KTM 620 rxc oil leak - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored

KTM 620 rxc oil leak

I posted this on ADVrider but honestly you guys are cooler and more entertaining. I wanted to give a KTM update, I am enjoying wrenching on it but Id really like to ride the F'n thing.....

Hey guys need a little guidance please and thanks. I have a 98 KTM 620 rxc. Its been a fixer upper just got the fueling problem resolved and rode it for the 1st time. It made power and shifted good for about 2 blocks then sputtered and stalled. I noticed a pool of oil under it, coming from the front sprocket. I topped the oil off and it fired right back up.

2 questions.

1) where can I get the seal besides waiting 4 weeks for KTM to send it and can someone give me a brief install tutorial?

2) would low oil pressure cause the motor to sputter and stall?

Thanks!

-Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Princeps Prior

That was one thing I hated about my Duke 620 ---- the damn thing sprayed oil on me I don't know how many times.... loose oil lines, gaskets, yada yada.... be riding home from work --- a line would pop and you'd be covered waist down. The damn thing also kept breaking clutch lines ---- went through about 4.....everytime just about leaving me high and dry on the side of the highway.

I digress.......

Brian.....make sure you haven't overfilled the KTM --- if you do, it will spit oil out whereever it can. You can even blow out the countershaft seal and cause the leak. The crankcase breather will always leak a little, you just get use to it. also --- on the 620 there are a TON of external oil lines.... any one of them can let a little oil leak past their crush washer ----- make sure your bike is absolutely clean, start it....then look for leaks. The leak may be coming for some place other than what it apears.

I believe you have oil in the frame on your bike? ---- if you do, you absolutely need to make sure you follow the oil-air 'burping' of the frame preceedure in the service manual. If you don't.... you can get an air lock and ruin your engine by not letting oil go to where it needs to go. Theres an air 'burp' screw on the right side below the steering head.....

Resource #1

Munn Racing - Chip Munn is a good place to get the seal on-line. They'll also have parts diagrams on-line of just about any KTM......they'll have your bike in there for sure.

Resource #2

---- on the lake shore near Lake Michigan/Grand Haven, Michigan.....we have a KTM dealership that is KTM dirtbikes only --- the guys a racer and is absolutely brilliant. (even with the older stuff)

The guys name is Ron from Lake Cycle.... 616-846-3770. I'd call him and bounce your questions off of him.....

He could also order the seal for you if you want.....

Resource #3

The other guy to PM --- is 'Creeper' on ADVrider. The guy use to write repair manauls for the KTM's and has owned many 620 Adventures.... (same motor) He also wrote the KTM LC4 'bible' posted on ADVrider.

This guy is like LDH on CRACK. pay him the utmost respect

post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Princeps Prior

More random thoughts of things to check

On the KTM 620 ----- you absolutely NEED to readjust the valves EVERY time you change the oil. (which should be done every 1,500 or so miles) If you're having problems with it starting/running right...... your intake valves may be too tight.

It is also a known problem that every 10,000-15,000 miles that the 620's EAT rocker rollers and the ocassional camshaft. I had a friend on SupermotoJunkie that had gone through 3 camshafts during ownership. I went through 1.

Have you double checked fuel flow? pop off your fuel line going to your carburater..... make sure fuel flows and that your petcock strainer isn't clogged.

Also --- leave your fuel petcock on....and unscrew the drain screw at the bottom of your Keihin FCR --- make sure you get a steady stream of fuel. This proves that your fuel valve & strainer is working correctly inside of your carb.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Yeah I cleaned it up and its definitly coming from behind the front sprocket. And there is a "burb" thingy on my steering head...

post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Princeps Prior

Here you go..... written by 'Creeper' himself.

LC4 Sprocket seal replacement... - ADVrider

post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Princeps Prior

Here also is MeatPopcicles & Creepers ---- LC4 bible thread.

You'll find the 'burping' preceedure and the Valve inspection/adjustment links.

KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index - ADVrider

post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Here you go..... written by 'Creeper' himself.

LC4 Sprocket seal replacement... - ADVrider
Thats a great write up there, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored

The lines all look good and fuel is flowing. Any chance there is a oil pressure sensor on these things and that would cause a shut down? The oil leak is very significant.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Brian, give me a shout if you button that unit up. I've been bustin' my ass with mid-terms and work and I'm ready for a ride. I've never had a spring break before.... at my age a motorcycle ride is smarter than eating a bunch of drugs and driving to Lauderdale to dive off a balcony.

Arctic, you are a valuable resource... good lookin' out!

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode