Memorial Day weekend - 3 days, 1000+ miles. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
...is a Nihonjin.

Memorial Day weekend - 3 days, 1000+ miles.

Hey ya'll. Just a little report from this past weekend. Haven't uploaded any pictures yet, but I've attached what I've got from my phone. I'll unload the camera tonight.

This trip was our 'trial run' for a longer trip we plan to take up to the northeast later this year.

Riders - Tosh on this FZ1, his girlfriend Rachel on her FZ6, and me and my girlfriend 2upping the 919.

pic 1 - below - filling up, not aware of the long, long, day ahead of us.

Day 1. 400+ miles. We started from Centreville, Virginia around 12:30pm. I wanted a lazy morning, making sure that we were all well rested, and well fed. Headed out west, then northwest towards Monterey, VA (250 is a great little road).
Realized at the intersection of 250 and 219 (Huttonsville) around 7pm that we have gone too far northwest. So onward south we went.

pic 2 - below - west of Monterey, VA:

Day 1. It's getting dark, and we stop for gas around Frankford, VA. 3 Asians in a bodonk town, not getting the friendliest of expressions.
Around 9pm we roll into Lewisburg - stop into a Shoneys and fill ourselves up.
Roll into our destination of Christiansburg, VA around midnight (Toshi and I both attended Virginia Tech in Blacksburg - although I never finished there ).
311 was a great ride - at this point in the report, I should note that Rachel's had her license and FZ6 for less than a month. Pushing 12 hours, riding the last 150 miles or so in the pitch dark was impressive to say the least (and we don't take it slow by any means).

My mapping isn't exactly accurate, but close.

Map of day 1 - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=38.117272,- 78.695068&spn=2.895448,5.817261&z=8&msid=209160695 102043422881.0004a4941ce02a22b38f3

Day 2. 300+ miles. Let's go hit up the New River Gorge bridge! Rachel and Toshi 2up the second day, as a road I spotted on the map months ago was on our 'hit list'...

pic 3 - below - stuffed ourselves @ Wafflehouse, load up - we're ready to roll.

Head due west from Blacksburg, then follow New River up north for a bit. I haven't seen the New River Gorge bridge in 20 years, and it was just as impressive as the first day I saw it.
At this point Toshi finds a straight razor that's embedded in his rear tire. In the side part of the tread, and poking out a bit of the sidewall. Wasn't losing air, and we tried using a plug to at least jam it in there...not sure how safe that was for the rest of the trip, but it held up.

So now we're off to the 'road' that I scouted out a while back...starts in Baileysville, and ends at Tralee, WV. We managed to slice it in half, as we didn't want to ride in the dark for a second day in a row.

Map of day 2 - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms? ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=209160695102043422881.000 4a4945485220b2ed76&ll=37.616407,-80.664368&spn=1.457642,2.90863&z=9

Rt 97 that takes us into Pineville was freshly paved with tons of grip. Going east from Pinesville on RT10 was insane. Best riding I've ever done. "We're going to have to bring the R6's out here", I say to Toshi. Hardly any cars (everyone in this part of the country are out at the crick, drinking brews and floating along the river).

We head back, load up on Cracker Barrel in Christiansburg and go back to the hotel.

Day 3. 300+ miles. We take the back roads from Christiansburg, and link up with the Blue Ridge Parkway. Nice! For the most part, the paving was good. Some spots were hairy, but I'm sure if we stuck with the posted limit no one would run into issues here.

Map of day 3 - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms? ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=209160695102043422881.000 4a4955c715f8b0b3b6&ll=38.0956 6,-78.739014&spn=2.896304,5.817261&z=8

Day 2 and day 3 were the hottest days (mid 90s). We get dumped off west of Charlottesville, so we decided to eat at Wahoo's finer establishments. Lived here in 1990-93, main area around campus hasn't changed too much. Grabbed dinner at No. 3, and scooted on back home.

Notes from the trip:

- get a better seat (gf and I were both dying by day 2 - this is with a Corbin)
- I thought West VA drivers used to scooch to the side to let you pass, but they are like Virginia drivers now, where they haul ass on the straights, then put put it around the corners.
- the Givi 46L topcase and large Icon tankbag I have was just fine for this 3 day trip - it held the necessities for both me and my gf.

I passed the 10k miles mark on the bike this trip, bought it in mid Feb with 5k on the clock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
duc duc GOOSE!

wow, looks like a fun trip, thanks for sharing?

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #3 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Aquilifer

Thanks for posting - I love to hear about road trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
Notes from the trip:
- get a better seat (gf and I were both dying by day 2 - this is with a Corbin)
- the Givi 46L topcase and large Icon tankbag I have was just fine for this 3 day trip - it held the necessities for both me and my gf.
I'm presuming that your butt's ached... or was it your quads/thighs?
I've heard that "the longer the ride, the firmer the seat."
I'm wondering if the seat was the issue, or leg position? Or something else that caused the fatigue ?) Is it conceivable that a bigger windscreen or different bars or different footpegs would help?

Having the topcase on the back for your passenger should have been a huge boon for her comfort primarily because a back rest lets a passenger relax more [they're not afraid of falling off the back (keeps them tense)]

Back in the day, I took my wife on a few long rides on my Seca II with a Corbin seat. I would get sore in butt and thighs and arms and back -- sometimes very sore. Stopping every hour would help.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Having a Corbin and doing 850 miles in 3 days last Labor day weekend, I don't think any seat is going to keep you from being sore. You did 1000+ miles in three days dude!! You couldn't sit on Pam Anderson's chesticles that long and not get sore.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #5 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

What an awesome ride! Beautiful country out there. I can't wait to see more pictures. I have a stock seat plus some cash if you want to make a deal on that Corbin.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
What an awesome ride! Beautiful country out there. I can't wait to see more pictures. I have a stock seat plus some cash if you want to make a deal on that Corbin.
there's already a corbin for sale in the classifed, take a peek there. i'm surprised it's still there to be honest.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Very nice! Looks like one helluva ride and great pics.

post #8 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Having a Corbin and doing 850 miles in 3 days last Labor day weekend, I don't think any seat is going to keep you from being sore. You did 1000+ miles in three days dude!! You couldn't sit on Pam Anderson's chesticles that long and not get sore.
Yeah what he said, plus you did this 2up (something I hate to do)

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #9 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
there's already a corbin for sale in the classifed, take a peek there. i'm surprised it's still there to be honest.
Oh, I eyed it but it is a little too rich for my blood.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
...is a Nihonjin.

curious mike, it was at the bend of my rump. I believe Corbins are designed for 6' guys with 34" inseams, where they can scoot way back in the seat, where it can 'cup' your butt. I'm 5'7" with 29" inseam. She had the same issues, but her butt was sitting in that 'cup' the whole weekend.
My legs were getting a bit twitchy as well, but nothing I couldn't deal with. We make it a point to stop every hour or two.
The little windscreen is just fine for me - head wind going 70+ might be tiring, but with no head wind, no issues. And we mostly hit back roads, where we were either leaning to the left or right.
I told her she can use the topcase as a crutch, but didn't want her to constantly lean back on it (my other top case got a bit chewed up at the mounting points).

I won't be able to handle a bar that's any less aggressive than the UL that's on there right now...I don't think. The UL isn't that aggressive to begin with.

07919Dave, I have a near new stock seat (which I wanted to do the Spencer deal with), but the layout underneath makes me lose some room - my PCIII needs its space. FYI - the Corbin raises your butt an inch or two due to its thickness.

sml2727, I love riding 2up - it's the sole reason why I picked up the 919. She loves riding as much as I do - it's pretty cool to be able to share these rides with her.

I forgot to mention, which I'll update in my first post under the notes, but I picked up a set of Sena bluetooth communicators for this trip. Toshi and Rachel already had a set, so we were able to talk to each other throughout the rides. Not sure if they are worth the $300, but they are worth at least $200, imo.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I'm 5'9" 31" inseam so an inch up wont bother me. If you want to make a deal just let me know I am alway waiting in the dark for a good deal.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
...is a Nihonjin.

Ok, for some reason I'm not getting the 'edit post' button, so I'm having to add pictures down here.

Here's Toshi and Rachel behind us on day 1:

Outside Monterey, WV:

New River Gorge:

Blue Ridge Parkway (Day 3, 800 miles down - her butt is not happy):

post #13 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Very cool man! Sometimes I miss the carefree days of my youth! Idid put 300 miles on my 9er last weekend but it was all in one day, looks like you guys had fun.

post #14 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 AM
Milites Gregarius

Great Pics!! Makes me wanna saddle up and just go.... thanks!!

2006 Honda 919
2002 Honda XR400R
2005 Honda CRF 150 (Wifes)
1993 Suzuki VX800 *
1981 Honda CB750 Custom *

* Sold
post #15 of 15 Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 AM
RMWL

It was an awesome trip! :-D

My ass was sore right above the thigh. Because it was hot and sweaty I also ended up with ass mumps (monkey butt?) The insides of my thumbs also got numb, and this season is the first season that the numbness stays, even when I'm not riding. Not sure what thats about. I do have a crampbuster.

I ended up getting a sheepskin pad for the FZ from alaskaleather.com after this trip. I paid extra for two-day shipping because I've got a 5 day trip to Ohio coming up this weekend. It actually showed up the day after I ordered it, all the way from Alaska! Hopefully it'll help!

Also ordered perforated boots...my feet were miserable in the Sidi Cobras on Day 2 and 3.

Soaking my tshirt with drinking water at stops helped keep me cool. At the hotel we met a guy that was on a BMW and had something called a cool shirt. Basically a t-shirt with tubing stitched into it. He ran it to a box of ice water and it circulated to keep him cool.

The tire seems to be fine. We ran (hard) the rest of the trip on it and rode the part of the tire that was plugged while cornering hard left. I'm taking it to Ohio this weekend and I'll swap it out sometime after. I know its a gamble...

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good .45 at your side, kid

2006 FZ1, Red & fully Ivanized
2008 YZF-R6, Raven, Mostly stock

2010 Toyota Tacoma, jacked & TRD Supercharged, 15mpg on 93

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode