Man, do I feel stupid. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Livin the dream

Man, do I feel stupid.

I decided to wash my bike today. Side note: It's amazing that it doesn't look that dirty until I wash it, and then it looks so much better.

So anyway, get done washing and dry it all off real good. Hop on to move it back into the garage. Turn the key on and gauges do all of their self test stuff, oil light comes on, but no fuel pump whine. I think, "Oh crap. I've really messed something up." I start mentally thinking through all the threads I have seen on here about electrical issues. Maybe I got water in a connector.

I try the key several more times with the same results. Everything seems to be working except no fuel pump. I try the starter. Nothing. I am beginning to get concerned. I remember something about the switch housings and wires getting pinched or loose or something so I tap on the switch housing. It's right then I noticed that while I was drying it I must have flipped the engine run switch to off.

Man, do I feel like an idiot.

Doug

BTW, someone told me once if you want to really confound some Harley riders, turn their engine switch to off. Rarely do they ever do this and they will just about go nuts trying to figure out why their bike won't start. Apparently it works on some of us non Harley owners too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Tirone

Nice. I once forgot to put up my side stand when I shut my bike off, and then when I tried to start it in gear, forgot to put it back up. Didn't work to well.

post #3 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I barely touch the emergency cut-out switch. I always use the key to switch the engine off, just like you would with a car.

post #4 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I remember being taught to use it in riders training. I use it so often now that the likelyhood of that happening is almost nil.

post #5 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM
US Army

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

one of my friends with a Harley ALWAYS turns his engine switch off, and to co-sign lemonhead that's also how they teach you in the MSF course.

post #6 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

+1 on the always using the switch suggestion (also picked up at the MSF course). I've been known to walk around buddies bikes and flip the switch to see how long it takes them. My bike is usually off before I get parked via the "emergency switch"

On that note, I believe Alinosa does not use his for fears that the switch will wear out. Any validity to this from others that always use the switch?

post #7 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

awesome. i feel intelligent now.

post #8 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 10:11 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I have to consciously choose to not use the kill switch... I know plenty of riders who never do, though.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Le So Cal Troll

always find it hilarious when u flip a persons switch who normally dont use it to see how long it takes em. haha.

post #10 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Riding buddies have, so far as I know, only used the ignition key as an on/off switch. Maybe its just the school of thought in this neck of the woods. I was always led to believe and tought that it is an emergency kill switch. Also, why use 2 switches to start and switch your bike off?

post #11 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I started out using the kill switch as taught in the MSF until I forgot to turn the key off and ran my battery down. After that I use the ignition switch.

post #12 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

the key has always worked for me, there, im done

post #13 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I started out using the kill switch as taught in the MSF until I forgot to turn the key off and ran my battery down. After that I use the ignition switch.

Exactly what happened to me! I don't use the e-kill anymore.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Tirone

kill switch.........is that a euphemism for trigger?

post #15 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

My kill switch on my Harley is NOT even hooked up.

I like to just point at the ground at a stoplight when next to someone on a bike, then they think they have a problem or leak or something, and I just ride off when the light turns green, they are left there looking for whatever I pointed at which was nothing.

Try it it works, especially on Harley riders, they think they have an oil leak or something..........

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #16 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 08:00 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

My father-in-law taught me to use the switch and then it was cemented in my brain during my MSF course. In fact I get pissed at myself when I find that I forgot to turn it to the off position. I believe the name for it is the “Engine Run/Kill Switch” and not the “Emergency Kill Switch”. I know it turns on your fuel pump. I will turn my ignition on the gauges do their thing when they normal up I turn on the Switch and wait for the pump to do its thing then I press the starter switch. Just my normal routine.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I won't tell the entire story here, but there is a thread on here that details my retardedness. I was on my way home from work and about 1 mile from the house, the bike just died. After checking things out, I pushed it about 1/4 mile before I could push no more. The entire remaining mile is up hill. Ended up walking to the house, getting my truck, then driving back and loading it up on my own, with no power, and no hill to help ease the angle. As soon as I got back to the house, I realized the kill switch was the problem. :sigh:

Do we have a smilie that is slapping its chest and trying to bite its ear?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMountaintop View Post
My kill switch on my Harley is NOT even hooked up.

I like to just point at the ground at a stoplight when next to someone on a bike, then they think they have a problem or leak or something, and I just ride off when the light turns green, they are left there looking for whatever I pointed at which was nothing.

Try it it works, especially on Harley riders, they think they have an oil leak or something..........
That's hilarious, I'm going to do this the next time I ride...

post #19 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I don't use the kill switch for 2 reasons.

1. Way too often people use the kill switch & then forget to turn the key off which results in a dead battery and after several times that leads to a premature failure of the battery altogether.

2. I have seen the Kill switch used so frequently that the contacts start to wear out which can leave you stranded if you can't get the bike started etc... I'd rather have the switch in good condition so that if an emergency does happen it is there at my discretion.

post #20 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Immune

Out of curiousity, what is the MSF rationale for using the e-kill switch everytime to shut the bike off?

Regarding people doing stupid things, I went riding with a friend that had borrowed another friends cycle. He never checked the gas and ran out. Pulled over, flipped it to reserve and started cranking the engine over. Let it spin on the starter for about five seconds and then let off the starter-button. When subsequently pressing the starter button nothing happened! He thought he fried the starter by letting it spin too long. So then he takes my bike to go get his truck to pick up the bike. Sitting there on the side of the road bored, I quickly realized (which the owner later confirmed) that you have to shut the key off between each pressing of the start button. Keeps you from grinding the starter when the bike is running... I ripped to my friend's house before he could get hi truck started...

post #21 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
I don't use the kill switch for 2 reasons.

1. Way too often people use the kill switch & then forget to turn the key off which results in a dead battery and after several times that leads to a premature failure of the battery altogether.

2. I have seen the Kill switch used so frequently that the contacts start to wear out which can leave you stranded if you can't get the bike started etc... I'd rather have the switch in good condition so that if an emergency does happen it is there at my discretion.
+1000...!

my 3rd reason: on my vlx, the kill switch is known around the world to be a weak point in an otherwise bulletproof bike. for some reason, honda decided to have the headlight power go through the kill switch as well so the contacts wear out at a highly accelerated rate. on the vlx forum, using the kill switch for other than an emergency is a big NO-NO! since i had to repair MY kill switch after using it 1 too many times and got stranded, i havent touched it since, nor have i touched the ninja's when i had it, and the same for the 9er. i dont trust honda and their kill switches

post #22 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You see...what you do is when you pull up to your buddy at the light, you point something to the left to steer their attention away and THEN hit their kill switch. It's priceless when you get the ones who panic.

But MSF got me always using the killswitch. Usually put it on neutral and hit the switch before I get to a full stop when parking.

post #23 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
But MSF got me always using the killswitch.
Did they explain or justify why they are teaching you this?

post #24 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Did they explain or justify why they are teaching you this?
Yes they explain this. Most of the MSF course is about safety. By using the engine switch you do not need to remove your hand from the bars. This can be considered safer than reaching for the key -- some bikes do not have the key in the gauge cluster.

Usage of the engine switch is integrated in their start-up and shutdown steps. I do not even think about the switch anymore, its use has become automatic.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

post #25 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
h8tenhogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
+1 on the always using the switch suggestion (also picked up at the MSF course). I've been known to walk around buddies bikes and flip the switch to see how long it takes them. My bike is usually off before I get parked via the "emergency switch"

On that note, I believe Alinosa does not use his for fears that the switch will wear out. Any validity to this from others that always use the switch?
the kill switch. that's what it was intended to be used for.so i always use it.turn the key to on let the computer warm up ...self test and on with the power button...how often do you want the lights on but not the motor...for me thats alll the time quite often i dont come home until way after dark.So the kill switch is the way to go.it used to help with my dogs.but they got wise to me sneaking up to the house.so bark bark bark. it dont work anymore.

post #26 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

[QUOTE=andrewebay1;402786]You see...what you do is when you pull up to your buddy at the light, you point something to the left to steer their attention away and THEN hit their kill switch. It's priceless when you get the ones who panic.

+100

post #27 of 33 Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The only thing I use the kill switch for is jacking the traffic light sensors imbedded in the asphalt. On stubborn sensors that don't seem to know when the bike and I are there, I quickly stop and start the motor a few times, which usually gets the sensor's attention.

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
post #28 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Gets censored

I use mine everytime just out of habit i guess??

My embarassing story is when 1st started riding I went to park my gsxr 95 i think it was. So I pulled into my yard put the stand down and got off. Wham 2 seconds later... sucked but it was in the grass.

post #29 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamperman View Post
The only thing I use the kill switch for is jacking the traffic light sensors imbedded in the asphalt. On stubborn sensors that don't seem to know when the bike and I are there, I quickly stop and start the motor a few times, which usually gets the sensor's attention.

That really works? I suppose it might, the starter could affect a ground inductance loop... I'm going to have to try that...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #30 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

They sell those snake oil light changer thingy's on Ebay.....

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #31 of 33 Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
That really works? I suppose it might, the starter could affect a ground inductance loop... I'm going to have to try that...

Hmm... I usually just put the kickstand down and push the crosswalk button or just go through the light. But you could also buy the magnet attachment for bikes that's suppose to change lights. I believe the sensors look for metal via a magnet sensor.

Also, here in Seattle, some intersections with less used streets crossing with heavily used roads will have a round tar-like marking right by where you'd stop (usually placed so that it would be right under your engine in a car) that have sensors. Don't know if that's just here or if those are everywhere. You pull over one of those and scoot back and forth and that usually does the trick too.

post #32 of 33 Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Tirone

This happened to me at an intersection. Must have hit the kill switch, engine wouldn't start, I was holding up traffic, cars ended up going around me, horns where honking. I started to get off and push it into a gas station to figure out what was wrong, then I realized it....

I think I'm going to disconnect that thing. I never use it.

post #33 of 33 Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrissom View Post
I think I'm going to disconnect that thing. I never use it.
def dont disconnect it. it's handy in an emergency situation! case in point: the accident i had with a pickup that whipped a u-turn in front of me on weds, i hit the truck hard and then went down pretty hard. the key was totally out of reach for me and being in too much pain, i couldnt crawl over to the bike and turn it off. BUT, the engine was still running so i HAD to turn it off. the bike was on it's side and i knew it wasnt going to be able to suck up oil. luckily, the kill switch was within reach after rolling over and i hit that switch so fast i was glad it was there even though i NEVER use it. about 3 minutes later, i was able to have someone turn the key and shut the bike off so the battery didnt drain.

its an emergency kill switch, use it as such.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode