Mishimoto Liquid Chill - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Mishimoto Liquid Chill

Anybody tried Mishimotos coolant additive? It’s supposed to work with aluminum engines and the reviews are pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 08:50 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naked Crew View Post
Anybody tried Mishimotos coolant additive? Itís supposed to work with aluminum engines and the reviews are pretty good.
Never tried it. The 919 has the opposite problem, runs too cool.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Never tried it. The 919 has the opposite problem, runs too cool.[/QUOTE]

What Fahrenheit do you see where you ride? I live in OK bike gets pretty hot at lights. I’m flushing the coolant system now so maybe it’ll run cooler after.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 06:32 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Never tried it. The 919 has the opposite problem, runs too cool.

What Fahrenheit do you see where you ride? I live in OK bike gets pretty hot at lights. I’m flushing the coolant system now so maybe it’ll run cooler after.
I live near Washington DC. The hottest is probably 100F and coldest 35F. With the stock thermostat the needle never really got off the cold mark except maybe at longer stoplights.

One thing that you might want to check if you haven't already is to make sure the coolant is full. You should fill through the radiator cap under the tank and not the overflow tank. There have been a few people over the years that have filled the system from the overflow tank and had hot running issues.

Good luck!

post #5 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Pilus Posterior

There's a product called Water Wetter that changes the surface tension of the water and that improves the contact with the metal. I live where it's 107F today and I can't say that I can prove there's a problem.

I did have a coolant leak and replaced the O ring at the thermostat, that seems to have ended the leak so far. I don't know what caused it to leak, but I was riding aggressive in the heat and it never leaked before. I've put 10,000 miles just this season alone and she's at about 40,000 now. I also have an oil leak that I have to chase down.

I really don't know if it was heat that cased these leaks, but it happened after being aggressive in the heat and she's never had a leak before.

I'd be concerned any mix that may not play well with the rest of the mix. So I'd check if there's any issues there.

What exactly is their claim? They say "up to 30 deg..." I don't like those kinds of claims, I'd like to know what exactly it does.

BeCool has some additives, I don't remember all the details, but it was tested and seemed to help.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Appreciate the tip. I checked the coolant at the cap when I did my valve clearance check. It seemed full, but the previous owner was pretty neglectful as far as maintenance goes so who knows.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Appreciate the tip. I checked the coolant at the cap when I did my valve clearance check. It seemed full, but the previous owner was pretty neglectful as far as maintenance goes so who knows.
What happened to me is that I had zero leaks, then all the sudden I noticed the water reservoir was empty and I had both water and oil leak. I noticed the water at the based of the thermostat housing and replaced that O ring. That seems to have fixed the water leak.

The oil leak is another issue I'll have to deal with somehow.

IDK what happened, but maybe it got hot enough to warp something. It's odd that both happened at the same time frame. I had to burp the system using the filler under the tank. I let it fully warm up so that the water was hot and revved it up a few times to make sure it was burped.

Seems ok now, but still have the oil leak.

Again, no idea how the O ring started leaking all the sudden. I haven't heard the 919 having a heat problem. One other note, she's got about 40,000 miles, so she's been around a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode