My pilot road 2 review - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

My pilot road 2 review

Well i decided id share my thoughts of the pilot road 2's i just recently bought for my 919. But before that a little back story.

I bought my 919 5 months ago right at the end of september, a silver 04 with 3600 miles and almost brand new (80+% tread left) shinko advance 005 tires front and rear (stock sizes). I had never heard of shinko before but hey the price was right on the bike and tires really are not that expensive. So i got the bike and started getting used to it but quickly realized that the shinkos were not sticking to the road at all... many times i had the front push on me, and the rear would spin under very minor acceleration when going around turns. So i started letting air out... i got to 32-36 (front and rear respectively) and they became pretty good... still had slippage problems but eh i thought it was just me being a goon on the bike. Fast forward 4 months to a coupla weeks ago and i noticed... holly crap my rear is like almost completely worn out... and not just in the center over the whole width of the tire the wear lines were just about even. so i continued to ride for another 2 weeks until i was done, the rear was essentially bald over the whole tire but the front wasnt half bad... minor cupping. SO i figured eh ill replace the front and rear at the same time and start fresh... i hated the shinkos anyways. So yesterday i got my bike up, tires off and went and bought a set of stock sized PR2's.

When i showed up to my local dealer after making sure they had them i was very surprised, they had TONS of PR2's must be a popular tire. Now i had my qualms about the tire, its a sport touring tire and the shinko was in a "sport bike catagory"... well i thought to myself... i guess ill trust the reviews i have read on the PR2's. I went over to the stack at the dealer and when i grabbed the first tire i instantly noticed how soft the carcass was, but i still held my doubts.

$301.09 later got me out the door with tax, mounting and balancing... better than any internet price i could find minus the mounting. I got home and popped the suckers on my bike deflated them down to 30psi in the front and 34 in the rear (i had the shinkos down at 24 and 28 in the last weeks of their life) and took her for a quick ride down the street to the gas station as it was getting dark and i just wanted to make sure everything was copacetic.

I got out onto the main street and INSTANTLY noticed that i was right about the soft carcass... even though both front and rear were 6 psi higher than what i ran the shinkos at the ride was softer, and the bike seemed more planted... i thought to myself... ME LIKIE! Heck the things didnt act like a normal new tire feeling all greasy and sliperly when new before they get scrubbed. So i parked my 919 and went to the gf's house for the night.

Now mainly ride up in the twisties of the Santa Monica Mountians here in so cal and hardly do any straight line commuting type stuff, i am not one of those guys that can drag knee on demand or haul ass but i have fun at a spirited pace. I got home from my GF's house and went im going on a ride... its the "middle of winter" here in so cal.. a nice 85*F day out so why not. I went to my favorite spot dubbed "The snake" a tight twisty road of beautiful smooth pavement. On my way there i noticed that again the bike seemed more planted and smoother riding, it wasnt nearly as nervous over bumps as it was before or as nervous at speed on the freeway. I proceeded up decker canyon to mulholland taking it somewhat easy as to scrub the entire tire in and i was amazed. The tires just gripped. It was maybe 10 turns in that chicken strips were COMPLETELY GONE... the shinkos had never inspired as much confidence and had a good 3/8ths of an inch on either side both front and rear of chicken strip, even after the 2000mi i put on them (ya they only lasted 2000 mi biggest pos's ever). Throughout the day i found myself becoming much MUCH more confident on my 919 with these PR2's. Not ONCE did i have the front push like they would of done with the shinkos had i been riding as hard as i was... and the rear acted like it was glued to the road. I had a HARD time keeping the front end down coming out of corners where before the rear would have just spun. By the end of the day and with about 75miles on the PR2's i was convinced. These tires were AMAZING worth EVERY penny i spent on em.

only time will tell how long they last but right now if they lasted only 2000 mi id be happy!

Michelin Pilot Road 2's +1!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

How many miles did RobTharlson get out of his?

I have 6,000+ on the rear and 7,500+ on the front. They look to be a little more than half worn.

EDIT: As for chicken strips, I still have about 1/8th inch or so on each side. The little Michelin man is just getting a little chewed up.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

no clue how many miles got out of his but id imagine they will get much more than the craptastic shinkos i had on before.

Yesterday i had never dragged as much peg in my life on my 70mi ride... maybe once or twice on the shinkos... with these pr2's i was leaning over way far haha.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 11:08 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

He last posted a 10,000 mile update...

https://wristtwisters.com/aftermarket...tml#post233247

...and expected them to last until 14,000 miles.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM
The Cripple

seems u and i got the same tires over the same weekend. i have to say my review is right on par with yours. i've only ridden my bike twice now with the new tires (last night was a 5 min ride and it already felt a world of difference). i have yet to play with air pressure (was dark, v-day, girl was there, she was nice enough to understand that i needed to get the rims back onto the bike so i could commute today, didnt want to push my luck). the tires are rock hard right now (grrr), i think they're around 38 psi most likely. even then, the tires still felt pretty planted. i have a nice pair of s curves on my commute every morning and if traffic flow is not severe, the ability to dodge in and out of traffic while on those curves=fun. the last few weeks i've been taking it at about 65-70 wet or dry, and that was with me getting puckered up sometimes without even trying to dodge in and out of traffic. the front kept wanting to drift on me while the rear wouldnt break traction but still be squirrely on me. the rear finally let go on weds night and i knew i was riding on borrowed time as it started to just slide around a bit. they were pilot powers btw.

the new ones, i have maybe 20 miles on them. the first 5 or so this morning i spent just taking it easy and making sure the tires warmed up while scrubbing what i could. by the time i got to the first s curve, i was doing 70 and playing with the tires a bit trying to get a feel for them. by the 2nd s curve, i was doing 100 dodging in and out of traffic. the feeling was great! front end still feels a lack of feedback (gonna play with psi there, and then throw on my f4i forks soon), the rear was a jackhammer but it still gripped. i love em! i paid around $350 for mine mounted/balanced (paid extra to ensure i got my rims back in time due to a very busy demand for tires over the weekend). i see myself getting in trouble with these tires... : /

post #6 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

if you just put them on yesterday, take it easy, break them in.
I had Shinko Advance 005 for about 5k and they aren't that bad overall and actually pretty good/sticky in the rain. Shinko is old Yokohoma, they bought yoko motorcycle devision, made it better and keep improving it. Yoko bike tires used to be total garbage. I won't be surprised if in 5-10 years or so, Shinko will be up there, next to Metzeler.

To sum this all up: I switched to pilot powers 2ct Nice choice with tires man, they will be my next set, I just want to see how long PP 2ct will last

post #7 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
He last posted a 10,000 mile update...

https://wristtwisters.com/aftermarket...tml#post233247

...and expected them to last until 14,000 miles.
Holly hell! if i get 7k out of mine ill be MORE than happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
seems u and i got the same tires over the same weekend. i have to say my review is right on par with yours. i've only ridden my bike twice now with the new tires (last night was a 5 min ride and it already felt a world of difference). i have yet to play with air pressure (was dark, v-day, girl was there, she was nice enough to understand that i needed to get the rims back onto the bike so i could commute today, didnt want to push my luck). the tires are rock hard right now (grrr), i think they're around 38 psi most likely. even then, the tires still felt pretty planted. i have a nice pair of s curves on my commute every morning and if traffic flow is not severe, the ability to dodge in and out of traffic while on those curves=fun. the last few weeks i've been taking it at about 65-70 wet or dry, and that was with me getting puckered up sometimes without even trying to dodge in and out of traffic. the front kept wanting to drift on me while the rear wouldnt break traction but still be squirrely on me. the rear finally let go on weds night and i knew i was riding on borrowed time as it started to just slide around a bit. they were pilot powers btw.

the new ones, i have maybe 20 miles on them. the first 5 or so this morning i spent just taking it easy and making sure the tires warmed up while scrubbing what i could. by the time i got to the first s curve, i was doing 70 and playing with the tires a bit trying to get a feel for them. by the 2nd s curve, i was doing 100 dodging in and out of traffic. the feeling was great! front end still feels a lack of feedback (gonna play with psi there, and then throw on my f4i forks soon), the rear was a jackhammer but it still gripped. i love em! i paid around $350 for mine mounted/balanced (paid extra to ensure i got my rims back in time due to a very busy demand for tires over the weekend). i see myself getting in trouble with these tires... : /
Heck ya man, although any wet type of wet roads makes my ass pucker big time... dont get much in the way of wet riding out here in so cal. Did another 100miles on the tires today and i still have yet to make the front push, or the rear spin in a turn... hell i stopped to talk to Paul of rock store photo (a guy who goes out on "The Snake" every weekend to take pictures of guys) and he was like... damn dude you were railing today much more than the last times i have seen you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
if you just put them on yesterday, take it easy, break them in.
I had Shinko Advance 005 for about 5k and they aren't that bad overall and actually pretty good/sticky in the rain. Shinko is old Yokohoma, they bought yoko motorcycle devision, made it better and keep improving it. Yoko bike tires used to be total garbage. I won't be surprised if in 5-10 years or so, Shinko will be up there, next to Metzeler.

To sum this all up: I switched to pilot powers 2ct Nice choice with tires man, they will be my next set, I just want to see how long PP 2ct will last
The shinkos were absolute utter crap even down at 24 28 they gripped NO where near what these PR2's do... and the rear lasted all of 2000 mi.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Centurion

I just got PR2's also but 60 inches of snow keeps them in the garage. Paid $337 OTD with tax, mount, balance, & pickup & delivery. The shop that installed them is the next town over about 25 miles away. They came to my door, took my wheels, then brought them back with new PR2's mounted. Everyone here talked about what a horrid price that was so at least you guys got screwed as bad as me @ $300 & $350

I got about 7,000 miles out of my last Pilot Powers so I hope these last twice that.

Thanks for the review, can't wait to try mine.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

like i said i paid 301.01 out the door mounting and balanced... i couldnt find a price any less online with shipping... and that was without mounting or balancing which is crucial.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i am running bridgestone bt021's on the vfr... and they are another awesome choice......

glad you like the new shoes..... i had a shitko rear on my 919 for a short period of time until a nail finally did it in and made me happy

post #11 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Pilus Posterior

Around the NZ$600 mark fitted for a pair in New Zealand. And worth every bit of it

I've noticed you USA chaps run much lower tyre pressures then we do - I'm running 36 front 39 rear - our roads are course chip and pretty hard on the tyres. If you run them too low you'll just shread them - and severely cup the fronts.

6,500 kms so far on my pair of PR2's and it looks like I'll get near that out of the rear again. Of note the OEM tyres were dead at 6,000.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Saw this today on another forum. PR2's for $249 shipped. Never bought from them but good prices.

OnAnyMoto

post #13 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I think I was about 15 when my dad told me:

There is no such thing as too much tire for a motorcycle.
You can have not enough tire, but you will never have too much tire.

I tend to agree with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode