Michigan Riders - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Michigan Riders

What's with the new posts and cables they're installing along I-94? I don't think I've ever seen a more motorcycle unfriendly situation. When ever I pass them it makes me shiver.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Milites Gregarius

wow...that could get ugly

post #3 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

They were installed in some parts of NJ about 2 years ago, they are currently being ripped out and regular guard rails are being installed. They were constantly being torn up(I hope by cars).

post #4 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Omnivore

We have them in NC as well. I used to be on the local Fire/Rescue Squad, and those cables were surprisingly effective in keeping cars from going all the way across the interstate median... never saw a motorcycle hit one... don't think I would want to. As the interstates have been widened over the past few years, they are going away.. being replaced with the concrete barrier.

post #5 of 7 Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

They installed them in around Louisville about a year ago. Cable barriers to keep vehicles from crossing the interstate into oncoming traffic. One motorcyclists has already been killed when he crashed into them. Meat slicer.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 7 Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Meat slicer and/or cheese grater is what comes to mind as I go by them. They must be a hell of a lot cheaper than rails or cement barriers but come on.

Rich

post #7 of 7 Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Tirone

Hundreds of miles of these barriers have been installed in Minnesota the past few summers. They are a make work project for the hiway dept. They have been installed so close to the edge of the hiway in some stretches of hiway that snow plows damage them. But then of course hiway dept. workers get to go out and fix them. And of course the slightest skid on ice sends cars into the barriers and then requires fixing also. Instead of the car being in the snow filled ditch, the car hits the barrier. Car has major damage and the barrier needs to be fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode