have small ear canals, which may be part of the problem.
Spike28659 likes this.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #5 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Brain stolen again?

How do these earplugs affect your ability to hear sirens and horns?

ďI said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #6 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I can still hear them fine with the Pinlocks.
Granted everything is quieter.
When off the bike with them in and helmet on you can hold a conversation, can’t hear as good as normal but well enough to hear and talk.

If you ride a lot and at highway speeds, I can’t see how they are not protecting you from long term damage.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
I have the pinlocks too, and they work really well. My only issue with them is getting them to stay in. I have small ear canals, which may be part of the problem.
I have large ear canals.
I wear the large size and they fit perfect.
Never have any issues with them not staying put, and they are very comfortable during a day of riding.
My wife wears the small size and they fit perfect for her.

I just have the basic Sena speakers and they actually make the sound quality better.
They make it less shrilly, granted you do have to turn the volume up louder.
But can still hear the music at 90 mph.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
I cannot hear my SMH10R's at anything above 60mph with the Nonoise plugs. Sounds like there are indeed better options on the market. Thanks guys!

Al
post #9 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Semper Vigilo

I use the old Max Lite foam plugs. Throw a pair away every week or so once they are dirty. Can hear my Sena at 70mph no problem. Wear a Shoei RF1100.
Tried a couple of different styles of the custom molded plugs, but after more than 20 minutes, they hurt my ears.
For me the foam ones are cheap and i just keep an extra set in my jacket.
https://bhpsafetyproducts.com/produc...gn=sag_organic

post #10 of 17 Old 09-10-2020, 06:26 PM
Awesomeness, Inc.

I’ve worked in a bunch of manufacturing jobs and tried a bunch of earplugs. These are the best I found. They are soft and have very little pressure on the ear canal. I wear them on the bike (with a Sena) and I sleep with them in every night. A couple years ago picked up a 200-pair pack on eBay for like $12 and still have most of them left.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-E-A-R-E-A-.../dp/B00IA7HT8G

post #11 of 17 Old 09-11-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
I'm super conflicted on that Amazon link. The picture says "1000 Pack", but the price-per-unit shows $4.00/100, but then the packaging info says the quantity is 200. So its either $.04/pc, $.20/pc or $4/pc. Either way pretty damn cheap but man I wish I knew which it was.

Al
post #12 of 17 Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Awesomeness, Inc.

Here’s a 200 pair pack for $28. I would double check with the seller to make sure they’re all individually bagged in pairs. I keep a couple pairs in each jacket and under the seat. If you google search that 312-1256 number it brings up a lot of sellers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Ear-Soft...x/303225853015

post #13 of 17 Old 09-13-2020, 03:54 PM
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
It's easier for me to hear the sirens through my Sena and earplugs than it is for me to hear the sirens over HVAC, rolled up windows (not even the low noise windows like BMW and Mercedes advertise), and whatever my wife has on the radio when we drive somewhere.

2007 919, 2013 CB500X, 2009 Buell XB12R, 20+ bicycles
post #14 of 17 Old 09-14-2020, 06:35 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I use Bose QC20 active noise cancelling headphones. They outperform the foam earplugs by quite the margin. I'd guess that some would complain of it being TOO quiet. You cannot hear anything. You won't hear a siren until it's right behind you. They were amazing for doing 10-12 hours a day on the highway cutting across the country, listening to my tunes plugged into my comms though. They stay in my ears and are comfortable.

post #15 of 17 Old 09-14-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I use Bose QC20 active noise cancelling headphones. They outperform the foam earplugs by quite the margin. I'd guess that some would complain of it being TOO quiet. You cannot hear anything. You won't hear a siren until it's right behind you. They were amazing for doing 10-12 hours a day on the highway cutting across the country, listening to my tunes plugged into my comms though. They stay in my ears and are comfortable.
I read through a whole thread about these on the ADVRider forums. I don't mind the wires, but I'm concerned about losing controls for music and calls that I've got with my Sena unit. How's that work with the QC20's?

Al
post #16 of 17 Old 09-14-2020, 08:02 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Instead of the speakers, I have the headphones plugged into the unit. I can still use all the controls on my cardo unit.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

post #17 of 17 Old 09-16-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Instead of the speakers, I have the headphones plugged into the unit. I can still use all the controls on my cardo unit.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Agh, well the Bose's are out. The connectors on my Sena units don't match up, and my stupid phone doesn't have a headphone jack. Foamies it is!

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode