Isle of Man vacation - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Isle of Man vacation

My wife is wanting to plan a trip to Ireland next year and I thought i would try to incorporate a trip to the isle of man for the TT's.

Has anyone done this?

How do I get from Dublin to the IOM?

Is it worth it?

Best places to see the race?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
My wife is wanting to plan a trip to Ireland next year and I thought i would try to incorporate a trip to the isle of man for the TT's.

Has anyone done this? I haven't.
How do I get from Dublin to the IOM? I don't know.
Is it worth it? Yes.
Best places to see the race? Setting beside your new best friend who you paid all expenses for. His name is HondaJim.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I agree with HondaJim except on the name of your new best friend.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Imaginifer

Ive been to the Isle of Man twice....a few years ago though. Its a great place to go, I never saw much of the racing as from where we used to watch, they just flew past at hairy speeds! but the atmosphere was great including the night life.
There are ferry's from Dublin to Douglas...see link.
Dublin to Douglas Ferry Crossing - Ferries from Dublin to Douglas

Yes it is worth it and i keep meaning to go back!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #5 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Here is my advice/ summer trip.

Fly into Manchester, England (I usually take U.S. Air Philly to Manchester non stop.
Go to bike rental place- pick up bike and head to the ferry (100 miles or so).
Get off the ferry in Ireland go into Dublin for a day or two then ride south down the coast of Ireland taking it easy along the coast.

Ferry back over into England then up the U.K. Coast to Liverpool. Ferry from Liverpool to isle of man for a day or two. I think Manchester and Liverpool are two really fun cities.
Back onto the ferry into the UK and back to Manchester, dump the bike off, night in Manchester, then fly straight home.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
Here is my advice/ summer trip.

Fly into Manchester, England (I usually take U.S. Air Philly to Manchester non stop.
Go to bike rental place- pick up bike and head to the ferry (100 miles or so).
Get off the ferry in Ireland go into Dublin for a day or two then ride south down the coast of Ireland taking it easy along the coast.

Ferry back over into England then up the U.K. Coast to Liverpool. Ferry from Liverpool to isle of man for a day or two. I think Manchester and Liverpool are two really fun cities.
Back onto the ferry into the UK and back to Manchester, dump the bike off, night in Manchester, then fly straight home.
Hmmn... Add a week to that itinerary and I'm in! :001_smile:

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #7 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

I went to the Isle of Man in '78 and watched Mike Hailwood run. When he won his race he was anashamedly crying, as were many around him. I even tried to get his autograph, but he was so swamped with admirers I couldn't get within 1/4 mile of him (seriously). On my first day there I met a Cecilia, a chambermaid working in a bed and breakfast next to mine, and spent the next two weeks getting back to my bed after sunup (never did eat breakfast there), get maybe 20 minutes sleep, then Linda (one of the maids) would roust me out so she could make the bed. By the fourth day, she started going to bed with me for an hour or so. Don't ask me where all my energy was coming from, I have no idea. For the entire two weeks I ate maybe 2 meals -- lived on Guiness and the local bitters (ale), couldn't close out the Athol cabaret because they never closed, got a grand total of about 5 hours of sleep, and talked to a racer who showed me his helmet with 3 long scratches on it from "tapping" (his term) a stone wall on three consecutive laps at over 120 MPH. Fantastic racing, wonderful people, one of whom lent me his Norton and told me he'd need it back with a full tank by the end of the day. Didn't know me from Adam. Rode the entire course at almost sane speeds. Oh, I made the trip with my brother, and saw him maybe twice the whole time. He still hasn't entirely forgiven me.

There is no "best" location to view the races, it is after all over 37 miles long, but my favorite view points were Ballaugh Bridge, Crag-Ny-Baa with it's long downhill chute from Kate's Cottage, and the inside of Cronk Y Voddy with a relatively clear sight line to Barregarrow, where the open senior bikes were hitting over 180 MPH with their rear tires occasionally in contact with the tarmac -- it is, or was as I haven't been back since, a quite rough stretch of road.

I took the ferry from Manchester, not Dublin, but Cecilia was from Ireland and did take that ferry.

All told, it was one of the best times of my life.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
I went to the Isle of Man in '78 and watched Mike Hailwood run. When he won his race he was anashamedly crying, as were many around him. I even tried to get his autograph, but he was so swamped with admirers I couldn't get within 1/4 mile of him (seriously). On my first day there I met a Cecilia, a chambermaid working in a bed and breakfast next to mine, and spent the next two weeks getting back to my bed after sunup (never did eat breakfast there), get maybe 20 minutes sleep, then Linda (one of the maids) would roust me out so she could make the bed. By the fourth day, she started going to bed with me for an hour or so. Don't ask me where all my energy was coming from, I have no idea. For the entire two weeks I ate maybe 2 meals -- lived on Guiness and the local bitters (ale), couldn't close out the Athol cabaret because they never closed, got a grand total of about 5 hours of sleep, and talked to a racer who showed me his helmet with 3 long scratches on it from "tapping" (his term) a stone wall on three consecutive laps at over 120 MPH. Fantastic racing, wonderful people, one of whom lent me his Norton and told me he'd need it back with a full tank by the end of the day. Didn't know me from Adam. Rode the entire course at almost sane speeds. Oh, I made the trip with my brother, and saw him maybe twice the whole time. He still hasn't entirely forgiven me.

There is no "best" location to view the races, it is after all over 37 miles long, but my favorite view points were Ballaugh Bridge, Crag-Ny-Baa with it's long downhill chute from Kate's Cottage, and the inside of Cronk Y Voddy with a relatively clear sight line to Barregarrow, where the open senior bikes were hitting over 180 MPH with their rear tires occasionally in contact with the tarmac -- it is, or was as I haven't been back since, a quite rough stretch of road.

I took the ferry from Manchester, not Dublin, but Cecilia was from Ireland and did take that ferry.

All told, it was one of the best times of my life.

Rob
It must of been a good ferry Rob, as Manchester is about 30 miles inland from the coast.
If you fly into Manchester you can catch the ferry from Liverpool,Heysham or Birkenhead....The ferrys are run by the Steam packet company...the crossing is quite expensive for a 3 hour crossing. And if its for the TT you want to book early as it get full quickly.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyeee View Post
It must of been a good ferry Rob, as Manchester is about 30 miles inland from the coast.
My mistake -- I stayed with a friend in Manchester, but took the ferry from Liverpool. Must be reaching my dotage.[QUOTE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode