• 2 Post By badmoon692008
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 2 Post By Sniper-x
  • 1 Post By nathanktm
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x

post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

mod's not

All i have is replacement mirrors and baffle removal. Can't think of anything else i want to change. Seat is comfortable,handlebars fit me just fine. Runs so sweet i have no interest in a power commander etc. In the past i did personalize my bikes a lot. Ether this is one great bike or i am tired of spending money on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Tesserarius

If I found a prestine '04+, I'd

nip the rear fended, a bit.
Baffelectomy
SSfront lines
Paint the stock mirrors Satin Black
Remove the passenger heel guards
Remove the reflectors, and warning stickers.

That would take 3-4 hours. Cost about $125. Done.

Lately, I've been buying used bikes. Sometimes, I spend nothing on mods. Most guys mod the crap out of their stuff. I've grown to really like the look of a showroom, stock machine, because they're so rare. Plus I watch a lot of "Jay Leon's Garage".

post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I intend to make the 919 into a dedicated track bike some day. I have 2 pages of mods I'd like to do when I find the money. For now, its bone stock and it's gotten me into the advanced group. Next thing I'd probably do is rearsets and some serious track rubber. I'm practically the only person left in the class that still has a license plate on my bike and tires that are road legal. Maybe its time to get a new set of wheels to leave some slicks on.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I intend to make the 919 into a dedicated track bike some day. I have 2 pages of mods I'd like to do when I find the money. For now, its bone stock and it's gotten me into the advanced group. Next thing I'd probably do is rearsets and some serious track rubber. I'm practically the only person left in the class that still has a license plate on my bike and tires that are road legal. Maybe its time to get a new set of wheels to leave some slicks on.
As someone who was seriously considering that path as well, you'd be much better off taking the money you'd spend on two pages of mods and just buy a clapped out track bike that will be far more capable from the start and less sad about when you inevitably go down.
g00gl3it and ewmin3m like this.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
As someone who was seriously considering that path as well, you'd be much better off taking the money you'd spend on two pages of mods and just buy a clapped out track bike that will be far more capable from the start and less sad about when you inevitably go down.
It's also possible to find older, well built race bikes in good shape for crazy low $$$ in comparison to what the original build cost.
Particularly so if it was a build of a written off street bike with no frame damage in a jurisdiction where writeoffs can't legally be registered for road use.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Tesserarius

The problem that I wonder you may run into is: If you put Super grippy slicks on the 919, will the minimalist frame, swingarm, and suspention going to be able to handle the added stress? The tires you're running now, may have just enough slip to make everything balanced.

If things are going good, you're in the advanced group on a 919, why change anything?
LDH and mcromo44 like this.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I ran out of tire trying to keep up with guys on better rubber and wiped out. They say good tires are cheap insurance

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dario_hawk likes this.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 03:38 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I ran out of tire trying to keep up with guys on better rubber and wiped out. They say good tires are cheap insurance

I seem to recollect a prior post of yours including which tires you are on.
Q3s?
Something else?
Anyway, sniper-x made really valid points.
If you beyond a good track day tire and into serious race rubber, then keep in mind that:
-warmers are pretty much obligatory.
-the tire performance will be substandard if you can't maintain heat in them by your riding to keep them in their temperature band.
-the tire performance and life is much more effected by settings, so if your settings are off, or you can't even get the necessary settings out of the suspension components you are using, the trick rubber won't be able to deliver.
Perhaps something like the new Dunlop Q4s would be a good solution if you are keeping the bike stock, they being streetable track day tires that don't need warmers.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Tesserarius

I made the assumption that you were already on good tires. I've never been on Racing Slicks. But I would have to assume that they have a lot mor grip than good Street tires. Slicks aren't any good until they're up to temperature. Then you need tire warmers. Then you need a power source for the tire warmers. Where does it end? I don't know you. I don't care what you do. Make yourself happy. But there will always be someone faster; Someone with more money to throw at what ever endeavor you partake.

Years ago, I shot in the Master Class, NRA Highpower Rifle competition. My rifle was a box stock Colt HBAR. Crummy trigger, sling attached to the barrel, plain old battle sights. I enjoyed beating up on a lot of guys that had much better equipment.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Most likely q4 as they do not require warmers and still provide significantly more grip. Also not too expensive. I will probably stick with q3 for the time being though as I still have commute on my bike. The q3+ gets astounding mileage. I have 4k miles on them, 3k of that interstate and they are maybe 30% worn. I got roughly 7k out of my last rear with 2 track days on them. I think I can get close to 10k on the q3+. The center tread was beefed up. The sides are much softer compound and don't last very long though. I prefer the grip. For the amount of grip, mileage and price, they can't be beat imo. 210 bucks a set after the rebate.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-26-2018, 05:34 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Most likely q4 as they do not require warmers and still provide significantly more grip. Also not too expensive. I will probably stick with q3 for the time being though as I still have commute on my bike. The q3+ gets astounding mileage. I have 4k miles on them, 3k of that interstate and they are maybe 30% worn. I got roughly 7k out of my last rear with 2 track days on them. I think I can get close to 10k on the q3+. The center tread was beefed up. The sides are much softer compound and don't last very long though. I prefer the grip. For the amount of grip, mileage and price, they can't be beat imo. 210 bucks a set after the rebate.

A pair of Q3+s for $210 USA ?
That is stupid cheap for what they do !

post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Pesky Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
All i have is replacement mirrors and baffle removal. Can't think of anything else i want to change. Seat is comfortable,handlebars fit me just fine. Runs so sweet i have no interest in a power commander etc. In the past i did personalize my bikes a lot. Ether this is one great bike or i am tired of spending money on them.
I'm in the same boat...I used to mod my other bikes, but no interest in going crazy on my 919. Most of the stuff done to it is cosmetic or to make it more comfortable for long rides, or the PO (original owner) did it. Also I find the amount of money spent doesn't always give you the return you expect. Better to save your $$ for maintenance stuff.

You are right, its a damn fine bike in stock form, IMO.

post #13 of 14 Old 09-07-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I love my 919 but i would never consider it a track bike. Anything is possible but their are many bikes that make better track bikes for little moere than good tires.

post #14 of 14 Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You hardly ever get your money back from a mod, even some great ones like the rear shock, forks, PC III, etc...

I had mine up for sale about 2 years ago and one guy went down the list of all the mods he wanted done to it... He then offered a price and basically I would have been better of throwing the bike in the trash and walking away.

When you mod a bike, you're taking something that works and replacing it with something that works better or looks better. So if you replace the seat with a $300~400 seat, you're taking a working seat that is fine for most and making it a bit better, but you really aren't adding that much in value, even if someone can't buy that seat for 200 used.

It's just the way it works.

This fully ignores the fact that you get to ENJOY the mod. If you enjoy the new seat/shock/forks/etc... then THAT'S the whole point.

I fully intend on doing some suspension upgrades to mine when the time is right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode