Motorcycling annoyances and gripes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 51 Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Motorcycling annoyances and gripes

There have been a number of things lately that just get on my last nerve while out on the bike. I'm a fairly patient person, but some of the ridiculous shit that cagers do just kills me...hopefully not literally.

There's the Mergency situation, where the road narrows from two lanes down to one. Why is it that cagers just can't seem to see this one coming and get merged in before creating a bottleneck? Or how about the morons that need to shoot across 3-4 lanes at the last second to make that crucial turn at the intersection less than 50 feet away?

There's the Parking lot gridlock, especially in a shopping center where a coffee shop or fast-food place has a drive-thru. Cagers have to pull up within inches of the car in front, not leaving room for cross-traffic and creating a vast automotive conga line so that no one can cut through? I hate parking lots in general, because no one seems to watch what the hell they are doing. Cars zipping around completely heedless of what other drivers may be doing. I sat in a parking lot watching it get jammed up with people pulling in or out of spaces the other day, and it was gridlocked for upwards of 5 minutes. STUPID!

How about the drivers who do the ol "Slow To Optional Pause" maneuver, and run the stop without looking for cross-traffic? I punched a chicks driver side window today to get her attention after she did this and nearly squished me... Her reaction was excellent though as she almost careened off the road. That made me feel a little bit better.

What other frustrations to you guys get? Ya gotta be careful out there!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I hate speed limits. They are really annoying.

One real gripe is automatic traffic signals that bikes can't trip.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 51 Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

out here, I think at least 1 out of 5 people are talking on the phone while driving. Even worst, I see them all the time writing text messages, how stupid can a person be?

post #4 of 51 Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Around here, for some reason, people turning right have to drift left first.

I could go on and on. The list in my head for this is a long one.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 51 Old 05-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

People are idiots.

post #6 of 51 Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T81 View Post
out here, I think at least 1 out of 5 people are talking on the phone while driving. Even worst, I see them all the time writing text messages, how stupid can a person be?
only 1 of 5? you got it easy. jersey is pretty much 5 out of 5. and the the OP, i know what your saying about when the two lanes merge into 1, my favorite is when the cars think they are faster than you and try to pass you before the lane turns into 1. i mean, dont they understand that my bike has the same horse power as their civic but weights 2000 lbs less??

post #7 of 51 Old 05-22-2010, 10:07 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet919 View Post
only 1 of 5? you got it easy. jersey is pretty much 5 out of 5. and the the OP, i know what your saying about when the two lanes merge into 1, my favorite is when the cars think they are faster than you and try to pass you before the lane turns into 1. i mean, dont they understand that my bike has the same horse power as their civic but weights 2000 lbs less??
+1, that's what the Stebel horn is for, it tends to wake people up pretty quick like...

post #8 of 51 Old 05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
+1, that's what the Stebel horn is for, it tends to wake people up pretty quick like...
i'll agree to that to an extent... reason being, i've noticed when i blast the horn, sure people start looking. but they aint lookin for me! they're lookin for a damn freight truck and STILL dont see me....

post #9 of 51 Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
i'll agree to that to an extent... reason being, i've noticed when i blast the horn, sure people start looking. but they aint lookin for me! they're lookin for a damn freight truck and STILL dont see me....
The dayglow yellow on my jacket helps with that, I've had people tell me they can see me coming from about 1/2 mile away, every little bit helps with the dumba$$ cagers around here...

post #10 of 51 Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Teen cited in North Side motorcycle crash

Here's my rant.... 17yo bitch could have killed a 45yo motorcyclist because she wasn't paying attentiong. Her punishment? $187 fine. If you ask me, it should be attempted voluntary manslaughter.

post #11 of 51 Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I got a gut full yesterday as an old goat turned LEFT in front of me on US Hwy 80. She got my whole lane blocked and then stopped and surveyed the parking lot for a spot. I came to a complete stop, (speed limit 60mph) and a couple of cars behind me. I got out of the road and turned around and stopped next to her. When I asked why she wanted to kill me, she was surprised and said she never saw me. I asked her please, don't ever drive again unless she could look around and pay attention. Several people stood around and watched as we talked loudly about her driving.
We had yet another cop killed last week, in Lafayette on a bike by a left turn T-bone.

[
post #12 of 51 Old 05-23-2010, 02:26 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I went out riding with Sniper today. I did 188 miles. The first 185 were incident free and quite awesome. 3 miles from home I had a lady in a Honda minivan drift into my lane (4 lane highway 55 MPH speed limit) as soon as I got next to her. I blasted my horn and almost knocked her mirror off. About a quarter mile later, two cars pulled out of Walmart right in front of us. Each one took a different lane. Eye Dee Ten Tee errors all over the place.

post #13 of 51 Old 05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Or how about the morons that need to shoot across 3-4 lanes at the last second to make that crucial turn at the intersection less than 50 feet away?.
Sounds like Dallas

post #14 of 51 Old 05-23-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Today MUST be the day they let the idiots loose...

I went for a nice 150mile ride, and much like Cmurphy I almost got squished a few miles from home... Riding down a local 2-lane surface highway, 60mph limit (doing about 70-75) a line of traffic is coming towards me. A car from near the end of the line cuts out to pass (into my lane) and I had to dodge off onto the shoulder to avoid him...THAT's a new one on me!

"The Shadow"
post #15 of 51 Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Gets censored

not sure if you do it or not but i put my high beams on during the day and it makes you alot more visible.

post #16 of 51 Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM
The Cripple

had something happen to me this morning..... gah jus makes me pissed thinking about it even now. i was headed home and 2 lanes merge into 1 while merging onto another freeway just before entering a tunnel... dude was in the far right lane (right lane ends) and i'm next to his window in the left lane behind a truck with a car behind me. when the lanes merge, dude didnt even brake, he just moved into my lane and basically lane split with me. i blasted my horn and he just kept comin, looked right at me and he was so close i could see the whites of his eyes. it was an older gentleman driving a very nice BMW... i was so tempted to just break his mirror off right then and there, but then i had to focus on the tunnels. dude proceeded to tailgate me and then move 1 lane to the left, nearly clipping me inside the tunnel. at that point i was already enraged so i belted out of there as soon as the tunnel ended before i did something stupid.

that prick.....

post #17 of 51 Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Today MUST be the day they let the idiots loose...

I went for a nice 150mile ride, and much like Cmurphy I almost got squished a few miles from home... Riding down a local 2-lane surface highway, 60mph limit (doing about 70-75) a line of traffic is coming towards me. A car from near the end of the line cuts out to pass (into my lane) and I had to dodge off onto the shoulder to avoid him...THAT's a new one on me!
Shadow. . .come one man, this is EVERY DAY IN COLORADO!!!!!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #18 of 51 Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Gets censored

Got a new one, at least to me.

Im riding home from school today and some arse on a shadow 750 completly changes lanes into me cuts me off to the point i had to let off the gas and tap the brake, then procedes to ring the little vtwins neck like it was a full on drag bike (comical) something like trying to watch a midget bang a giraffe (sp?)

The icing was he was on a honda with an american flag half helmet.

post #19 of 51 Old 05-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
had something happen to me this morning..... gah jus makes me pissed thinking about it even now. i was headed home and 2 lanes merge into 1 while merging onto another freeway just before entering a tunnel... dude was in the far right lane (right lane ends) and i'm next to his window in the left lane behind a truck with a car behind me. when the lanes merge, dude didnt even brake, he just moved into my lane and basically lane split with me. i blasted my horn and he just kept comin, looked right at me and he was so close i could see the whites of his eyes. it was an older gentleman driving a very nice BMW... i was so tempted to just break his mirror off right then and there, but then i had to focus on the tunnels. dude proceeded to tailgate me and then move 1 lane to the left, nearly clipping me inside the tunnel. at that point i was already enraged so i belted out of there as soon as the tunnel ended before i did something stupid.

that prick.....
Something similar just happened to me on the way home. Three lane E-Way and I'm in #1 lane. GMC Sierra moves over on me W/O a signal. I squirt ahead and give him the one finger salute (i know) and he zooms up on my tail. I make a hole and proceed to hit over a buck-ten all the way home. He disapeared in my mirror real quick.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #20 of 51 Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Now the guy in the Sierra thinks your a prick, all the while never knowing why he got the finger becuase he think he did nothing wrong. I hate idots.

post #21 of 51 Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Now the guy in the Sierra thinks your a prick, all the while never knowing why he got the finger becuase he think he did nothing wrong. I hate idots.
Yeah, but looking back on it I believe I share some of the blame. First, I shouldn't be surprised that he didn't see me. I mean, you should ride as though you're invisible right?
Second, you're never going to teach other drivers anything. The habits they possess will likely stay with them their whole lifetime. My "expressing" my frustration with his indifference to my safety only enflamed the situation and I have MUCH more to loose.
Stay cool friends.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #22 of 51 Old 05-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

I hate those girls walking down the road in itty-bitty skirts and a super tight singlet, especially the ones who flick their hair back over their shoulder in slow motion - darn distracting when riding and there is a limit to how much leather pants can stretch and still be comfortable .............

Pictures soon.

post #23 of 51 Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I hate those girls walking down the road in itty-bitty skirts and a super tight singlet, especially the ones who flick their hair back over their shoulder in slow motion - darn distracting when riding and there is a limit to how much leather pants can stretch and still be comfortable .............

Pictures soon.
hopefully of the girls and not of the stretched leather pants

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #24 of 51 Old 05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
hopefully of the girls and not of the stretched leather pants
LOL - that could be a handy place to mount a camera .......

post #25 of 51 Old 05-31-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Pictures soon.

One of those girls damned near caused me to crash the other day...

Allan, you're really on a roll tonight...I'm laughing really hard now...Thanks buddy!

"The Shadow"
post #26 of 51 Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Pob
Tirone

They just don't look most of the time. Then there are the (usually BMW or Merc drivers) who deliberately pull out at islands in front of you - smug in their multi air-bagged German tank.

post #27 of 51 Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Still waiting for pictures -of the girl that is. . .

post #28 of 51 Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
Yeah, but looking back on it I believe I share some of the blame. First, I shouldn't be surprised that he didn't see me. I mean, you should ride as though you're invisible right?
Second, you're never going to teach other drivers anything. The habits they possess will likely stay with them their whole lifetime. My "expressing" my frustration with his indifference to my safety only enflamed the situation and I have MUCH more to loose.
Stay cool friends.
The first amendment allows you to express your frustration any way you want brother. I have no problem telling people how I feel when it comes to my life. Now if I think that person has a gun or looks like they can open up a pretty big can of woop a** if they jump out of the car, then I’ll keep it to myself and come complain about it to you guys

post #29 of 51 Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

I had a guy come up to chat while I was parking the bike... This isn't a gripe, and he wasn't really THAT annoying...but he would barely allow me to get a word in edgewise...

He tells me that he's wanting to get into motorcycling, and that he's "been learnin' bout em"and asks a few general questions about the 919...THEN he says, "my friend has a Hayabusa, but it doesn't look NEAR as fast as your bike!!!" and then walks off.

I was happy he thought my bike was cool and all, but I thought that was pretty funny.

"The Shadow"
post #30 of 51 Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have not read through all the responses, but since MY Friend got REAR ENDED at a stoplight today and his Girlfriend got hurt because the idiot teenager was probably texting while driving well you get the picture.

Also while stationed in Okinawa the I can run the red light because the traffic is not moving yet people almost got me. My friend whom I was riding with said "Man I thought you were a gonner" Well I caught up to her at the next light which is at every corner, and was yelling at her, she ignored me, then I got really PISSED and tried to pound her window out, then came the Gomen Hand that is where the Locals would put their hand in the air, their act of saying sorry, well I told her which she probably did not understand anyway in many 4 letter words to kiss my A$$.

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #31 of 51 Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Caught a distracted driver texting the other day while driving; I was in the lane next to her.

Blew the horn and gave the "put the phone down" signal with my thumb and pinky. She looked very ashamed and mouthed "Sorry!"

I just shook my head at her and pointed at the road, indicating what she should be paying attention to.

If you have teenagers, or know of any, or heck, even run into any, anywhere, whenever, show them this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I54m...has_verified=1

Don't warn them that it might be graphic. Let it shock them.

I HATE having road rage!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #32 of 51 Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Driving has become secondary to communication. Hopefully it will lead to autodrive systems for some folk. The problem is it will eventually apply to all and you won't be able to get a vehicle above the posted speed limit without some major bypass work. Hence the Rush song Red Barchetta in a different sense.

Before that maybe a means of communication will become available that will make it less distracting. The technology exists to read you a text message, and voice recognition will allow you to respond. I just fear the government involvement in all of this. Their answer will be in my first paragraph. Limiters already exist, along with the unapplied technology to make it read the road/area and limit your speed. Scary stuff.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #33 of 51 Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Driving has become secondary to communication. Hopefully it will lead to autodrive systems for some folk. The problem is it will eventually apply to all and you won't be able to get a vehicle above the posted speed limit without some major bypass work. Hence the Rush song Red Barchetta in a different sense.

Before that maybe a means of communication will become available that will make it less distracting. The technology exists to read you a text message, and voice recognition will allow you to respond. I just fear the government involvement in all of this. Their answer will be in my first paragraph. Limiters already exist, along with the unapplied technology to make it read the road/area and limit your speed. Scary stuff.
i'll keep my 9er then when he chases me,i'll leave his ass at the 1 lane bridge.

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #34 of 51 Old 08-26-2010, 09:00 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've probably said this before, but even without all the physical distractions, cagers will still have the mental ones: "Why is my kid bad in school? Why is my boss a jerk? Did I feed the fish/dog/husband? "

I don't know how to get the point across that they're dealing with the laws of physics here and these laws are unrefuteable.

I say, no more seatbelts, airbags, abs, crumple zones, etc. Let's get back to realizing, "Hey, I could get hurt doing this"

(wishful thinking off)

post #35 of 51 Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Lemonhead...I like your thinking. Bring Natural Selection back to all vehicles.

post #36 of 51 Old 08-26-2010, 02:20 PM
h8tenhogs

There is a simple solution to end all of this. start quelling the stupid ones...

post #37 of 51 Old 08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Why do I have this imminent feeling that someone is going to reference Mad Max?

Thunderdome anyone?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #38 of 51 Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Two men enter, one man leaves.

post #39 of 51 Old 08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Our government is already supplying the pig manure.

post #40 of 51 Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM
smileage

Anyone driving in the left (passing) lane that is not passing.

Illegal around here anyway.....

Becoming more cautious with age, always thought every car would pull out in front of me and that motorcycles are bascially invisble to drivers.

Took three days off from work, plan on heading out on the bike with no real planned destinations or schedules.

"rideabout" of sorts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode