(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If only this would happen more often.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iamatotalpi...ries_to_block/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Unpossible.

Garage
Just tap your brakes, bro, and carry on with your life. It's not that hard.

So many hair trigger riders out there getting pissed off at everything and raising hell for the slightest offenses.
mcromo44 and Islandboy like this.

post #3 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 06:48 AM
Tirone

While you're probably justified in being cheesed off by what's shown in the video, that's a dangerous game to be playing with a 500 lb motorcycle vs 3500 lb car with a clueless driver. If you go down from that encounter, the driver of the car is not likely to be injured nor likely to improve driving skills. Yeah, just let the idiot go and figure some day an 80,000 lb truck will even the score.
Islandboy likes this.

post #4 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 09:30 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernintendo View Post

Just tap your brakes, bro, and carry on with your life. It's not that hard.
Yeah, that or speed up and close the gap on the truck then she wouldn’t have had time to get beside him anyway.

Heck if it was me I probably would have whacked the throttle and been in front of the truck anyway, but that’s just me.
I hate being behind big trucks (even though I drive one for work) because of visibility.

As far as getting the cops involved for something like that, b-tch move IMO.
KarlJay and Islandboy like this.

post #5 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
Yeah, that or speed up and close the gap on the truck then she wouldn’t have had time to get beside him anyway.

Heck if it was me I probably would have whacked the throttle and been in front of the truck anyway, but that’s just me.
I hate being behind big trucks (even though I drive one for work) because of visibility.

As far as getting the cops involved for something like that, b-tch move IMO.
That's probably what I would do too, hate being directly behind a truck like that.

I think the important thing is that the driver was breaking the law and even when being told she was breaking the law, refused to comply with the law.

We have laws, police and courts for a reason. She likely has a ticket and maybe will learn a lesson, allowing someone to do this, only makes it happen more often.

If you refuse to stand up to illegal behavior, you only get more illegal behavior.
Islandboy likes this.

post #6 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 01:15 PM
919 Rider

Its shit like that why I won't ride in a city no more.

post #7 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Tesserarius

The dude on the bike should have simply backed down. What he did was stupid. Then running to the cop was pretty childish.

post #8 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
The dude on the bike should have simply backed down. What he did was stupid. Then running to the cop was pretty childish.
What he did wasn't very safe, but he wasn't at fault. If we let people get away with these thing, they'll just continue.

100% of every accident I've had on a motorcycle has been someone else's fault. They break the law and I've paid the price.

Drinking and driving, blowing off a light / stop sign. Someone turned in front of me without proper signal and didn't understand that he had done something wrong.

Even when being honked at, she still didn't obey the law.

I hope she got a serious ticket and learned from it.

Why wouldn't you suggest that the person that actually broke the law should have been the one to back down? Would it have been different if he were in a truck and she was the one in greater danger?

Seeing people break the law with no consequence is a real problem.

post #9 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 07:35 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
What he did wasn't very safe, but he wasn't at fault. If we let people get away with these thing, they'll just continue.

Why wouldn't you suggest that the person that actually broke the law should have been the one to back down? Would it have been different if he were in a truck and she was the one in greater danger?
Leverage.
They both should have backed down (or made an evasive acceleration), but that being said she had the size/safety leverage, just as a big truck would have in your mentioned example.

Not right but sometimes you have to deal the hand you’re dealt, especially when on a motorcycle.

This wasn’t a freak/instantaneous accident, it was a situation where all parties had plenty of time to react.

As far as him being at fault, he wasn’t legally.
But in two aspects he likely would have lost had they both remained stubborn and just ran into each other.

1.Injuries/damages.

2. Insurance claim. I know from experience.
I was not at fault, the other driver ran a red light on a left turn while I had a right green arrow, and then went directly into my lane and hit the side of my car, we were turning onto a road with 2 lanes in the direction we were going.
The other driver was ticketed, but her insurance company tried to pin 50% fault on me, saying I had time to avoid the accident and should have.
It took a serious fight, involving binding arbitration to get her insurance to pay 100% of the damages.
This motorcycle situation would have been even more damning in the insurance companies eyes as he would have had plenty of time to avoid the accident.

As far as getting the cops involved, that is probably more just philosophical differences.
I am not anti-police.
Family members and friends who are officers.
My son will be majoring in criminal justice next year with the goal of becoming a police officer.
Without getting into a huge political type discussion I just think we have too much of nanny state mindset in all/many aspects of our lives and governments as societies.

I understand law enforcement plays a critical role in public safety, but many things (not just law related) people just need to work out or get over and not get some authority, boss, legal involvement, etc.
Not saying all situations, I’m not a libertarian free for all society type (that doesn’t work when humans are involved). But too much nannying as we currently live.

Heck, when I wrecked my bike (no other parties involved). We got the thing picked up, checked out and got out of there just so we wouldn’t have to get the cops involved.

post #10 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 09:49 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
The lady driver needed a throat punch and an eye gouge...........................
It's comes with equality.
Islandboy likes this.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #11 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Tesserarius

Had the motorcyclist simply backed down instead of trying to prove something, that incident would never escalated into what it did. Sometimes even when you're right, you have to be the more mature person.

He put his own personal wellbeing at risk. He put his ability to earn an income, and his family's financial stability at risk. And for what? To prove he's a little smarter than the car driver? Is his ego really all that important?
Let it go.

Do you think paying a ticket, if she even got a ticket (maybe she just got a warning), do you think that fixed stupid? There are always going to be stupid people, and unfortunately, they're issued driver's licenses. And you're not going to change a single one of them, with a ticket.

post #12 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Had the motorcyclist simply backed down instead of trying to prove something, that incident would never escalated into what it did. Sometimes even when you're right, you have to be the more mature person.

He put his own personal wellbeing at risk. He put his ability to earn an income, and his family's financial stability at risk. And for what? To prove he's a little smarter than the car driver? Is his ego really all that important?
Let it go.

Do you think paying a ticket, if she even got a ticket (maybe she just got a warning), do you think that fixed stupid? There are always going to be stupid people, and unfortunately, they're issued driver's licenses. And you're not going to change a single one of them, with a ticket.
This isn't the way society works. When you don't have punishment for wrong things, the wrong things become more common.

Just as you can examine the risk of the one moment in time, what about the 100 moments in time that they will cause to happen.

If you study risk analysis and systems design:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.GUl2ZuLc16s

https://books.google.com/books?id=DC...0Taleb&f=false

You understand that your path is one of destruction, this is why confrontations get larger and riots happen. This isn't about being a child "tattle tail", it's about public safety and someone that completely ignored public safety even when the guy was honking at her and waving, she STILL didn't back down.

There's a case of a 55 year old motorcycle rider that lost his life because of this. A young woman was on the phone while driving and killed a man on a motorcycle. She fled the scene leaving him there to die. It was her THIRD convictions for being on the phone, causing an accident and leaving the scene... She got FIVE years.

The courts have the same view as you, just let it go... Hit and run while on the phone happened twice before, and was "just let go". now a man is dead.

You may think what she did was good or ok, but it's not. Go back and look at him honking at her, does she follow the law then?

Read the books posted and find out why society is falling apart.
Bigdaa likes this.

post #13 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 05:34 PM
919 Rider

I prefer to avoid any large congregations of humans. It's much easier that way.
Bryce919er likes this.

post #14 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Remember, nobody's getting out alive.

post #15 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Tesserarius

I will agree that bad things happen when good men do nothing. But I tend to balance that with: Is this a hill worth dying for? Motorcycle vs car, and the bike is woefully out gunned. I am going to back off and live to ride another day.

Carma usually takes care of stupid people. Just give her time.

You can't fix stupid.

*As a side note, I always question why riders affix a camera to their helmet.

post #16 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
I will agree that bad things happen when good men do nothing. But I tend to balance that with: Is this a hill worth dying for? Motorcycle vs car, and the bike is woefully out gunned. I am going to back off and live to ride another day.

Carma usually takes care of stupid people. Just give her time.

You can't fix stupid.

*As a side note, I always question why riders affix a camera to their helmet.
You're assuming that death was his only option, yet he actually didn't die and she got pulled over.

It's not a "Is this hill worth dying for?" it's a question of is it worth reporting this to the police. He reported this to the police and didn't die.

post #17 of 21 Old 12-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Tirone

We choose to ride. That also means we choose to accompany all the people on the road, and all the things people do or don't do with, or in, their vehicles. I gotta ride like no one sees me.

post #18 of 21 Old 12-17-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranjvoodoo View Post
We choose to ride. That also means we choose to accompany all the people on the road, and all the things people do or don't do with, or in, their vehicles. I gotta ride like no one sees me.
The same can be said about people the drive cars and trucks. Riding a motorcycle has the same rights as driving a car.

It's not the issue of being safe that I'm concerned about, it's the issue of someone breaking the law even when it's honking and yelling at her.

She needs to be off the road, and I hope she really pays for that.

post #19 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Tirone

Not sure people making the choice to drive are making the same choice i make to ride. I don't know anyone who rides only out of necessity.

Scared drivers, careless drivers, or under practiced drivers are not all going away because I think they don't belong on the road. I love to be right, for sure. I also wanna avoid stupid crashes in spite of my pride

post #20 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranjvoodoo View Post
Not sure people making the choice to drive are making the same choice i make to ride. I don't know anyone who rides only out of necessity.

Scared drivers, careless drivers, or under practiced drivers are not all going away because I think they don't belong on the road. I love to be right, for sure. I also wanna avoid stupid crashes in spite of my pride
I do. My daily driver was a 66 mustang and it thru a rod about 5 years ago. I decided to restore the car and the motorcycle is my only legal transportation.

The other issue is that nobody needs to ride or drive. Life on this planet happened before cars and bikes, life on this planet wouldn't stop if people didn't drive or ride.

The real issue is that I have a right when I'm on the road. Some of us back down from standing up for our rights. Suggesting that death would happen if you stand up for your rights was dis-proven in the video. The guy in the video actually lived AND stood up for his rights.

IMO it's actually sad the people will be so damn scared to stand up for their rights. This is one of the reasons people like her are on the road.

If she came into your house and decided to remove a kidney under the threat of killing you, would you feel like you won because your not dead, even thou she took a kidney? At what point do you actually stand up for your rights?

What if the government puts you into an oven and you're near death, is that when you start to regret not standing up for your rights?

You're logic falls short when you say "I also wanna avoid stupid crashes in spite of my pride" You assume you're going to crash.

He didn't crash.

post #21 of 21 Old 12-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Karl, the rider in that video was a complete moron, and a giant baby. Just tap the brakes, add 2 seconds to your commute time. Complaining about drivers has never changed anything, and never will. Relying on the law to save you will never work. In my eyes, if there is any action a rider could have done to avoid a situation, and he didn't do it, then he is at fault, regardless of what the law says. The moment you get on the bike and decide to go on the road, anything that happens to you is your fault because you are the one who put yourself in that situation, knowing FULL WELL that many drivers are complete morons and can potentially take you out at any moment.
Supernintendo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode