MMI...? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

MMI...?

As you may know I had that bad wreck. I probably wont be going back to my old job due to the type of work it was.. very demanding physical work..plastering. I am thinking about going to school to become a motorcycle mechanic and was considering MMI(Motorcycle mechanic institute) in Orlando .The cost of the school is like 21,000..... whew....alot of money but its supposed to be really good.. has anyone here gone to that school or thought about it? they have one in Arizona to.. And I cant decide on what type of bike I want to specialize in.. My heart tells me Honda.. But even though Harley is my least fav. They have a ton of shops here in Fla. Just stuff for me to think about I guess.. Any input would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I have had several friends that have gone to this school (Arizona) and all have found work very shortly after leaving . One of my friends did Honda and Suzuki, he said the basics were the same . Lot of money but if its something you like to do and can make money at it I say go for it!! Good luck

post #3 of 8 Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Go to school for H-D. That's job security...

post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Frankly, I'd go to the various shops in your area and talk to the service managers about employment opportunities for graduates of the MMI school before jumping in with both feet.
When I was working at a Honda shop we hired two graduates from MMI: one was without a doubt the worst mechanic I'd ever had the displeasure to work with and only lasted three days, while the other was the sharpest, despite claiming he had never even thought about being a motorcycle tech before attending the MMI school. He only stayed with us for a couple months before being hired away by Yamaha, and ended up wrenching for the factory 500 GP team in Europe.
What it boils down to is it strictly depends on your motivation and applying what they teach you: they will give you the knowledge but it's up to you to apply it.
Good luck with this.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #5 of 8 Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 PM

I would go for it...everythign happens for a reason so maybe thats why it happen, I had a friend who went to the Orlando School and he is wrenching in the AMA right now ....so I would go and sell yourself out to get that dream job!! Good luck! I am in Tampa so I can say I have heard good things about the school in Orlando

post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I keep seeing a lot of commercials for Wyotech. Are they any good? Just throwing it out there.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #7 of 8 Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Tired of Tirone

I went through MMI's marine program. I was at the same 'campus' as their Moto program. To sum it up:

Several very knowledgeble teachers and a few that didn't have the skill to make it on the outside.

Lots of stuff to work on and specialty tools that were in reasonable shape even though they had been played with by the inexperienced.

I came away with good basic skills and enough training to impress shop managers during an interveiw.

Snap-on offers grads some deep discounts on tools.

On the down side:

They offer job placement, but I felt the people doing it were very weak and ineffective. You will get more and better results looking yourself.

The courses are 'designed to pass' style and you may find yourself bored every now and then.

It was expensive.

Overall it was a possitive experience and might open some doors that would be closed to you otherwise.

Unfortunately for me, the chase for the big $'s forced me back to my old career. Although I still get panic calls from the middle of the Atlantic to keep my skills sharp.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Go to school for H-D. That's job security...
+1! They need a lot of mechanics! Best regards for whatever you focus on!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode