Low speed balancing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
dr1
dr1

Low speed balancing

I've been meaning to post this question up for awhile now. I have pretty good balance with the bike I think, but I've noticed some things lately. Like when I come to this one stop sign every day thats on an uphill incline, I never touch the ground.. whether I fully stop or not, I could probably roll backwards and feel fine. Conversely when I'm pulling to a stop on a downhill, im throwing my leg out much sooner.

I came to the conclusion it must have to do with how much weight im putting on the bars, and/or how much I'm using the front brake and compressing the suspension. But I'm just guessing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

That's an interesting observation to make. I like to play a game against myself where I keep my feet up as long as possible without becoming unbalanced when coming to a stop. I'm not really sure why, there's no real point to it...it's just something I do. I guess that's probably not very relevant to what you're talking about, but so it goes!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 PM
919>food>beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
That's an interesting observation to make. I like to play a game against myself where I keep my feet up as long as possible without becoming unbalanced when coming to a stop. I'm not really sure why, there's no real point to it...it's just something I do.
I do the same thing, its a fun challenge, kinda like slow dragging.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
That's an interesting observation to make. I like to play a game against myself where I keep my feet up as long as possible without becoming unbalanced when coming to a stop. I'm not really sure why, there's no real point to it...it's just something I do. I guess that's probably not very relevant to what you're talking about, but so it goes!
it may seem pointless,but it's a good balance exercise.it teaches muscle memory,the air marshalls practice drawing and firing blindfolded(seems pointless) to teach muscle memory.

dad got me doing the same thing,it can be fun. the cars behind you must be confused,or amazed

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #5 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I play the same game. as to the original post I would guess that your guess is correct. depending on what you do with your upper body there would be more weight on your handle bars, which usually seems to cause them to move more when at very low speeds for myself anyway.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #6 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Imaginifer

For real slow riding it is always good practice to use the rear brake as this stabilises the bike and makes it easier to control.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #7 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Same deal, I keep my feet on the pegs and try to balance on the crank. In fact I cringe at the folks who have their feet down and dragging 30 feet before a stop.

post #8 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Or don't pick them back up for 30 feet after they're going again.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I do the same, its actually amasing to see how long you can actually balance the bike at almost no speed.

When I leave to go home from work, I need to reverse the bike out of its space, I get both feet on the pegs going backwards, but as soon as I put some power on, I have to put a foot down to stabilise it going forward again.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I always try to keep my feet up as long as possible, usually a few seconds after a full stop, riding a trials bike for a few years helps too.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Farab, your 919 has REVERSE?? that's awesome! must be a NZ special mod...

only kidding, of course. I have had a few strange looks for not putting my feet down, but not a lot. Other motorcycle enthusiasts seem not to be very suprised by it, and cagers are just oblivious!

There is a 3-way stop just down the street from my house that the cops like to keep an eye on...easy tickets i suppose. Anyway, I commonly ride up, do a complete stop and then move on at that one. I can usually balance for between 3-15 seconds before I start to fall. it's all in good fun!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:

only kidding, of course. I have had a few strange looks for not putting my feet down, but not a lot. Other motorcycle enthusiasts seem not to be very suprised by it, and cagers are just oblivious!

There is a 3-way stop just down the street from my house that the cops like to keep an eye on...easy tickets i suppose. Anyway, I commonly ride up, do a complete stop and then move on at that one. I can usually balance for between 3-15 seconds before I start to fall. it's all in good fun!

haha! I usually give a shove backwards and place feet on pegs.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
The Cripple

Quote:

interesting dude... i was told by a local cop that while on a motorcycle, i had to put my foot down to indicate a complete stop or i could get ticketed for failure to stop. not sure what to make of it at the time so i just do that for stop signs where it appears likely a cop would ambush or when i know a cop is around. otherwise, i do the same as you described and it is a good exercise that helps in low speed manuverings. another game i like to do is try and drag out the stop as much as possible when approaching a light to try and time it so i dont have to put my feet down at all. you'd be surprised how much you can do to maintain your balance with very little forward motion.

post #14 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjayp View Post
Or don't pick them back up for 30 feet after they're going again.
Yep, they sure bug me too, pick it up or loose it!

The foot down when you do a full stop thing is one of those rule I think they'll only enforce per local mood.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1 View Post
I've been meaning to post this question up for awhile now. I have pretty good balance with the bike I think, but I've noticed some things lately. Like when I come to this one stop sign every day thats on an uphill incline, I never touch the ground.. whether I fully stop or not, I could probably roll backwards and feel fine. Conversely when I'm pulling to a stop on a downhill, im throwing my leg out much sooner.

I came to the conclusion it must have to do with how much weight im putting on the bars, and/or how much I'm using the front brake and compressing the suspension. But I'm just guessing.

You may also have yours eyes focused differently. My uphill stops are much smoother also: no front fork compression or wobble. Try focusing at a longer distance with your head up and eyes level with the horizon on the downhill.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode