My bike decided to take a nap, with me on it! - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
jonmo89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 1
 
My bike decided to take a nap, with me on it!

Anyway, yeah, I crashed a few weeks ago. It was a slow left turn, and it was wet out. The rear began slipping most likely due to some oil, so I decided not to overact because I've had it happen in the past and just stayed steady and it would fix it self. well, it didn't, the rear started to slip off to the right and then would come back in line. It did this about 3 times in 3 seconds and the last one slammed me into the ground with my bike sliding onto the shoulder and me ending up crawling to the edge.

A few people stopped and helped me pick my bike back up, I assessed myself and my bike and told them I would be ok, thanked them and they left. I let the bike sit for a bit while everything began to hurt, and then eventually started the bike and rode the few miles home.

Bodily damage: Smashed middle finger (no wonder it hurt to pull in the clutch...), banged knee, pulled my shoulder, other knee a bit bruised and left ankles got a knot in it. So all in all I got away ok, I was geared up and there's a big gash on the left arm and back of my armored jacket (tecknic freestyle I think?), helmet never hit the ground, gloves a bit rashed but no damage where my finger got pinched. My regular pants had a very small hole in them, I was surprised but they are no-rip ones I bought when I was on a dig on Montana.

Bike damage: Yoshimura left can has some rash, a few small gouges on my swingarm/chain tensioner, left side case has some serious rash but still holds, bar end mirror was snapped, left Hong Kong lever has stress cracks so that has to go, and the Pièce de résistance...



Well that wasn't there before. I guess I'll have to cover it some how...



I did this while I was waiting for my knee/finger to feel better, just so it wouldn't rust. After about a week the swelling on my finger went down (It was rather huge for awhile), and my knee started feeling better I did this.



and then this...



It's not super symmetrical and I know it's electrical tape (it's what I had?), but I think it looks ok...I was going to find some vinyl but I've worked with it before I just don't feel like messing with it, but maybe later when this stuff eventually peels off. I did the side lines to of course cover the dent, as well as the big rubbed off area on the rear fairing. I replaced the left lever with my oem one, and put on my dads old 1980 GS800 mirrors for now until I order some new ones.

I would be riding but my rear wheel bearings are toast, I actually think that's what prevented me from re-gaining control. There wasn't enough lateral momentum in the fall to make them fail, at least I don't think so, so that's what I'm blaming If I knew they were messed up/close to messing up I wouldn't have been out riding. I don't think my bearings being messed up would have caused the rear to slip would it?

Anyway, anyone have any ideas on how to hide this dent or did I do the best I could? I of course don't have the money for a new tank, or a paint job, but could I order some touch up paint and fill at least the chipped area effectively? I'm thinking of order some vinyl in the spring so I could do a better job/design, heh. I'm all better now for the most part, I just want those bearings to get here so I can ride the last few days that it's above freezing!

jonmo89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmo89 View Post
Anyway, yeah, I crashed a few weeks ago. It was a slow left turn, and it was wet out. The rear began slipping most likely due to some oil, so I decided not to overact because I've had it happen in the past and just stayed steady and it would fix it self. well, it didn't, the rear started to slip off to the right and then would come back in line. It did this about 3 times in 3 seconds and the last one slammed me into the ground with my bike sliding onto the shoulder and me ending up crawling to the edge.

A few people stopped and helped me pick my bike back up, I assessed myself and my bike and told them I would be ok, thanked them and they left. I let the bike sit for a bit while everything began to hurt, and then eventually started the bike and rode the few miles home.

Bodily damage: Smashed middle finger (no wonder it hurt to pull in the clutch...), banged knee, pulled my shoulder, other knee a bit bruised and left ankles got a knot in it. So all in all I got away ok, I was geared up and there's a big gash on the left arm and back of my armored jacket (tecknic freestyle I think?), helmet never hit the ground, gloves a bit rashed but no damage where my finger got pinched. My regular pants had a very small hole in them, I was surprised but they are no-rip ones I bought when I was on a dig on Montana.

Bike damage: Yoshimura left can has some rash, a few small gouges on my swingarm/chain tensioner, left side case has some serious rash but still holds, bar end mirror was snapped, left Hong Kong lever has stress cracks so that has to go, and the Pièce de résistance...



Well that wasn't there before. I guess I'll have to cover it some how...



I did this while I was waiting for my knee/finger to feel better, just so it wouldn't rust. After about a week the swelling on my finger went down (It was rather huge for awhile), and my knee started feeling better I did this.



and then this...



It's not super symmetrical and I know it's electrical tape (it's what I had?), but I think it looks ok...I was going to find some vinyl but I've worked with it before I just don't feel like messing with it, but maybe later when this stuff eventually peels off. I did the side lines to of course cover the dent, as well as the big rubbed off area on the rear fairing. I replaced the left lever with my oem one, and put on my dads old 1980 GS800 mirrors for now until I order some new ones.

I would be riding but my rear wheel bearings are toast, I actually think that's what prevented me from re-gaining control. There wasn't enough lateral momentum in the fall to make them fail, at least I don't think so, so that's what I'm blaming If I knew they were messed up/close to messing up I wouldn't have been out riding. I don't think my bearings being messed up would have caused the rear to slip would it?

Anyway, anyone have any ideas on how to hide this dent or did I do the best I could? I of course don't have the money for a new tank, or a paint job, but could I order some touch up paint and fill at least the chipped area effectively? I'm thinking of order some vinyl in the spring so I could do a better job/design, heh. I'm all better now for the most part, I just want those bearings to get here so I can ride the last few days that it's above freezing!

With a wobbly rear due to bad wheel bearings anything like that is possible. Its also very likly suspension settings could of caused it as well.

But more than likely its what you said, just crappy slippery conditions.

I do like the way you made it blend in though... I just got lazy and literally put a bandaid over the tank dent i got.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 04:10 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,656
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

That sucks! Glad you made it through it alright, the bike can be repaired...

rmb is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
jonmo89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 1
 
Heh, I'll probably never replace/repair it, and eventually sell it how it stands when I'm done with it. Keeping it for at least another 1 1/2 years, most likely 3 due to college, so I'm not too worried about it being beat up cause it's got a hard few years ahead of itself! I might pick up a better looking sidecase if one pops up though.

My bearings are supposed to be coming today, but it's in the low 30's all week so I'm not sure when I"ll get that done. Here's hoping there's a few more 40's+ days left, I still ride if it's below but it's just not as fun...

jonmo89 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
duc duc GOOSE!
 
HondaCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 946
Rep Power: 1
 
Glad u r ok!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
HondaCrazy is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Former 919er
 
Ottawa919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,872
Blog Entries: 9
Rep Power: 1
 
Glad you are ok. Worn bearing could have been a factor for sure.

Did you spot prime the tank rash? I might be concerned that some moisture will find it's was under the tape and have perfect conditions for rust. Perhaps the tape is good enough of a seal that this won't happen.

Ottawa919 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
...is a Nihonjin.
 
Shmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,573
Rep Power: 1
 
Glad you're all right. How many miles are on the bearings?

Shmoo is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
jonmo89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 1
 
Thanks for all the well wishing. The bearings are stock I'm assuming, so they only have a little over 10k miles on them, that's why I was surprised. I didn't spot prime the tank though, I've never had to take care of something like that so I just put the tape over it, maybe I'll look into it.

jonmo89 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Brain stolen again?
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,365
Rep Power: 1
 
Well, bikes do like taking naps now and then. It's a sad but inevitable phenom, but one many if not all of us have faced before.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
Bigdaa is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
yzarc mi os
 
Poorboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 883
Rep Power: 1
 
i got a heater in my garage. if you never get around to it.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
Poorboy is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
jonmo89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
i got a heater in my garage. if you never get around to it.
Thanks a lot for the offer, if it was something more time consuming I'd definitely consider it . I've got a pseudo garage (car port if you will), but I've gotten used to working in the weather. I might do it tomorrow if I decide to, if not I think it's supposed to be in the 40's Saturday or Sunday, It's really just time that's not on my side with finals coming up. I'm actually sitting in the library at UMSL right now so I should probably get back to work!

jonmo89 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Canyon Junkie
 
919rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 140
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Glad ur ok! Its no fun when they fall asleep!

Are we having fun yet?
919rocket is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
jonmo89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919rocket View Post
Glad ur ok! Its no fun when they fall asleep!
It sure isn't! This was really the first time I had a crash this hard, although relatively it wasn't that, it was the force I was slammed down with that surprised me. I did lowside my 1985 GS700ES 3 or so years ago, but that was a lot more gentle .

I got the bearings in yesterday, going to wait for the weekend and go for a longer ride. No more play in the rear wheel so I'm glad it's fixed. Just have to adjust the chain and I'm off! I did have some trouble getting the spacer inside the sprocket carrier off that bearing, but a 5/8 socket and hammer solved that.

In related news, my finger no longer hurts, but it still feels weird and is still twice as large as the other one. Right arm still aches if I turn it weird sometimes. Knee is almost totally good, but I won't be surprised if it gives me problems in 30 or so years as I've hit it pretty good before.

jonmo89 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome