Motorcycles are more than just a hobby... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
No association w/ Tirone.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Motorcycles are more than just a hobby...

During a discussion about the price of my future pipes/PCIII mods with my wife the other day, she posed a question that made me think. She asked whether I was going to keep my 919 forever in order for her to justify spending a 1/4 of the price of the bike on 1 upgrade.
So I started thinking about the price of all the upgrades I wanted to do and whether that end price would get me a better bike that I wouldn't have to upgrade.

So my question is, for those that are comfortable asking, about how much have you put into your bike, and is there another that you could have gotten for that price that you would have been happy with stock?

As for me, I've only just begun, but the day I bought it for 4200 I spend the initial entrance fee of 200 for gear, followed by a 300 dollar set of PPct2 tires. Within a week I had purchased a trugel battery for 100 and my motech centerstand for about 180. I got a set of those cheap sliders for 30, a tank protector for 5 and am in the process of clicking buy on a pair of ASV levers for 180.
So in the last 2 months of owning the bike I've put close to 800 dollars into just the bike. With future upgrades looking to be 2-3k+ I'm curious if any of you regret the cost of your mods, since by the end of this I could get a brand new BMW k1200r, Speed Triple, or CB1000R which have recently stuck my fancy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I don't think you can count new tires as an upgrade. Same with the battery. Those are needed pieces. Gear can be worn no matter the bike so don't count those pieces either.
Personally, I've done the levers rear-sets, pcIII, SS brake lines along with many other things. All worth it.

Spoiler:

post #3 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Le So Cal Troll

IMO, gear and tires should not be equivocated int he price of a single bike... as they go with EVERY bike.

As far as my 919.... paid 4200 for it. aside from tires, and oil, the only real upgrades i have done are LED blinkers (16 per pair) + a couple bucks for connectors n wires... and 70-80 or so for stainless steel brake lines. I did replace fork seals in one fork shortly after i got the bike so i spent 20 bucks on fork oil and redid both. i also stripped the entire flapper system, as well as the evap system so another couple of bucks for various vacuum caps and a vacuum T.

other than that all other mods have been free (fender eliminator) and paint stock mirrors flat black.

Personally i like the look of the stock exhaust... it doesnt look bad or hideous (IE FZ1 huge honking wtf thing) and tbh could never justify the insane price for exhausts anyways... id rather put that money in the tank and ride the bike. same goes for a power commander.

Id put money into suspension before exhaust / pc... and even then the stock suspension is fine ... i learn to live with it as i am a cheap ass haha.... pluss i can still hang with em, i love the 9er it rails.

post #4 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redletter View Post
During a discussion about the price of my future pipes/PCIII mods with my wife the other day, she posed a question that made me think. She asked whether I was going to keep my 919 forever in order for her to justify spending a 1/4 of the price of the bike on 1 upgrade.
So I started thinking about the price of all the upgrades I wanted to do and whether that end price would get me a better bike that I wouldn't have to upgrade.

So my question is, for those that are comfortable asking, about how much have you put into your bike, and is there another that you could have gotten for that price that you would have been happy with stock?

As for me, I've only just begun, but the day I bought it for 4200 I spend the initial entrance fee of 200 for gear, followed by a 300 dollar set of PPct2 tires. Within a week I had purchased a trugel battery for 100 and my motech centerstand for about 180. I got a set of those cheap sliders for 30, a tank protector for 5 and am in the process of clicking buy on a pair of ASV levers for 180.
So in the last 2 months of owning the bike I've put close to 800 dollars into just the bike. With future upgrades looking to be 2-3k+ I'm curious if any of you regret the cost of your mods, since by the end of this I could get a brand new BMW k1200r, Speed Triple, or CB1000R which have recently stuck my fancy.
Most would say I have spent too much, especially my dear sweet wife who puts up with oh so much and has for decades.
I paid $ 10 K for mine new in 05.
As I sit here right now and ponder, I don't think I want to add up the rest that I have put into it so far, and I'm not even done yet - but quite close.
But I sure have learned alot while figuring out what to spend it on, and using some of the stuff I bought.
So, I guess I'd say that in terms of "rush and education derived", it's been a real bargain. Hey, that's my line and I'm sticking to it. (Maybe at least one of you might want to try that one out at home, and let me know how it works! I just think it, I have not said it out loud ....yet .)

post #5 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
My friend pointed that out to me yesterday about how much money I plan on spending on my bike. He gives me crap for buying a bike that I know I will be changing quite a bit on it. Yes, I do agree with him somewhat. But no doubt, after all is said and done, the bike has turned into something you really dig, and if it's enjoyable, then it should be worth it. What my problem is, I buy bikes that I know I will be modifying pretty soon. I think my next bike will be one that I am very satisfied with in stock form, just so I won't be spending more money than I originally intended haha.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
post #6 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I paid approx $8100 OTD with plates, $200 ctr stand, $60 horn and wiring, $130 (i think) for a fairing, $130 for luggage (usable on any bike) and aside from tires, that's about it. My bike suits me for what i do with it. i'd like a new suspension upgrade, but it's not required, a new CB1000R would be nice, but i can live without it. It's personal taste. If the upgrades are worth it to YOU, then they are worth it. If you'll not be happy and will trade it anyway, maybe they aren't. Only you can decide that. But if your bike is your hobby and your canvas for self-expression, then add away, it's yours! Dave

Are we having fun yet?
post #7 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Former 919er

A CB1000R would cost me about $8-9k up here, after trade and taxes. My planned upgrades On my 919 will run about $2k. Pretty simple math to me. Sure, the newer bike will still be better in many ways, but there are things that the niner does better too.

post #8 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
No association w/ Tirone.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

You all have a good point, and I think I may have to reevaluate my stance on mods. I guess I need to decide which takes precedence, aesthetics or performance. I think since I'm also a cheap ass, it would make more sense to have the 919 since it offers all the power I need to get to the speed limit quickly without having to worry about breaking an expensive bike. Not to mention my skill level and lack of a track to ride on makes performance an afterthought. I'll be sure to use the "education derived" reasoning with the wife for my future upgrades. Sounds like taking it slow and getting bargains as I go will be my best bet.

post #9 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 10:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

It all depends on what you want, for me, I really like the 919, there is nothing out there today that REALLY grabs my attention, it's worth it TO ME to spend $$ on upgrades, and I will continue to spend $$ until I am satisfied...

post #10 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Discen

i think you will spend $ on any bike you buy, if you are that way inclined. Most of the $ you have spent you will have to spend anyway regardless of the bike, plus chains sprockets, more tires etc.
Most new bikes you can still spend on tailoring the suspension to your weight/style and other bits here and there.
Then someone on a shit box can still fly by, like you are standing still, a lot of the time the money is irrelevant compared to who is riding.
I thought i had my bike exactly how i wanted it, now i have rebuilt the seat,mmm better, today i am making some footpeg adapters,so my short arse legs can lock in better.
It is a bit of fun, as opposed to the other half who go off buying more shoes or stuff they dont really need.
Spend or not, just enjoy

post #11 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I don't know about you guys, but no bike of mine will ever stay stock.

post #12 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 12:28 AM
^ It's a song

I can't keep anything I buy stock. To me, it's all about making the vehicle your own. I think I've gotten off pretty easy so far with the bike. The niner has been much cheaper and easier to mod than my car. I bought the bike in May for $4000 and between exhaust, bars, mirrors, levers, fender eliminator, and front turns I have spent about $800 on it so far. It's something I plan on keeping for a while so I consider it money well spent.

Travis - 2006 919
post #13 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 04:41 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I spent more on my 919 to make it the way I wanted than I did on the purchase price of the bike. One of the positives of the model is that it's easy to modify, although there are not as many parts available for it these days. Also one of the negatives of the model, it begs to be modified, both for comfort and to upgrade some rather pedestrian stock equipment.

I've spent very little on my Super Duke in comparison, just some pipes and a few blingy bits, it needed virtually nothing to to fit me comfortably and performance wise it was already outfitted from the factory with top quality components.

post #14 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

$7600 OTD off the showroom floor August '07 with 0 miles
Fender Eliminator/ turn signals $100
900RR Scorpion Exhaust- $400
Frame Sliders/ Helmet Lock- $85
Gel/memory foam seat insert- $85
Givi Windscreen - $19
Waterproof Hard Cases-$100
Chain Oiler -$50
Tank Protector/ Tank Slapper film- $75
G&J Stainless Steel Brake Lines- $85
Ducati Monster Mirrors- $135

~$8700 total excluding gear and maintenance stuff like tires and oil.

Worth every penny to me, 40K miles and still love the bike

post #15 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Former 919er

All prices Canadian

Bike, 2007 919 - $5,500, used by some poser who only put 2,500km on it and who painted it gloss black
Aprilia Shiver mirrors - $110
CBR600 signals - used $90
PAIR Block-off plates - $25

Delkevic slip-ons - $285
PC3 USB - $150 used
Rizoma bars - $70
Rizoma Sportline billet grips - $50
Rizoma bar ends - $30
Chinese knock-off levers - $40
Wheel stripes - $25
Powdercoating stuff - $120

2012 - hopefully!
Ohlins or Penske shock - $900 - 1000
Fork springs - $100
Rizoma rearsets - $750
Frame sliders - $80
Powdercoating more stuff - $120

Koso - $450

post #16 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
I just can't leave stuff alone either, it's that basic.

post #17 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

It's like a member of the family. You can't put a price on something you love. And as others have said, gear and regular maintenance don't count as upgrades, because you'll have to do that to be safe on any bike.

But that CB1000R is sexy

2 > 4
post #18 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Okay, so I will break it down in to Mods, Things I Bought Because I bought The Bike, and Future Buys.

I bought the bike in May of 2010 for $5500. Since then I have spent $825 in mods. This includes SS brake lines, Brakeline holder, K&N, OEM Centerstand, CRG Levers, Delkevic Exhaust, PCII USB, and Mirrors.
I spent $1519 for Things I bought because I bought the bike. These are things like Michelin PR2s, Tourmaster jacket, Tourmaster Pants, Firstgear gloves, Coretec Gloves, Shoei RF1000 + Gold Shield, Tourmaster Winter weight gloves, and a GoPro HD.
Now Future mods will cost me roughly $1350. These will be a new rear shock (I figured for the high end $1000 but I might go for the $600 option), New Front Springs, Gel Grips, Frame Sliders and possible Renthal ULs. So that will be a grand total of $9193 when I am done. That means I already bought a new FZ8 (tax and plates out the door) and am working my way closer to a new CB1000R and a Speed Trip.

I don’t think I will ever keep a bike stock. Why do you want to own the same thing everyone has? You need to make it unique in some sort of way. That same kind of thoughts fuelled the Custom bike/chopper craze and is now kindling the Café Racer craze. By the way let’s not show my wife this thread, it was humbling enough to tally it up on my own!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 AM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I think it's been said before that a motorcycle is just a down-payment on accessories.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 PM
duc duc GOOSE!

Cool thread, I contemplate this topic a lot, though I am not looking at considerable upgrades, but what I have done and and want to do adds up

Done:
pipes, used 300
bars, grips, and mirrors 150

Want:
paint job, 400
seat cowl, 150
seat improvement? ??
Blinkers? ???

Not to mention I have a list of maintenance things and gear that needs upgraded.

Other bike I am considering is an interceptor but I would want to add to that too.

After being bike less for about 4 years I am just happy to be able to consider these things.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #21 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Every 919 owner has to do a balancing act between purchases for improvements in performance, including handling, comfort, aesthetic changes to make it more like a motorcycle that makes you smile whenever you look at it, utility, and paying the rent / mortgage.
Maintenance which any bike will need is outside the scope of the question.

Personally, the first category is the one that needed the least money: it already has over 100 HP, which is fine with me, and any bike I can back into corners whenever I want at pretty much any speed it is capable of as the 919 does with aplomb works just fine with me as well.
The usual exhaust systems do not fall into this category -- they do not make much difference in top end power, 2 to 5% at best, and can depress midrange power badly enough to make roll on comparisons surprising to the owner of the modified bike -- the two times I have done heads up roll ons against otherwise stock 919's with exhaust / PCIII mods I have literally run away from them when starting below 5,000 RPM, a perfect litmus test for the street, and could keep pace when starting at higher revs. Go ahead, argue with me ... but keep in mind butt dynos are notoriously unreliable.
Aftermarket shocks / springs / front springs / damper modifications may be included in this category, but only if the rider has pushed the limits stock and needs better control. This is very unusual.
Looking for razor sharp handling at the limit? Buy a sport bike.
Bottom line? The best and least expensive performance modification is a thoroughly trained and experienced rider. I dare you to argue with me on that one!

Comfort? The sky's the limit. Do whatever is necessary to make it fit you better and not wear you down , as I did with TharBars. Other than that I have done nothing and have no problems going 500 miles without a break (other than fuel). Aftermarket shocks / springs / front springs / damper modifications are included in this category.
Windscreens, with the exception of full touring screens, do not fall into this category. Most produce more problems such as turbulence and buffeting than they cure.

Aesthetics? The reason I bought it in the first place was the overall look of it in taxicab / school bus yellow. It doesn't need anything more for me.
Here is where exhaust systems belong: descriptions are usually limited to "Looks cool.", "Nice throaty sound.", "Feels like it turns in better." (it actually doesn't, but that's not what the owner said, is it?), and my favorite: "It's a whole lot faster." It's faster because the rider loves to hear the noise when it's WFO, and does it as often as possible. Refer to my comments in the performance category.
Past that you could spend twice the original cost of the bike trying to "make it yours" -- sufficient justification, though probably not to your significant other.
One thing's sure: if you are riding a 919, it doesn't look like any other bike on the road right out of the crate!

Utility for a do it all bike such as the 919 is very user specific, and again outside the scope of the question.

Maintenance has been dirt cheap as well, and can be arbitrarily equated to any motorcycle.

There it is. Let the flaming begin!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #22 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Every 919 owner has to do a balancing act between purchases for improvements in performance, including handling, comfort, aesthetic changes to make it more like a motorcycle that makes you smile whenever you look at it, utility, and paying the rent / mortgage.
Maintenance which any bike will need is outside the scope of the question.

Personally, the first category is the one that needed the least money: it already has over 100 HP, which is fine with me, and any bike I can back into corners whenever I want at pretty much any speed it is capable of as the 919 does with aplomb works just fine with me as well.
The usual exhaust systems do not fall into this category -- they do not make much difference in top end power, 2 to 5% at best, and can depress midrange power badly enough to make roll on comparisons surprising to the owner of the modified bike -- the two times I have done heads up roll ons against otherwise stock 919's with exhaust / PCIII mods I have literally run away from them when starting below 5,000 RPM, a perfect litmus test for the street, and could keep pace when starting at higher revs. Go ahead, argue with me ... but keep in mind butt dynos are notoriously unreliable.
Aftermarket shocks / springs / front springs / damper modifications may be included in this category, but only if the rider has pushed the limits stock and needs better control. This is very unusual.
Looking for razor sharp handling at the limit? Buy a sport bike.
Bottom line? The best and least expensive performance modification is a thoroughly trained and experienced rider. I dare you to argue with me on that one!

Comfort? The sky's the limit. Do whatever is necessary to make it fit you better and not wear you down , as I did with TharBars. Other than that I have done nothing and have no problems going 500 miles without a break (other than fuel). Aftermarket shocks / springs / front springs / damper modifications are included in this category.
Windscreens, with the exception of full touring screens, do not fall into this category. Most produce more problems such as turbulence and buffeting than they cure.

Aesthetics? The reason I bought it in the first place was the overall look of it in taxicab / school bus yellow. It doesn't need anything more for me.
Here is where exhaust systems belong: descriptions are usually limited to "Looks cool.", "Nice throaty sound.", "Feels like it turns in better." (it actually doesn't, but that's not what the owner said, is it?), and my favorite: "It's a whole lot faster." It's faster because the rider loves to hear the noise when it's WFO, and does it as often as possible. Refer to my comments in the performance category.
Past that you could spend twice the original cost of the bike trying to "make it yours" -- sufficient justification, though probably not to your significant other.
One thing's sure: if you are riding a 919, it doesn't look like any other bike on the road right out of the crate!

Utility for a do it all bike such as the 919 is very user specific, and again outside the scope of the question.

Maintenance has been dirt cheap as well, and can be arbitrarily equated to any motorcycle.

There it is. Let the flaming begin!

Rob
How about deer whistles?

post #23 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
How about deer whistles?
Comfort. That is as long as you trust them to do their job, and should not be used to encourage inattention or distraction. May also fall under the gear category.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #24 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I've got like $3k into mine. The wheel conversion and shock being the heaviest. I've never changed any bike I've owned before and just wanted to. Not sure my next bike will get the same treatment. If there will be a next bike.

Sent from my iPhone

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #25 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Chief 10 Beers

Through out my life I have had bikes and cars that I customized. I think I lost money on every project but making a profit was not the exercise. I have not had something to tinker with for several years and when I noticed my "hotrod" was my John Deer Lawn Tractor it was evident I needed another project. So when I bought my Niner I considered it a lump of clay that I was going to mold into my own creation. It is an ongoing process. I bought my 07 for $6400 and have probably put another $2500 in it and I know I could never sell it for anywhere close to that. But I love the bike and it brings me much pleasure. I really can't think of a bike I would rather have. It is for me the right blend of old school and modern tech. I am almost 57 years old and do not ride too boldly and need a certain amount of comfort (but I do ride naked) so a full blown sport bike is not for me.

Mods:
Pazzo Levers
Rizoma Mirrors
Rizoma Rear Sets
Rizoma Grab bar plates
LED front turn signals
Yoshi CF Slip ons
Several Carbon Fiber replacements pieces
Sargent Seat redo
Ohlins rear shock
Jardine Fender Eliminator
Motivation Frame Sliders
PAIR blockoff
Braided SS brake lines

Next to do:
Front fork springs
Better tires
Ohlins stearing Dampner
eventually a PCIII but it seems to be running just fine

There are bold motorcyclists and old motorcyclists, but (OK) there are few old bold motorcyclists
post #26 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

What's to say you won't want to start modding the brand new more expensive bike? You have to at least put a can on it, SS lines, pazzo or crg levers, HH double sintered pads, fender eliminator, flush mounted turn signals, PC III, corbin or other seat for comfort, and maybe even some suspension work...

Doesn't matter the bike, you will always have the mod bug

2 > 4
post #27 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
DITTO

I've never had a bike that remained stock. I find something I like/can afford and 'adjust' it to suit my needs.

I've spend a fair bit of coin on suspension this year - considering I am not in a position to afford a new bike the money has been well spent on the 919 - it has been transformed into 'a new bike' or better handling wise.

In fact any future new bike will probably get suspender mods now too.

At the end of the day any $ spent on mods can be recouped to a degree when selling if you pop the stock parts back on and sell the goodies.

I was at a local Honda dealers yesterday and he had 2 preloved 919's in stock. Both were 100% stock and cosmetically very average looking. In fact they looked a bit boring compared to mine so in answer to one of your questions - yes every $ on 'bits' has been worth it!

post #28 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrady View Post

Next to do:
Front fork springs
Better tires
Ohlins stearing Dampner
eventually a PCIII but it seems to be running just fine

I find my 9er runs exceptionally well on the Yoshi pipes without a PC3 too.

Do the fork springs - one of the cheapest and most significant improvements you can make.

I've just spooned on some Pilot Powers - loving them and you'll find them cheap at Jake Wilson (hell, that's where I got them and had them shipped to New Zealand!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode