Motovlogger “Beginner” Bike build series - Honda 919 - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By PC1978
  • 1 Post By SquirrelNut
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
PC1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 1
 
Fairly Popular Motovlogger, Yammie Noob (258k YouTube Subcribers), decided to do a build series for a beginner bike.

The bike would be chosen, purchased, and built through a Patreon account; with all Patreons involved in the decision making processes for all steps along the way.

I believe the finished motorcycle will then be given away.

He put out a video yesterday and the bike they chose was none other than a Honda 919.
Of course, he is already catching hell in the comments for picking a 919 as a beginner bike.

https://youtu.be/HLJQS7aEusY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HLJQS7aEusY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PC1978 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Raleigh, NC Moto-vlogger
 
SonicMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
oh dear god, that's anything but a starter bike. I'm shocked he put it in the list to be voted....then again, he's not the smartest individual on 2 wheels from what I've seen...

Thanks,
Sonic Moto
SonicMoto is offline  
Old 10-27-2018, 03:02 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,995
Rep Power: 1
 
I too think that's a bad idea. A 919 as a beginner bike. Sure it's fairly tame, reliable and predictable but it's also got a lot of torque and is too heavy for a beginner.

Islandboy is offline  
 
Old 10-27-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
PC1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 1
 
If the “beginner” is a mature person, with good judgement, a good (while aggressive) car driver, at least in their late 20’s; it will probably be fine.

If they are a typical 20 yr old, who wants a bike to go fast as hell from the first second they get on, but not very mature; probably not a great idea.
ewmin3m likes this.

PC1978 is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Centurion
 
ewmin3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,363
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
i had the 9er as my second bike... up from the cb-1 399cc smurf blue bike :P

i was the begginer mature person 24yo though, so maybe i'm the exception.

ewmin3m is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:30 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,995
Rep Power: 1
 
Perfect second bike. I loved that feeling you get when you shift from a smaller bike to a more powerful unit.
I'm nearly fifty and the hornet 900 still brings the inner hoon in me out.

Islandboy is offline  
Old 11-03-2018, 05:46 PM
The Instigator
 
Ditch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,191
Rep Power: 1
 
I tried to watch but too boring. Jaret Campisi's channel is far more entertaining and most of us could learn a lot from his mechanic.

https://youtu.be/bCaT_et6FMM

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
Ditch is offline  
Old 11-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Centurion
 
ewmin3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,363
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
I can see why, motorcycles, mechanics and bewbs :P lolol




Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I tried to watch but too boring. Jaret Campisi's channel is far more entertaining and most of us could learn a lot from his mechanic.

https://youtu.be/bCaT_et6FMM

ewmin3m is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 AM
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,999
Rep Power: 1
 
So he's in TX and he got a "semi-modified" 919 with an "engine knock" and he paid $1,500.00?

Right out of the starting gate, he should have paid $2,500~3,000 and got a nice one.

Anyone trying to save a buck on a 1st bike and getting one with a knock at 1/2 the going rate for a great one is just foolish.

Why would most new riders want to deal with a bike that hasn't been properly maintained? When I got mine, the chain showed it wasn't properly maintained, but I not a noob and I know how to spin wrenches.

I really wish he would have looked around for a $3K bike and got a great one. So much value compared to Ducati and ZRX @ $3K.

What could go wrong with this?

My first was a Nighthawk 700S and I think that was a bit much for a 1st bike.

EDIT: Just watch part 2 and 3. Timing chain tensioner and valve check/adjust? Replace the throttle control over a screw stripped?

Not so easy to watch, but I really want to see how it comes out.

KarlJay is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,995
Rep Power: 1
 
Ditch is right. That guy is boring to watch.

Islandboy is offline  
Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Discen
 
Avispao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oviedo, Spain
Posts: 228
Rep Power: 1
 
I hate all that youtubers that do everything as if nobody have done it before.


Hey mom, look at me, i know how to ride a bike... Hey, i know how to fix a bike, and i show you.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

...
aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

Avispao is offline  
Old 11-06-2018, 05:31 PM
SomeGuySomehwere
 
SquirrelNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 1
 
I have to say:
1) Yammie has almost died, violently, twice. Not a good role model.
2) The 919 was my first bike, but I'm 6'3" and can pick it up (465 lbs!). Also way over 20. &#x1f609;
3) Lighter bikes (250-300 lb) are a lot more fun to play on, for any other noobs reading this.

Also, I love this group.
ewmin3m likes this.

SquirrelNut is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 AM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,995
Rep Power: 1
 
A Yammie rag-dolling above a highway. Shit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _sDPpGQM4TMOlDbVtuxssnjxWQWFJ1wsdbo4Ngwsabk_1541577850057.jpg (17.6 KB, 15 views)

Islandboy is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,213
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
A Yammie rag-dolling above a highway. Shit!
Holy shit!

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
PC1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 1
 
Yeah, he definitely is a controversial figure in the moto-vlog/motorcycle community.

He has had those two accidents due to his own recklessness and has never apologized or publicly admitted his fault/guilt.
And with the size of his following and influence there is a lot of animosity (probably rightfully so) towards him because of it.

I agree that this build series is definitely boring.
Especially when compared to some of his earlier content. Not his fortay.

When I got back onto a motorcycle earlier this year, I was soaking up all the info I could.
Started watching a variety of moto-vloggers, each with their own unique, style and points of view/approaches to their channel.

Since his second wreck, the content on his channel is not up to par with what he was putting out before.

PC1978 is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
PC1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
A Yammie rag-dolling above a highway. Shit!
He F’d up a nice yellow Porsche doing that also.

PC1978 is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,999
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
Yeah, he definitely is a controversial figure in the moto-vlog/motorcycle community.

He has had those two accidents due to his own recklessness and has never apologized or publicly admitted his fault/guilt.
And with the size of his following and influence there is a lot of animosity (probably rightfully so) towards him because of it.

I agree that this build series is definitely boring.
Especially when compared to some of his earlier content. Not his fortay.

When I got back onto a motorcycle earlier this year, I was soaking up all the info I could.
Started watching a variety of moto-vloggers, each with their own unique, style and points of view/approaches to their channel.

Since his second wreck, the content on his channel is not up to par with what he was putting out before.
Any links to his accidents? I'd like to check them out, always love a good motorcycle accident analysis.

KarlJay is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
PC1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Any links to his accidents? I'd like to check them out, always love a good motorcycle accident analysis.
Here is the accident footage. One of his riding partners looks back and captures
The footage with the Go Pro on his helmet.

Not much analysis as the crash had just happened:
https://youtu.be/5c-bUAupQqE

Here is a very popular Vlogger (1 Million subscribers)(who doesn’t like Yammie) discussing the accident and post accident handling of it:
https://youtu.be/PmkEoumBy0U

PC1978 is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 PM
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,999
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
Here is the accident footage. One of his riding partners looks back and captures
The footage with the Go Pro on his helmet.

Not much analysis as the crash had just happened:
https://youtu.be/5c-bUAupQqE

Here is a very popular Vlogger (1 Million subscribers)(who doesn’t like Yammie) discussing the accident and post accident handling of it:
https://youtu.be/PmkEoumBy0U
Wow, that's damn hard to watch. Can't really hide the fact he was way over the double yellow lines. 2nd guy was right, the driver was in clear danger and went thru hell because he crossed the line.

Awesome catch, I can't turn like that, he did a full 180 and held it just at the right time.

Anyone can screw up, but crossing the double yellow on a turn like that is just insane.

KarlJay is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 01:46 AM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,995
Rep Power: 1
 
Far out... He's lucky to be alive. So is that women driving the Porsche.

Islandboy is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 01:10 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,498
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Far out... He's lucky to be alive. So is that women driving the Porsche.
I wonder how many pieces he is in and what his prognosis is.
That was nothing short of frightening to see, let alone ponder.

mcromo44 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Centurion
 
ewmin3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,363
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
I stopped watching these guys a long time ago, as fun as it is to watch them crash due to stupidity

ewmin3m is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,995
Rep Power: 1
 
Mcromo, apparently he mended well. Which is amazing when you consider how much energy was in the crash. Both his bike and the Porsche were totalled. And he was flung end over end about 30ft in the air. Probably lucky he hit a Porsche too. A sports car with a low front and maybe a crumpled zone built in. Imagine a vehicle with a bigger, more solid grill.
Where is the engine in those Porsche models?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (6)_1541715938681.jpeg (7.5 KB, 21 views)

Islandboy is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Centurion
 
ewmin3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,363
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
All Porsches have the engine in the back, with the exception of their SUV lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Mcromo, apparently he mended well. Which is amazing when you consider how much energy was in the crash. Both his bike and the Porsche were totalled. And he was flung end over end about 30ft in the air. Probably lucky he hit a Porsche too. A sports car with a low front and maybe a crumpled zone built in. Imagine a vehicle with a bigger, more solid grill.
Where is the engine in those Porsche models?

ewmin3m is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,498
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
All Porsches have the engine in the back, with the exception of their SUV lineup
A small point, all current models, but not all models.
For example, the 928 was front engined.
ewmin3m likes this.

mcromo44 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 03:27 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,995
Rep Power: 1
 
Well maybe that was a contributing factor. No solid engine to hit.

Islandboy is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Centurion
 
ewmin3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,363
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
lol that thing. I suppose :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
A small point, all current models, but not all models.
For example, the 928 was front engined.

ewmin3m is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome