Legal ? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Legal ?

Just wondering about turn signals , got a set of LED bulbs (red) and i know for a fact red is perfectley legal to use on the rear signals but i'm not sure about the front , can they be red too or is amber the only acceptable way !!!!? (legally)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Tesserarius

I believe red is only legal on the rear of a vehicle/motorcycle.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
I believe red is only legal on the rear of a vehicle/motorcycle.
ya... you wont see red turn signals in the front of anything. at least as the only sole turn signals.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Discen

That's what i figured but wasn't totally sure (could swear i've seen a couple harley riders with red in front too)

post #5 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangster View Post
That's what i figured but wasn't totally sure (could swear i've seen a couple harley riders with red in front too)
NEVER follow what hd riders do. rule 1. haha

post #6 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Milites Gregarius

you can look up DMV motor laws online, I'm guessing there are soo many you can pick certain ones out that will show they are legal and others showing they aren't. If you really want the red ones then run 'em... just go print out the laws you think prove they ARE legal. When a cop pulls you over you have the proof (or at least the half that is to your advantage).

post #7 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Le So Cal Troll

but ya, if you like em run em... the cop is gonna be an asshole anyways if he pulls you over for red blinkers... if he doesnt / cant give you a ticket for them being red ur gonna get a ticket for something else.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Milites Gregarius

and honestly I don't see any harm in a motorcycle "standing out"... we should legally be allowed to run christmas-lights around our bikes.

post #9 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

This reg is from the USDOT website, and it has a table waaaaaaay down at the bottom that details what's required on vehicles from e federal perspective: Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

For motorcycles it says that turn signals can be red or amber on the rear only. Front turn signals need to be amber. Here's the section:
Quote:
At or near the front—1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 4 inchesAt or near the rear—1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4–inches, when a single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.
It probably wouldn't hurt to check with local regs as I'm sure they can differ, and I'm not sure how binding these are compared to state and local regs...

post #10 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

OMFG ! Is THAT where our tax dollars are going ? Any half-college-ass-wit could parse that junk down to 30% of what it is and not lose any of the meaning.

No wonder america is so screwed up. I bet if we all read that with a fine tooth comb, we'd all be wrong.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
OMFG ! Is THAT where our tax dollars are going ? Any half-college-ass-wit could parse that junk down to 30% of what it is and not lose any of the meaning.

No wonder america is so screwed up. I bet if we all read that with a fine tooth comb, we'd all be wrong.
Lol, I now help make systems for the Marine Corps, and I can tell you one of my biggest gripes is the paperwork! We have people sending documents back because they didn't like the font on a page number, because they want to use "the" instead of "that", and other assorted crap-assery! I had one report held up for nine months because one of the government people "forgot" to read it.... for 9 frickin months!

And they wonder why we can't field needed equipment to the Marines out in the fleet!

post #12 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

LOL ! And I thought the communications industry was bad

post #13 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Milites Gregarius

guess that makes the majority of the LED turn signals "illegal" since they sure aren't mounted 9" apart in the rear or 16" apart in the front. I wonder how many cops know or pay attention to these laws. or maybe they just choose to look the other way...

post #14 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
It should be mentioned that those regs are for *new* vehicles and it is up to the individual state as to whether any or all of it applies after the sale or not. Also, IIRC, there is a special dispensation for motorcycles that eases the distance requirements, etc.

But I do not think there is a single US state that permits red front signals or running light on a non-emergency vehicle.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #15 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Señor Calamares

Integrated brake/turn signals are illegal then?! Aww man...

post #16 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by applespeed View Post
Integrated brake/turn signals are illegal then?! Aww man...

Technically yes, that's why they don't ship as stock on any new bike.

But you don't necessarily have to comply with the FMVSS code after it's been sold. Then it's up to your individual state as to whether or not that's an issue. Texas policy, for example, is that you don't have to have turn signals at all on your bike, but if you have them they have to work. We have no requirement for the signals to comply with FMVSS, either, at least not that I know of. My headlight is supposed to comply with FMVSS, though.

It's just like the FMVSS for exhaust noise - the law says that a motorcycle may not produce more than 80dB at 5000rpm. This only applies at time of sale. After you buy it, what you do with it is only restricted by the state. Unfortunately, if you live in the People's Republik of Kalieephonia, forget about any louder exhausts. If you live in Texas, pretty much nobody cares.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode